State of the Salad 03/2018

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Japster said:
    Touch issues resolved?

Can't comment on the others as I'm not working on any ad support games and I'm still on Sierra, but the touch issue is completely resolved for me (on iOS).

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Same here so far in my tests.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

Cheers guys! - May give it another try at last then! :smiley:

• ZwireZwire Member, PRO Posts: 179

@adent42 - do you have any update on fixing the touch bug for android? Please also fix this and dont let us wait another six months. Almost half a year now since I released my game and still havent earnt a cent cause of this bug.

• gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67

What's the android touch bug? Anything to do with chartboost revenue on android being terrible?

• ZwireZwire Member, PRO Posts: 179
    edited April 2018

@gizzi93 said:
    What's the android touch bug? Anything to do with chartboost revenue on android being terrible?

No, Chartboost revenue is terrible because almost all advertisers pay per install. So players need to install the game from the ad in order for you to get paid. Which almost nobody does. Plus Chartboost always shows the same 3 ads all the time. Dont get why though.

• gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67

@Zwire said:

No, Chartboost revenue is terrible because almost all advertisers pay per install. So players need to install the game from the ad in order for you to get paid. Which almost nobody does. Plus Chartboost always shows the same 3 ads all the time. Dont get why though.

That's why we need ad mediation!

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

@adent42

im having troubles like @AlchimiaStudios with 1.25.91
    after a minutes of working on creator the images previews disappear from the library, its hart to work without seeing the images and the only way to make them back its to close and reopen the project

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I haven't updated GS, and I'm kinda hoping I don't have to, because for what I'm working on, my version of GS is working just fine to finish my game off.

So as long as it doesn't affect my build when I publish it, I should be right!

Fingers crossed.

Hope everyone else gets their issues sorted out. Blessings. :)

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@Hymloe said:
    Fingers crossed.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Yah, you shouldn't have to upgrade.

We just pushed an update to the binaries to get rid of a undocumented call we had in some dead code that would tripping up some app submissions.

We also implemented a change that will show your ads in "test" mode on Admob if your provisioning profile is not a distribution one.

This will allow you to view admob ads in testing without skewing your stats.

We'll look into the image issue next. I think I know what it might be and it should be an easy fix (in cleaning up some code, I think I removed a bit too much).

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Nope... turns out it's a change in behavior from upgrading to the newest xcode... fun!

edited May 2018
  • AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I keep getting a corrupt image file error with that .dmg

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• opie2k1opie2k1 Member, PRO Posts: 36

WTF?! Two support tickets, multiple forum posts and my chat that has been abandoned until at least Monday. Sigh. I'm so frustrated here...

It would be awesome if I actually got help from someone who can answer my questions!

1. I have plenty of "sound" effects and "music" effects in my iOS build. All the "music" effects work fine but none of the "sound" effects play at all? Both work fine in the Android build. I'm using 1.25.91 to build the iOS version. What's going on?

2. I also found that 1.25.91 won't launch in Yosemite. Is that a known bug? I've had to rent a mac environment on a server just to get it to launch. I'm super frustrated that I've had to spend money just to run software I've already paid for to work. How is this ok?!

3. And finally, I put Admob banner ads and RevMob interstitials and both come up great on my Android test device but neither come up on my iPhone test device. Any idea why? I have "Allow App To Talk To Any Domain Insecurely" checked.

Is Gamesalad about to fold or something? It seems like those in charge have given up customer support which leads me to believe this product is in its end days. I've been using it for years but I'm worried about the future.

edited May 2018

@opie2k1 said:
    WTF?! Two support tickets, multiple forum posts and my chat that has been abandoned until at least Monday.

They dont work on weekends generally.

The forum is for the community to assist each other. So posts dont always get responses.

Have you tried converting the sounds files to a single format? Like only ogg for sounds?

edited May 2018

@opie2k1 not folding, it's just the iOS environment has gotten tricky as things upgrade.

The Yosemite thing wasn't known but it's not a bug, per se.

As we update the tool to work on the latest OS, older OSes will start to fall by the wayside. If we can get a Yosemite machine running, we can take a quick look, but for now if .92 doesn't work, it's not gonna work.

