State of GameSalad on 12-11-2017

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
edited December 2017 in GameSalad Kitchen

Hello everyone, here's some updates.

High Sierra

We have a new beta update that fixes the attribute visibility issues. There's a new issue with the latest High Sierra versions where the "Dashboard" crashes after login. But if you look at the top menu, you'll notice that GS is still running. You can use File > New or File > Open to edit your existing projects.

We should have a fix for that issue by next week. Here's a Dropbox download link for the beta:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3mdyt57tp44gk0/GameSalad-1.25.83-beta.zip?dl=0

iOS 11 and iPhone X Support

We're investigating some potential IAP issues still, but iOS 11 should be supported, as well as advertisement placements (mainly banners) for the iPhone X.

Web Version

We appreciate all the feedback in regards to the web version! It's very helpful. We pushed out an update over the weekend that includes pretty much everything that was mentioned in the last state of GameSalad:

New Features
- Undo
- Added a setting for the changing of actor size when an image is applied to it.
Previously: When an image was added the actor would change its width/height to match the image
Now: Through the setting you can choose to have the actor resize to ½, ¼, ⅔, or the full size of the image being applied

UI Updates / Changes
- First pass of tighter UI elements (affecting behaviors, lists in the library, attributes, etc)
- Dragging of actors starts on "mouse down" and doesn't require a click first.
- New Ways to organize Behavior Library (Unsorted [the default alphabetical], By Type, By Usage)
- If a behavior is disabled, it's errors become warnings now.
- Warning on deletion of attributes referenced in a behavior.
- Support for basic expression validation.
- New UI for hiding / showing sidebars.
- Settings/profile stuff is now also available at the top-right of the page for more intuitive access.
- Disabled behaviors appear faded
- Up/down scrolling for logic stack while dragging a behavior added (hold the behavior near the top or bottom of the logic stack to scroll)

Implemented Behaviors
- Accelerate Towards
- Buzz
- Change Velocity
- Change Size
- Close App (formerly Quit Game)
- Pause Music
- Play Music
- Stop Music
- Show Banner Ad
- Show "More Games" Ad
- Keyboard Input (Now labeled: Show Text Input Dialog)
- Load Attribute
- Log Debugging Statement
- Open URL Action
- Rotate To Angle
- Save Attribute
- Save Table

Bug Fixes
- Firefox can now see actor previews. Number fields in behaviors will have more space.
- Ability to type in negative numbers in fields (you could paste whole negative numbers or use the increment/decrement before to get negative numbers but you couldn't just type a '-')
- Uncommon bug for sorting actors and scenes should be fixed.
- Fixed bugs with layer reordering.

Once again we appreciate all the feedback and will continue listening as we progress.

UPDATE
- 2017-12-11 - Original post.
- 2017-12-12 - Link updated to 1.25.82b. Fixes issue with publishing and issues with pre High Sierra macOS installs.
- 2017-12-14 - Link updated to 1.25.83. Fixes issue with instances referencing scene attributes.

Comments

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568
    edited December 2017

Did the project I sent help you find the cause of the IAP problem? @adent42

There are lots of problem about sandbox user after iOS 11. Is it possible that this problem is related to it? Even though I created a new user to overcome these problems.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/80560

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/87791

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@ForumNinja said:
    There's a new issue with the latest High Sierra versions where the "Dashboard" crashes after login.

That used to be one of the feature requests in the past, to be able to close the "Dashboard," so call it an extra bonus! :wink:

Thanks for the new version!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@unbeatenpixel I haven't had a chance to look into your projects yet, that's happening today! Depending on how obvious/not obvious the problem is, I may be pining you throughout the day.

• squirrel42squirrel42 Member, PRO Posts: 195

@adent42 When I publish using this latest version and try to generate I get this message:
    "The version of GameSalad used to create this project is not supported. Please download the latest version."

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@squirrel42 I'll look into it, I think I just need to tweak the publishing server. Are you trying to publish to Android?

It turns out I missed a config change before releasing the build . I've patched it on the server side, so all should be well for now! Publish away!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@adent42 said:
    It turns out I missed a config change before releasing the build . I've patched it on the server side, so all should be well for now! Publish away!

@adent42 is a machine!

I updated the original post, but FYI, here is an updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd1jkauu1etkbxc/GameSalad-1.25.82b-beta.zip?dl=0

It should fix the publishing issue from the client side (so you won't be publishing to 199.199.199) and it should also work on versions previous to High Sierra.

@adent42 Worked, thanks.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Published for iOS today x 2 and no errors given.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Braydon_SFX said:
    @adent42 is a machine!

No @adent42 = AI + AR :mrgreen:

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@adent42 I cant update my Mac game, it just stopped with "loading" in GS Publisher ....all the other version works to choose. Im not updated to High Sierra

@adent42 Trying to work on a game in High Sierra with latest build and getting some strange things happening with attributes. When I open an actor I am getting these messages and my rule are then depopulated. I have no way of checking what the missing constrains are as having upgraded to HS I can no longer open previous versions to check them.

@adent42 Update. Games works fine until this actor is opened and then it is broken. ie The rules is happily in the actor and behaving as expected until it is opened, then the attribute field becomes depopulated and breaks the game.

