State of the Salad 03/2018

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

We haven't changed Android signing, the fix was for iOS signing, so you should check with our normal support staff (blue chat icon in the bottom left). The reason I'm punting is that I haven't worked with that system in a long time so they could help you much faster than I could.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

Sorry if I missed where this was stated, but am I reading this correctly? ---> iOS signing has been fixed (by using a specific GS version) but Android signing has issues?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited May 2018

@Adrenaline said:
    but Android signing has issues?

Nope. Android signing never had issues in the first place.

If you have Zipalign problems, it likely has to do with your Android SDK installation, no problems with this on the GS side. What error are you getting exactly?

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

Thanks @pHghost . I'm not getting any errors (I haven't tried signing!), I just misunderstood the exchange between @freneticz and @adent42

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

hi @adent42

i got a message from chartboost about their new v7.2.0 for the GDPR.

"To help publishers meet their GDPR obligations we have released Chartboost SDK v7.2.0. The latest SDK update includes the ability to easily restrict collection of personal data against an individual end user (data subject). "

this will be incorporated in a future version of gamesalad? should we be worried about GDPR?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@hybrid said:
    hi @adent42

"To help publishers meet their GDPR obligations we have released Chartboost SDK v7.2.0. The latest SDK update includes the ability to easily restrict collection of personal data against an individual end user (data subject). "

this will be incorporated in a future version of gamesalad? should we be worried about GDPR?

European Union's new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will come into effect on May 25, 2018. @adent42

I agree, this is important. They updated the sdk for a very short time to deadline. This date is announced in 2016. At least they should have been ready in the first months of 2018.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@hybrid said:
    hi @adent42

It not only affects Chartboost but also Admob and any other company/developer serving targeted ads.
    It could also bring into question the data collected by GameSalad through our apps.

The fines are pretty serious so we need to to take action pretty quickly.

I've asked GameSalad for a response but so far they seem to be ignoring the issue.

I posted more info for developers on another thread:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/96381/general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr-thoughts#latest

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited May 2018

Hey, we're not doing something special for GPRD, but we're going to be working on removing our internal tracking and upgrading the SDKs.

We're currently stuck on the tool problem with images, but I'm gonna read around a bit to see if updating the SDKs and removing tracking will take higher priority.

IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I think for the short term, you should be good. Our internal tracking goes through Google Analytics, so we're sort of covered by their policy, at least in terms of capabilities (i.e. right to be forgotten, etc).

That, in combination with the fact that we can't use a universal device tracking IDs (changes that both OSes have made), mean that we're not tracking any personally IDable data (our internal analytics are just used for counting the number of people using GS apps and what figuring out device / OS adoption).

So I wouldn't say GS is 100% GPRD compliant yet, but I would say that we're not doing anything that would put you in trouble in the short term and we'll work to make it so ASAP.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2018

@adent42 said:

So I wouldn't say GS is 100% GPRD compliant yet, but I would say that we're not doing anything that would put you in trouble in the short term and we'll work to make it so ASAP.

Hi @adent42 - Firstly, thanks for sorting out ads and touch - confirmed finally working! - I was finally able to pre-release Parcel Monkey / Courier Chaos today! - 8 months late, but still, I'm happier now than I've been in a looooong time... :wink:

As regards GPRD - I can appreciate @strag 's concern - I've only just got Chartboost showing ads, and got a pop-up saying that if not using the latest SDK, you need to submit device ID's using a CSV etc... It's kind of worrying me too, after finally reaching this point myself?

Cheers guys....

I got this from chartboost.

How to Restrict Personal Data Collection

Ad requests to Chartboost with restrictDataCollection=YES removes the IP address and device information from processing. With restrictDataCollection enabled, the user will not receive an ad.

Ad requests with restrictDataCollection=NO will process that user’s IP address and device information. Chartboost will serve an ad using contextual and behavioral targeting.

By default, ad requests to Chartboost serve personalized ads, with ad selection based on the user’s previously collected data unless otherwise specified. .

does chartboost collects data through our apps?

from what i understand if the user don't want data collection, the ads will not show?
    so, we will not get ad monetization?

im really confused about this: Maybe showing an pop up message the first time the app opens, where is presented to the player that the ads will be served and by continue they will accept that? otherwise cant play

edited May 2018

@hybrid My guess is you could change it per market. So you'd make a EU build and a build for other markets. The build you'd put out for EU countries would turn set restrictDataCollection

Okay, reading a thing from google, @hybrid you're mostly right. For Europe, ad tracking should be "opt-in". So you would need to ask the user "can I track?"

