App Binary RC 1.25.20200706 - iOS Update

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
edited September 2020 in Release Notes

To get these benefits use "Build RC". It doesn't matter which version of GameSalad you publish with as long as it's a version 1.25.x.

The goal of this RC line is to upgrade Android to Target API 29 (with a minimum of 21) and to upgrade Ad network libraries as well accompanying Android / Google libraries.

For people used to the old RC thread, I will be repeating features that are not present in the regular "Generate" build, so you know in total what you are getting with this RC. New fixes since the last RC will be in bold.

Android (No change since 1.25.20200611):

• Upgrade to Google Play Service Base & Basement 17.3.0.
  • Target API 29
  • Min API 21
  • IronSrc 6.16.1 and all mediated networks.
  • Admob 19.1.0
  • Chartboost 8.0.2

iOS (No change since )

• Deployment target of iOS 12.0 with SDK 13.x
  • IronSrc 6.17.0
  • IronSrc now includes all mediated networks.
  • Publishing with IronSrc disabled will now exclude IronSrc libraries, making the binary smaller.
  • Chartboost 8.1.0
  • Admob 7.59.0 to match IronSrc
  • Updated code to avoid potential crashes from background updates from IAP and GameCenter

Both:

• Updated Freestick to 0.3.2 allowing for more controller support.
  • Removed loading of TIFF, EXR, and RAW images from freeimage.
  • Consolidated XML parsing to libxml2 (changing the table loader from expat).

As an FYI we have not updated publishing to allow for a lower MinSDK on iOS (as of this post).

We'll update that shortly, but we felt it important to get this into users hands to fix potential IAP and Game Center crashes as well as the Chartboost fix ASAP.

Last update: https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/97991/app-binary-rc-1-25-20200611-android-update/p1

Comments

• Supersonic9120Supersonic9120 Member, PRO Posts: 174

Thanks! I'll try this out tonight.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

👍️

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Deployment target of iOS 12.0 with SDK 13.x

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Armelline I'm gonna depend on you guys to test it until I can figure out how to downgrade one of our test devices. I just compiled, but I don't know if we're using any API calls that are iOS 13 only. I think most of our API specific code is for even older OS versions, so things should be fine.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

It's been a slow time recently with lockdown closing schools and now summer, but I'll run a few builds through tonight just to see if all seems okay. I won't be testing with ads though. Will let you know if anything pops up!

• patricia.bradypatricia.brady Member, PRO Posts: 49

Thank you!!

• Updated code to avoid potential crashes from background updates from IAP and GameCenter

No longer crashing 😀

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Publishing page is not updated right? You mentioned it in the first post but when I saw this I thought it was updated.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@unbeatenpixel so you can still set stuff in the UI, but if you hit Build RC, it automatically changes to 13.0, so I just need to remove that code and push.

I finished the update on Monday but I forgot to announce it. Hopefully anyone who needs it found it.

edited July 2020

Unfortunately, I couldn't downgrade the ios version. It is uneditable on the publishing page.

Heh, I didn't deploy to production, just our test environment! Update deployed!

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Any new guide to publish ios games? I just cant get it to work anymore...

• ah4000ah4000 Member, PRO Posts: 15

Hello, i'm wondering if there is an issue with the rc build for ios.. i tried publishing twice this week, 1st with admob interstitial ads, and that didnt work, so i tried with chartboost along with admob banners and i get no ads showing from either. I have the privateDataConsentForAds attribute set to 1 and the talk to any domain box checked in publishing and all the code was the same as this is an old game that had ads running fine before... Thanks

There is no lanscape loading image with RC Build anymore. @adent42

If I build it with landcape image, it is all black.

As an experiment, if I build it with portrait image. It appears for a second.

In portrait mode, there is no problem for iPhone portrait loading image. However, iPad portrait loading image is worse than old RC. It shows a smaller area than before. (iPad 10.5)

@ah4000 @unbeatenpixel Can PM me your publishing links?

@ah4000 I'm not sure what's up but we'll take a look.

@unbeatenpixel so we had to change the loading image behavior due to the new storyboard requirement, but there shouldn't be any missing images. Basically we're only accepting two images and scaling them (mostly because the story board doesn't provide us enough information to account for aspect ratio easily). So I need to take a look at your loading images and see if either 1) The story board is working differently than expected or 2) it is working as expected and I need to update guidance on how to adjust for the new layouts.

Thanks!