@adent42 As an aside, every attribute field seems to flicker on and off when you mouse is hovered over it..

@freneticz if you downloaded when it was first posted, it wouldn't work for pre High Sierra builds. If you go to post and download now, it should work. There are no other fixes, so there's no need to upgrade right now if you're not on High Sierra.

@squirrel42 can you PM me a link to your game for testing? My guess is the changes made to update how the attributes communicate with the editor may also need to be adjusted for the error checker.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@adent42 said:
    @unbeatenpixel I haven't had a chance to look into your projects yet, that's happening today! Depending on how obvious/not obvious the problem is, I may be pining you throughout the day.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
    edited December 2017

@adent42 said:
    @freneticz if you downloaded when it was first posted, it wouldn't work for pre High Sierra builds. If you go to post and download now, it should work. There are no other fixes, so there's no need to upgrade right now if you're not on High Sierra.

I have not download anything, so you mean i must download something to update my mac app...... i can update all other platforms.

By the way , i have not the beta build

@freneticz sorry for the misunderstanding, I though it was the beta build. Try now. It may have been a temporary server issue. If that's not the case, contact support with the blue button on the lower right and they can help you further.

@unbeatenpixel soo... sorry to say this but I can't reproduce the error, at least not with the debug version I'm using. I'm gonna try publishing and see what's up, but this might be a case best taken off line to a PM. We can update the group if it turns out to be a bigger issue.

Link updates. Should fix issues with scene attribute references in unlocked instances:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3mdyt57tp44gk0/GameSalad-1.25.83-beta.zip?dl=0

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited December 2017

@adent42
    Could we get a comprehensive list or a new "state of game salad' specifically for creator compatibility , with bullet points on issues outstanding?
    High Sierra issues, IAP, Advertising, iOS 11, iPhone X, dashboard, blank scenes etc

It's currently divided between 3 or 4 threads with lots of noise in between..
    Hard to keep track.....

Thank you

• dyoh777dyoh777 Member, PRO Posts: 27

Is there an updated GS viewer xcode project too? I can't seem to get the one on the site to compile to work with the iPhone X simulator.

@blob

• Mac High Sierra
      -- The linked download should solve High Sierra Issues with scenes and attributes.
      -- Currently the "dashboard" is broken in this build. We have a fix. I'll be pushing it sometime on Monday, after I get the whole package together.

• iOS 11 / iPhone X
      -- Currently works. The current publishing page reflects the loading image size and icon sizes required. Admob and Revmob banner ads will adjust correctly to account for the notch on iPhone X- Ads Currently working
      -- AdMob for iOS has been updated to 7.26.0
      -- RevMob for iOS has been updated to 10.0

• IAP
      -- Currently works, afaik. The initial release had a problem, but that was resolved shortly after. Not current issues with the build have been found (though we have worked a few users through set up issues, that turned out to be unrelated to the build.

Basically, all the outstanding issue are either resolved or were found to be setup error. If there are unresolved issues, let us know!

In terms of rough order the future holds:

• Mac High Sierra official build (hopefully done by Monday).
    • Ad updates for iOS (Chartboost and Tapdaq will be update. Playhaven will be removed).
    • Ad updates for Android (Likely released in the same order as iOS. Admob, Revmob, Chartboost, Tapdaq).
  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Sounds good. Coming up to the finish line... fingers crossed! :relieved:

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@adent42 said:
    If there are unresolved issues, let us know!

Been waiting for over a year now for the iOS viewer orientation issues to be resolved.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited December 2017

@Socks said:

@adent42 said:

Been waiting for over a year now for the iOS viewer orientation issues to be resolved.

Agreed and I wanna add the Android orientation issues.

These and the Android lags made me look for an alternative to GameSalad and kept me from using the software at all for months now. Hope at some point in the near future we'll hear something about all of this so I don't have to quit GameSalad alltogether.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited December 2017

@Socks said:
    @adent42 said:

YES!
    @adent42 are these issues so hard to fix?

@Socks said:
    new users will simply find they can't transfer their project, or if they are able then the >orientation is wrong, or maybe they can't transfer at all . . . and in all likelihood just give >up trying.

YES!

It's the sum of all mistakes and wrong decisions that ultimately results in bankruptcy down the road, not the usual, deprived of analysis, cop-out aka "lack of funding", which is only the result of bad decision making..

You can't expect new user to grasp at first glance that GS' charm resides in its uniquely simple yet malleable approach to visual programming and It's forum users :D

GS needs growth, growth = new users. New user including education prospects simply compare features, price, look and feel with the competition.

With that in mind, the likelihood of them chosing GS over the competition is shrinking daily.

(Sadly, so is the likelihood of keeping existing users)

@birdboy said:
    Agreed and I wanna add the Android orientation issues.

These and the Android lags made me look for an alternative to GameSalad and kept me >from using the software at all for months now. Hope at some point in the near future >we'll hear something about all of this so I don't have to quit GameSalad altogether.

**Come on @adent42 you've been juggling so much stuff, so well, lately, you are on a roll, can we get viewer and orientation fixes for Xmas? :D o:) **

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Socks said:

Have you tried the latest iOS Viewer app in the app store?