Original Old Discussion Thread • Think Outside The Box 3 •

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Just another request for more great prizes.

Templates, tshirts, drawing tablets, artwork, video reviews, etc etc.
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    Count me in! Hoping the theme will be something easy to work with. :)

The contest lasts 3 weeks or 1 day? The website says 3 weeks but the first post says it will end on the same day it will begin.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread it.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I'd love to participate, but I'm realizing won't have much time this month between releasing my game and my daughter. So, if you'd like another judge, I'd be happy to do that.
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    cbt said:
    But as the title states, we should have judged by the "smartness" or "uniqueness" of the code (Or behaviors, whatever.. :D) and gameplay. Or simply change the title.
    All beloved GS members, please don't think I'm an a**hole, but I really think I "think" ed more "Outside The Box" than any contestants did for the past 2 competition. I can challenge most of the members to do the game I sent to the contest, really, it is way hard to think of a way to what I did than to think of a simple shoot or jump rules. (At least what "Riffel" did was thinking outside the box. The "clay" art was inspiring.) But when voting gets public, it is the simple things that earns the love, not "hard/smart/came outside the box" work.

Hi CBT! Have you played Clay Moon?
    If a GS developer can't see more then the art who can? :-)
    - recycled BG changes when you go further.
    - towers/turrets appear only on flat ground.
    -towers/turrets shadow and the shot has not collide
    -level duration increases progressively
    -towers/fighters/flyingsoucers shoot at some stages and not in others
    -boss with three separate guns, one sight the player
    -when the boss is defeated the game changes, not in the speed level is only
    -easy to edit
    -done in 1 week!
    -(and have clay art) :-)
    Most users of GS cant do that.
    Jonmulcahy , it would be great to have you as a judge thankyou.

Cheers. .

Any more sous chefs not takin part in the competition but would like to judge?

Any more prizes?
    (pointless little update/bump by me)

I was planning on getting the rules and voting scoring written up tonight, but my eyes need a rest from the computer screen after a long night on this, followed by a long day at work doing After Effects work..

...One last shout out before Thursday...

Who else is thinking about taking part...

And... any more prize offerings ?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Hey Stormy,

Glad to hear you are making progress with the contest...can't wait for it to start! I would be willing to offer up the two templates I have for sale as prizes. Those would be my Target Practice Template and my Vertical/Horizontal Level Select Template. Hope that helps :)

- Alex
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Target Practice Template
    Custom Soundtracks and Sound Effects For Sale
    Vertical/Horizontal Level Select Template
    Mac Mini For SALE!!!
  • HasifUzirHasifUzir Member Posts: 41
    Interesting, I'll gladly take part :D
    Seen TOTB2 before this and it's awesome what people can make in a short time (well short according to me anyway xD )
  • JeffreyShimaneJeffreyShimane Member Posts: 372
    I'm definitely interested in participating. When I first started using GS, the last TOTB contest was going on so I wasn't able to join in on the fun.

- Jeff
  • AppsRacKAppsRacK Member Posts: 346
    stormystudio said:
    (pointless little update/bump by me)

I was planning on getting the rules and voting scoring written up tonight, but my eyes need a rest from the computer screen after a long night on this, followed by a long day at work doing After Effects work..

...One last shout out before Thursday...

Who else is thinking about taking part...

And... any more prize offerings ?

Im gonna take a part on this one surely and try my best to finish the game in time. I like your website stormy its really clean and has a very professional look.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I would like to offer up the following drawing of a spider as a prize for the winner:
    I value this drawing at $233.95 so trust that this settles the matter.

Asymptoteell
  • AppsRacKAppsRacK Member Posts: 346
    Asymptoteell said:
    I would like to offer up the following drawing of a spider as a prize for the winner:
    I value this drawing at $233.95 so trust that this settles the matter.

Asymptoteell

wow thats a bit cheap for a crippled spider :)
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    A small picture i made just for fun. :)
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/totb.png/
    Very nice never ending image Kapser. I nearly did my promo poster thing with an open box and lots of game icons flying out of it.

. .

Also thanks to tshirt for the tshirt and template offerings.

Plus Osucowboy18 for his two templates.

As for the bargain priced spider, that can be a special prize if someone gets a full 100% score
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Hi Jon, can't think of a prize to do with gaming that I could donate but I could offer a printed copy of one of my novels as a prize if you like; (it's not "professionally" published, it'd be a P.O.D printed copy but still good quality). Although it might not be everyone's "cup of tea" though, being gothic/supernatural/magical realism.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Prizes are getting pretty interresting. And a lot of variety! All I could offer is copies of my game to winner/finalists, but it's not done yet and it sounds I dont know.. pretencious to do so. Also it's only worth 99c, but if a few people did the same we could end up with a cool little game package. :)

Also, even though it's not in my plans, I have one question: Are collaborations accepted?
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    So just a couple questions...
    1. Can I use a template that I made?
    2. Does it have to be for iPhone?

Also I would like to offer my Top Down Shooter template to the top 3 (worth $40)

-Josh
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    magic101hi said:
    So just a couple questions...
    1. Can I use a template that I made?
    2. Does it have to be for iPhone?

Also I would like to offer my Top Down Shooter template to the top 3 (worth $40)

-Josh

I'm gonna take a stab here.
    1. The project cannot be already started. So.... If you made Template already it would be ineligable.
    2. I do not believe there is any requirement of platform a's long a's it's made with gamesalad.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Ok... Im going to see if we can up the ante on the prizes...