To ensure a known good testing environment for admob, we just put out a change in this release to always show test ads if you are using a development provisioning profile to sign your app. You can use the test Ad Ids to see if the problem is with the ad setup or with the SDK (https://developers.google.com/admob/ios/test-ads).

Not sure what's up with the sound, we haven't really changed anything there.

PM me your project and I can try to take a look on Monday.

edited May 2018

Thanks that .dmg is working now.

Did some testing:

At first it seemed ok using it, but when I went into a scene, went into a layer and entered an actor the same image and text disappearing behavior began to occur again.

Oddly enough when I exited the actor and went back to scene view the issue persisted, but if i never enter the actor view the image library is fine.

So I tested some more to find out exactly what will cause it:

If I go Home>Actors>Enter Actor to edit, this image library view is just fine.

If I go Scene>Enter a Scene View, the image library is still fine.

If I go Scene>Enter a Scene View> edit Actor from actor pane, the images break

And of course If I go Scene>Enter a Scene View>Edit Actor from scene layer, the images break.

Going "back" out of these views that break it makes them broken in the views that behave normally otherwise.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

I've been trying to follow the developments here, but it's honestly difficult to make out what's actually going on.

I keep reading problem after problem, followed by "that's fixed" or "I don't know what you're talking about".

I have a project that I've put aside for quite a while now, just waiting to see an "all clear" signal so I can bring it across the finish line.

What's going on? Is GS in a state where one could honestly put out a finished game with reward ads and iAPs (and trust that they're going to work in the live versions)...or not? Are there image issues, or not? Are there sound issues or not?

Can we get a real and clear state of the salad statement?

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I agree with @Adrenaline.

Sounds like the version of GS is getting updated, but things are breaking, the build is obviously not even getting tested by GS before release, it's being hacked to fix X, breaking Y and Z.

I'm trying to finish off a game, and I'll stick with the older version of GS that I'm on. And hopefully I'll be OK.

But I'm getting into that nervy zone of "OMG what's happening, is it all gonna be broken soon, and I'll be somehow forced to update, or the server-side output of my game will be broken, or something, and I'll be high and dry."

Hopefully that doesn't happen. But yeah, bit confused, bit worried.

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

The ones of the last few comments are not official releases from what i understand, thats why one thing is fixed and then fixed another one, its because its being getting ready for the official release.
    the one in the download sections is still 1.25.88 and that one doesn't have the image problem

edited May 2018

@Hymloe and @Adrenaline so here's what I'd do.

For creator:

User 1.25.88 for dev (no image issue). Have a copy of 1.25.90-92 for signing (.88 does not account for some extra signing steps needed for updated ad libraries).

1.25.92 is much butter than the current release, but it obviously has some bugs still that we're working through.

For publishing:

As for ad networks, those have been updated and are working, any version you publish with will work. The current build has a slight change to Admob that puts it in test mode while you're using a development profile. This ensures that the ad clicks don't hit your stats. After we settle the tool bugs, I'll make the test mode feature switchable, but for now it's just going to be forced on. With this change, in the future and in conjunction with Google's test IDs, you can confirm whether Admob's servers are the problem or if it's our SDK integration.

Oh another thing for people with Admob. If you're in test mode and on iOS, you have to enable Ad Track in your privacy settings for things to work.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Does admob in portrait mode work with Iphone X

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@adent42 said:
    For creator:

Use 1.25.88 for dev (no image issue).

1.25.92 is much butter than the current release, but it obviously has some bugs still that we're working through.

I see, it's the butter that makes it such a slippery one.

Anyway, these are the clearest instructions we've had for a long time. Thank you. :)

I might even try and update my apps now. ;)

@freneticz yes. For portrait the ads are moved away from the edge. For landscape they are shorter than the screen a bit more to clear the curves.

@adent42 Nice thanks. i have GS version 1.25.80 can i publish with working IAP & admob or should i get 1.25.88 (& 92 for signing)

So publishing is independent of the Creator version. Any of those will publish fine, but you will need to run .92 for signing.

I have both 80 & 92 installed now but i cant sign my app , its something with zipalign what to do @adent42