State of the Salad 03/2018

Comments

• MelodyCatsMelodyCats Member, PRO Posts: 128

@Armelline said:
    @unbeatenpixel I had numerous .88 build rejected by Apple over the past week, so it seems reasonably safe to say a new publish with .92 will be needed.

Edit: Games with no ads, I should note.

Did they give you any reasons?

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Do Admob have non-personalized ads, if so can we just use that when GS is ready...... no need for privateDataConsentForAds and other crazy stuff?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@MusicBoutique said:

@Armelline said:
    @unbeatenpixel I had numerous .88 build rejected by Apple over the past week, so it seems reasonably safe to say a new publish with .92 will be needed.

Edit: Games with no ads, I should note.

Did they give you any reasons?

No, they just "couldn't be processed" by Apple.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@DigiChain said:
    @adent42
    Part of the GDPR requirement is that the user can change their level of consent whenever they wish. To do this I have a privacy settings scene within the app which has a 'change ad consent' button, this then resets the privateDataConsentForAds = -1 and send them back to the initial GDPR consent scene to begin again.
    So my question is:
    If the user changes their consent level whilst the app is running is this then updated at an engine level and sending the correct new value to the ad networks (without the need for a restart/ re-initialising of ad sdks)??

Yep, it's updated at an engine level, so there's no need for a restart etc

@hybrid said:
    @adent42 If i opt of taking out the apps for the EU markets, i still have to have the privateDataConsentForAds set as 1?

if i don't include the rule it will be readed as 0 meaning there will be no ads?

Correct, though you don't need a rule at all. You'll just need the privateDataConsentForAds attribute that's set to 1 hardcoded in your game for ads to display normally.

@freneticz said:
    Do Admob have non-personalized ads, if so can we just use that when GS is ready...... no need for privateDataConsentForAds and other crazy stuff?

Admob has non-personalized ads that they will serve when the privateDataConsentForAds attribute is set to 0. So technically you could create the attribute and set it to 0 and only serve Admob ads that aren't targeted. To quote @adent42 "I am not a lawyer", so I'm not sure if that would allow you to skip the whole consent gathering part.

Since the ads are non-personalized, I would think it would be alright. Maybe have a disclaimer somewhere stating that all the ads are non-personalized, thus no data is being gathered from the player.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Hi @adent42 @ForumNinja you have evaluated integrate some ADs mediation like Supersonic or AdTapsy? maybe is the moment for that.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@ForumNinja - One more GDPR related question:
    What does Gamesalad intend to do with any data gathered through Google Analytics from our existing apps from this point forward (such as from legacy apps which we are unable to update but are still out there on peoples devices)?
    Will this data just be periodically erased?

It would be helpful to know as we could state on our privacy policies how this data will be handled from this point forwards.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@DigiChain we haven't thought about it yet? Basically, I need to dig into what options are available to us vis-a-vis Google Analytics. I'm hoping we'll be able to turn IP anonymous analytics which should be good enough for everyone.

I really should have done that first, but since it was easy enough to remove analytics we're just going ahead with that.

@CasualEvolution nope. We're gonna be late as it is getting existing ad networks updated.

After all this work, I'll probably go back rewrite the code to use a single mediator (which would have simplified things), but we're just gonna edit what's there to reduce risk.

Everyone else:

So the testing ran into some bugs (most annoyingly finding out a problem with my dev environment that prevented me from building for half a day).

Anyway, the code seems to be running as intended, so we'll be testing the build tomorrow.

Worst case, we'll release the build with the proviso that some ad networks might be bad, but at least you can update your ad-free games.

Sorry for the delay and thank you all for your patience!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@adent42 said:
    Everyone else:

So the testing ran into some bugs (most annoyingly finding out a problem with my dev environment that prevented me from building for half a day).

Anyway, the code seems to be running as intended, so we'll be testing the build tomorrow.

Worst case, we'll release the build with the proviso that some ad networks might be bad, but at least you can update your ad-free games.

Sorry for the delay and thank you all for your patience!

I completely lost track of the progress. Are you talking about Android? I uploaded new version of my apps after your post for IOS.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

@CasualEvolution nope. We're gonna be late as it is getting existing ad networks updated.

After all this work, I'll probably go back rewrite the code to use a single mediator (which would have simplified things), but we're just gonna edit what's there to reduce risk.

hi @adent42 thanks! I appreciate your work and effort at this stage. I think things would be simplified for everyone with a single mediator and the developers will have more options, in addition to a more intelligent service, it is win win for everyone! We'll wait for that :)

Just a heads up to those of you that are using Admob and haven't yet read the newly released guidelines - we are required to list within the app (or link to a list from our custom consent screen) all the ad providers admob are using, and provide links to all their individual privacy policies.

Admobs default setup uses 200 providers, so that's 200 privacy policy links we need to setup. Oh what fun!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited May 2018

This might come in handy: https://app-privacy-policy-generator.firebaseapp.com/

Usual IANAL, not legal advice disclaimer applies.

Right now we can release everywhere with ads or no ads (except in EU) without any legal problems?

@freneticz said:
    Right now we can release everywhere with ads or no ads (except in EU) without any legal problems?

As far as I'm aware GS haven't yet released the compliant update - so no.

@adent42 Any news?

But do we need a update for release outside eu?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@DigiChain said:

@freneticz said:

As far as I'm aware GS haven't yet released the compliant update - so no.