If GameSalad do their bit, and get involved with the competition (like they really should) and stump up a judge for the panel, and offer a years Pro subscription to the winner, I'll throw in a contract for 40 hours worth of my graphics art services as a prize... (street value of over $1000 USD).

So its over to GS... are they game? Would be nice to see them supporting a community competition that promotes innovative use of their software... :)
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    I might take part in this one :)
    I have never entered before.
    Wow... the prize pot is getting pretty awesome....

I'll write them all into the main webpage with appropriate links/images soon...

@Gyro -Thanks for the novel offer (accepted if your happy sending it to someone before it might be published?)

@Kapser- Are collaborations allowed?...hmmm.... (does any one remember what the rule was last time?, I'm inclined to say yes as you could do it anyway without telling anyone)....

@Magic101
    - No you cannot use a premade project, as it gives you a bit of an unfair advantage at start.
    - It does not have to be for the iphone, it could be destined for any apple device or the GameSalad website.
    - Thank you for the 3 copies of the top down shooter template (happily accepted)
    - Also (replied to your email cheers)

@Tenrdrmer - thanks for that... spot on as always.

@Chunkypixels - Lovely idea, though I don't think GS will offer up any prizes (asked for the first TOTB contest), as they're a company it gets very complicated, terms and conditions and lots of legal stuff when they start giving things away... But feel free to offer up 10 hours arts services for the competition any way :-)

@JamieOneil - Take part - Go on you know it makes sense....if you win you'll be able to swim around in all the glory and the massive pile of physical and binary prizes...

.... Right thats me for tonight... please keep the prizes coming and let us know if your taking part...

I'm off to the pub to drink my own weight in Old English Ale...... (quick calculation, that's 151 pints... you work out my weight in 'stone' and you win an imaginary medal)...
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    I think its a really good competition, and great for the GameSalad community, so I'm happy to still offer the contract for 40 hours of artist time as a prize... whether GS pitch in or not...

I just think they really ought to step up, and support the competition, considering its using and promoting their software... but I'll let it go.. :)

So yup... I'll throw in 40 hours worth of game art as a prize.

I can do both 2D and 3D across a variety of styles ( examples at www.chunkypixels.co.uk ).

Once the competition winner has been declared, I'll contact them, to discuss how they want to proceed with the artwork.

As theres a number of great artists in the GS community, who could potentially win, but might not want/need the art prize, the prize will be transferable... so they can either auction it, sell it on, or donate it to another user if they wish.

Again, I'll discuss that with the potential winner.

..and 10 3/4 stone or thereabouts... makes you a slip of a man Stormy... :)
    @Chunky... either your maths is wrong or mine is.. :-)

UPDATE ON JUDGES AND PRIZES:

Judges
    T-shirt Booth,
    Utopian Games (Darren)
    Tenrdrmer
    ButterBean
    Gyroscope
    Magic101hi
    Quantum Sheep
    JohnMulcahy
    JohnPapiomitis

Prizes:
    • Gold, Silver , Bronze packages from Utopian games at deepblueapps.com

• A pound of the worlds finest coffee roasted to your own spec from old_kipper

• A custom mug with your own logo on, for drinking the coffee from old_kipper

• Paper Toss template for iphone and ipad/Mac from stormystudio.com worth £20

• A app description for itunes from Quantum Sheep (Games Journalist) worth $80

• A couple of menu templates from tenrdrmer

• A very generous $25 itunes voucher from simo103
    • Gyroscope - Super Natural Novel (Not yet published)
    • Chunkypixels offering an incredible - 40hrs pro 2D/3D graphics work worth $1000
    • Tenrdrmer - menu templates
    • Osucowboy - Target practice template, Vertical/Hotizontal Levels select
    • T-shirt - 3 FREE T-Shirts from www.tshirtbooth.com and 3 free templates from www.gshelper.com

I think thats everything...sorry if I've missed any judges or prizes...

Right thats it...now too the pub... :-)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Seems like you have enough judges, but if u need another one let me know. And as always great work so far stormy
    Cheers John.. if your up for the job I'll add you to the list... :-) (added)

I honestly think having a good handful of judges will make for more even and fair results.

Cheers Jon

... so are you not taking part this time? your game rocked last time..

honestly in like 2 minutes I'm going to the pub...just waiting for a knock on my door....
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    I'd be more then happy to judge thanks mate :) and I know how u feel, I'm trying to make it over to the watering hole as well but cAnt get a break from the computer heheheh

And thanks so much for your kind words about my game, much appriciated! Actually still putting some finishing touches on it(want it to be perfect) and have some other stuff I'm working on so figured I would sit back and watch this one

Talk to u soon, and get to the pub ;)
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    Alright this sounds great! Cant wait to see what the theme is :)
    right..well other than being a blatant bump to this thread. I have pretty little to say....

I've been to the pub..drunk what I think amounted to 6 (possibly 7) pints... talked a lot of rubbish and came home...(.we went to our favourite pub 'The Swan' , we also called into 'The Farmers', which it turns out is the worst pub ever conceived by man and swiftly after one pint returned to 'The Swan'.

Just eaten a toasted cheese sandwich and now ready for bed....

Night all...
    please keep the offers of prizes coming... this could be the best damn GameSalad game developer competition ever!!!! many thanks..night Jon.... aka stormy...
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    Not sure if anyone will need it, but I'll donate 2 hours of project help to the winner :D

Matt
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I'd be happy to donate a $50 dollar iTunes gift card to the winner ;)