As an FYI we just finished updates of the iOS engine with new GDPR compliant versions of Admob and Chartboost.

We'll need to wait until May 16 for Tapdaq to release their update, so we won't be releasing until after we get that.

In the mean time, I guess that means we'll have a fire under our butts to get Android ad networks updated too.

We'll also be removing all tracking from the engine, so many of you should be happy about that.

This also means that fixes to the Mac tool for the image issue will be delayed as it will be all hands on the ad updates.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@adent42 said:

We'll also be removing all tracking from the engine, so many of you should be happy about that.

This also means that fixes to the Mac tool for the image issue will be delayed as it will be all hands on the ad updates.

I am working on 1.25.80 and I was planing to sign on 1.25.92 to release my new premium title. Is G.Analytics SDK in server side or the engine? Should I wait new version of Gs to sign the game?

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

Hi @adent42 thanks for the information.

its always getting more difficult, but thank for making it more easy.

as you suggested the EU build and the build for the other markets.
    is to publish as 2 separated apps in the appstore? one restricted for the EU market and the other only available in the EU market?

do you know if this can be done with an app with the same name? in the past i had read that the appsore encourage to merge your apps into 1 with localised lenguage and not to crowd the appstore with the same app to different countries.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@adent42 said:
    As an FYI we just finished updates of the iOS engine with new GDPR compliant versions of Admob and Chartboost.

In the mean time, I guess that means we'll have a fire under our butts to get Android ad networks updated too.

Not only fire, a Atomic bomb and some piranhas to....

Is this meaning we must update all our apps Before 25/5 to be legal

• gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67

@adent42 , any word on tapdaq mediation?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@hybrid said:
    in the past i had read that the appsore encourage to merge your apps into 1 with localised lenguage and not to crowd the appstore with the same app to different countries.

This will really be up to you. A lot of companies are simply introducing the opt-in everywhere, not just the EU, to simplify.

@pHghost yes, i think it will be the easiest way, I have also the thought that will be better to just dont make them available on EU area. For my personal experience that market doesn't make any difference in my downloads :/

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@adent42 - Will we need to update all our apps to remove Gamesalad tracking? - or will Gamesalad just cease collecting any tracking data without the need for an update of existing apps?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited May 2018

@DigiChain

I for one, will not rely on a third party having switched off tracking on the receiving end. Anyway, tracking jumps through many hoops before it ends up as analytics in the dashboard. So, even with tracking switched off on the receiving end, your app will still connect and transmit data.

So, to be compliant, you will have to update all your apps before the 25th of May. Hoping that GS disables tracking in time.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Does IAP works for FireTV in the latest GS versions? @adent42 Anybody knows?

edited May 2018

@Hopscotch
    Yeah, I'm thinking updating all apps is the way to go too.

Part of the reason I ask is that I have a few apps which apple will no longer allow me to update. I plan to remove them from the app store over the coming week but they will of course still be active on users devices. Since I am unable to update them though I have no way of making them compliant (though there will be no new downloads from that point forwards).

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@DigiChain why aren’t you allowed to update them? That sounds strange.

It was due to changes in apple policy - the apps in question were essentially reskins so apple wont allow further updates (they would prefer they are combined into a single app) yet are happy for them to remain on the store.
    It now causes a possible issue with this GDPR situation.

Misc stuff:

Yes you will have to republish for GPRD updates. Google Analytics is on the engine and the engine reports directly to Google for us, so there's no way for us to cut the data off.

If you are faced with legacy apps, you could just take them off of the EU markets.

No update on mediation.

@adent42 - Thanks for keeping us informed.
    So has ALL tracking now been removed from the engine? And can we publish now or do we need to wait for a new GS version release?

You will have to wait for the new release.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@adent42

Just to clarify, does this relate to ALL apps made with Game Salad, or just if you had AdMob or Chartboost enabled for that app?

I'd rather not update any apps that I don't have to. And I've never used AdMob or ChartBoost.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Hymloe if you are referring to the GPRD complience, then it relates to all apps, regardless if they had AdMob or Chartboost included.