• ah4000ah4000 Member, PRO Posts: 15

@adent42 Thanks, i actually tried again with the level set to 13 and chartboost worked, still nothing from admob though, which has been hit or miss for over a year now with different games. ..i was wondering about the loading images also. For portrait games they work fine, but on all landscape games the image is blown up and just looks like a flash when shown

Sure. I sent it. I hope both problems are easy to solve. Scaling for iPad was always a problem but with the last change it got worse. The aspect ratio of all iPads is very close to each other. I do not know what is the source of this much wrong scaling.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277
    edited July 2020

@adent42 - I think I've found a publishing bug. When publishing for Android and using Ironsource with all mediation networks enabled I get this error:

something went wrong configuring your app. please check your configuration and try again. if the problem persists contact us and reference publish request [e987fc70-6795-4f78-a105-06e508cd23af].

However I have managed to publish without error with some networks selected (but not all) - so I think there must be an issue caused by one of them. I've not worked out exactly which one seems to be causing the problem though.

Just an FYI, we'll be looking into most of the issues in August as we're trying to get some features in for the education crowd before school starts (or rather, a little before school starts so our team has time to QA things).

That being said, please continue reporting things as soon as you see them because that gives us an opportunity to "back of mind" the bugs and hopefully find solutions faster when we sit down.

@DigiChain 's publishing issue should be relatively easy though, so hopefully I can put in a fix today.

@DigiChain The offending network was pangle (I think that's TikTok's network). The issue should be fixed.

Sorry, spoke too soon. NOW the fix is deployed.

@adent42 That's great, thanks!

edited July 2020

@adent42 - The changes to the Ironsource publishing seems to have caused another publishing bug.

It seems that I can now only publish for android with Ironsource if the Pangle network is selected.

However, Pangle then seems to be causing an additional issue in that only one game with Pangle integrated can be installed on a device at any one time. If I try to install 2 seperate games from Google Play that I've added Ironsource to it throws up an error.

If I try to install the 2 different apks to my device using terminal I get this error:

adb: failed to install /Users/chopperkhan/Desktop/Christmas_Night_Shift_FREE.apk: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_CONFLICTING_PROVIDER: Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/com.chopperkhan.asylumxmasfree-XdTRBpOlK9OgzROfPyqTRw==: Can't install because provider name GS_APPLICATION_ID.TTMultiProvider (in package com.chopperkhan.asylumxmasfree) is already used by com.chopperkhan.stickmangamer]

@adent42 - Any news on a fix for the Ironsource GS_APPLICATION_ID.TTMultiProvider issue I highlighted in the previous post?

Currently any game published with the RC using Ironsource cannot be installed on a device if there is already a game on it that was also published using the RC and Ironsource - due to it containing the same package provider (GS_APPLICATION_ID.TTMultiProvider).

For now would it be possible to revert back to the previous Ironsource setup (where Pangle wasn’t funtioning) as I think the GS_APPLICATION_ID.TTMultiProvider wasn’t an issue previously??

Note: this is an Android issue, I haven’t tested iOS as I have no device.

Sorry about that! It's a setting we have to customize per app (by changing that GS_APPLICATION_ID string to your game's package name).

The fix has been deployed. Just regenerate and you should e good to go.

Thanks @adent42.

I may have spotted one other issue with the Ironsource build:

I am unable to mediate Chartboost ads through Ironsource. To do so it appears the build needs to contain the Chartboost SDK, and i'm guessing that this may be missing (as my Chartboost account is unable to detect it)??

This is from the Ironsource website:

Important! The Chartboost Adapter does not contain the Chartboost SDK. You need to add the Chartboost SDK to your project as well.

@adent42 - Ignore my previous post - Chartboost is now seeing the SDK. I guess my problem with mediating Chartboost lies elsewhere.

@adent42 - After further testing I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the setup of Chartboost for mediation in Ironsource.

Ironsource has verified the Chartboost IPA in the game and Chartboost has detected the SDK - yet no Chartboost ads are delivered in the live game or when running it in test mode.

I'm pretty sure all is setup as it should be - Chartboost publishing campaign setup, keys entered into Ironsource (checked and double checked).

I'm mediating a number of other networks no problem, but shame not to have Chartboost as i've seen great returns with it over the years.

We'll take a look to make sure we're not doing anything bad on our side, but when it comes to mediation, we're leaving how well that works up to the mediator.

If you can sacrifice the revenue, one idea may be to turn off all the other mediators for a day and see if Chartboost shows.

If all goes well, we'll be getting back to developer stuff next week and I'll take a look.