@adent42 Any news?

What?

@adent42 said:
    Okay, update for iOS has been deployed! Next to get Android working. As a general reminder:

1) If your app was published with any 1.25 build, you just need to hit "Generate" again.
    2) This update removes all tracking (namely Google Analytics).
    3) If you're using ads, this update adds support for the previously mentioned privateDataConsentForAds attribute, which can you use to indicate that your users have given permission to the ad networks to collect personally identifiable information on your behalf.
    4) As a practical thing:

• Admob: Show personalized ads if privateDataConsentForAds is 1, non-personalized / anonymous ads otherwise.
    • Chartboost/Tapdaq: Does not show ads if privateDataConsentForAds is not 1. This is on the ad network side, we're just passing a value to let them know about the consent status. They may show ads in the future if they work out anonymous ads.
    • Revmob: No SDK update provided, so we're just disabling Revmob if privateDataConsentForAds is not 1 to be safe.

I'm hoping to have the Android update done tonight and we'll be testing tomorrow. Once the Android update is done, we'll put all this information again in it's own post.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

Yes you're right, well pointed out!

I don't think the Android build update is available yet though... Unless I missed it.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@DigiChain said:
    Yes you're right, well pointed out!

I don't think the Android build update is available yet though... Unless I missed it.

Nope that's correct. @adent42 is still banging his head against the desk trying to get the Android build ready.

The iOS update is already out, so you should be good to republish your iOS apps.

Also, we've updated our Privacy Policy to provide more info about what data we collect from you, how it's collected, what we use it for, and what rights you have over your personal information.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

Luckily I have no mobile games yet so I don't have to worry about any of this. But I still would like to understand what is going on. What is all of this about? Which countries are effected?

@Twayne2 GDPR is a new set of data privacy regulations for the EU. Basically, if you are doing business with anyone in the EU, you need to follow certain rule, among them:

1) Inform users if you are using personally identifiable info (like the kind collected by ad networks) and ask for opt-in consent. (i.e. you can't check a box by default).

2) Allow users to see what info you collect.

3) Allow users to ask for their data to be removed from your system (the "right to be forgotten").

So if your game shows ads or collects analytics, you will need to get approval from your users to do so.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@adent42

Just for absolute clarity, please can you confirm that GameSalad itself no longer collects any personal data about my users through my apps?

Thanks.

The RC builds no longer collect any data, yes.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203

@adent42 said:
    The RC builds no longer collect any data, yes.

Was the RC build also necessary for IOS GDPR compliant build? I thought they were only necessary for Android?

@vafurlogi sorry, yes, the current release iOS build has not data collection and GDPR compliance as well. The RC build has some minor tweaks that will hopefully make ad server a cleaner experience. I took a break today, but I'm hoping tomorrow to compare the work I did on android and iOS and make sure everything is in sync.

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368

@adent42 oh I've been updating some of my iOS apps with the RC Build button for the addition of no data collection and etc, is that ok or do I need to go back and build them with the normal Generate button? Also, in iTunes Connect do we still need to select yes for Advertising Identifier for apps with ads or no?

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@adent42 said:
    @vafurlogi sorry, yes, the current release iOS build has not data collection and GDPR compliance as well. The RC build has some minor tweaks that will hopefully make ad server a cleaner experience. I took a break today, but I'm hoping tomorrow to compare the work I did on android and iOS and make sure everything is in sync.

@adent42 Thanks for providing clarity on this.

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

the image library not working well for me after importing around 80 png file the images are not visible in the image library any more any one else has this issue?

@mshuraih so... that one is new-ish. There is a known issue with 1.91 / .92 where the image library doesn't show up at all, but not where the items show up but the images don't load. We know there are a lot of problems with 1.91 and 1.92 so we'll be looking into them soon.

That being said, were pretty much at the "this release is Good Enough" phase of RC evaluation. Unless any of you come up with new major bugs, we're going to be releasing the RC as the default build today or early tomorrow.

There are some know minor issues, but we'll be doing patch releases as we go. For now, the build is largely stable and in the "better than what we already have" state, as far as we know. Since I did a release on Saturday morning after our testing team started their weekend, we'll be doing more extensive testing today!

I'd like to thank you all for your patience during all this. After the release, we'll be taking a break from the engine work. Most of the team will be working on some education stuff that's been back-burnered this whole time and the rest will be picking up the Mac Creator bugs. Hopefully we'll have a fix for the Creator stuff soon. Until then, there will be much shaking fist at the Apple gods for changing how core APIs work on us.

Cheers!

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

Ps - I forgot to add earlier, that I'm only getting by, by using .88 to edit my projects, and .92 to sign - most attempts to load up a project in .92 end up with me swearing, popping a vein in my neck as yet again it crashes and renders my loaded project absolutely screwed, with a random selection of error messages as regards why it can't/won't load it... :frowning:

Yah, that's part of what we're gonna need to fix. All around it's pretty bad and we're not absolutely sure how much there is to fix, but we're looking into it.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2018

I saw that OpenGL ES is being depreciated in iOS12 and OpenGL/CL for MacOS 10.14.

Looks like Apple is trying to force everyone to Metal instead. I guess for the time being it says they'll still continue to run OpenGL and CL, but I suppose they wont update it further from here on out?

Does GS use these libraries?

Hopefully it's a long time before they stop supporting them altogether, I can't imagine them doing it before iOS13.

Follow us: Twitter - Website