Original Old Discussion Thread • Think Outside The Box 3 •

Comments

• 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    Would it be okay if I send a project file along with my gameplay video when I submit an entry?
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @11clock

That will be fine though I can't promise every judge will take the time to download and run it. , A video of the game is needed as well or a web playable version for the community to see the games for themselves.

Thanks

Jon
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I want to see a youtube video, screenshots and description of why you think the game is outside the box. I'm looking forward to some good submissions!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    jonmulcahy said:
    I want to see a youtube video, screenshots and description of why you think the game is outside the box. I'm looking forward to some good submissions!

I like That. The submission Should include a description of not only your Game But what makes it Outside the Box. Thats nice. That will help alt since we wont be playing them.
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    I'm offering the character concept for the next game of TOTB3 winner.
    Hope you accept this Stormy.

http://marcosriffel.com/
    @Riffel... sorry its a slow brain morning for me .. what are you offering?

Also if anyone would like to check out the scoring system please try out the below link. Many thanks again to Tenrdrmer for putting this together...(its pretty damn perfect).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlLRC-2aIW6WdHVvTHhyalNhVzhzbmtOZmFBY2dUT3c&hl=en_US&authkey=CKi4p6oO#gid=0

Jon

www.stormystudio.com/totb3.html
  • AppsRacKAppsRacK Member Posts: 346
    +1 to the scoring system. It's perfect and it's really balance.
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Maybe a bit too balanced. I hope the judges will be allowed some flexibility depending on the game. A game without user interface or that isn't designed for re-playability for example.

Even though I'd personally change a few things in it, I guess it's allright if judges are confortable with it. But shouldn't there be some points awarded for the use of the theme?
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    stormystudio said:
    @Riffel... sorry its a slow brain morning for me .. what are you offering?

Sorry my english is so bad... :-(
    I'm offering to create the design of the main character for the winner.
    nice one Riffel I'll add that to the prize fund... an offer to design a character for the winners next game..

I've just updated
    www.stormystudio.com/totb3.html

So it is a bit tidier, and now has the rules and the voting system the judges will use available.

I'll add the prizes on there shortly...
    qucik question...

What rule should we have if there is a draw for any of the awards?

They have to share the prize? or have a forum vote?
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    stormystudio said:
    qucik question...

I would say forum vote.

JamieONeil
  • Metronome49Metronome49 Member Posts: 297
    Hmmm. I'm down. I'll get my first game made super-simple and get some experience with workflow for the game I'm developing.

Sounds like fun.

Sprinting with a sharp deadline will definitely force me in to more disciplined development.
    Metronome49 said:
    Hmmm. I'm down. I'll get my first game made super-simple and get some experience with workflow for the game I'm developing.

Sounds like fun.

Sprinting with a sharp deadline will definitely force me in to more disciplined development.

Metronome thats great to hear... honestly look forward toseeing what you come up with... plus glad you using the competition for what it was originally conceived for... to give us some more drive to finish our games... (I set up the first one to get me to work on Escape Artist, though I got a bit carried away with that one and it took months to finish)...
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    stormystudio said:
    qucik question...

I think again we should leave it to the judges.

After the first distribution of points, if there is a tie between, say 3 games, they choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Because, I'm really uncomfortable with the "forum voting". Most of the members are decent people, but, there really are some problematic people that could ruin all the fun, judge in-appropriately or even make lots of account and cheat!

----

By the way, wouldn't it be cool if there would be "Special Jury Prize" like in the Cannes etc.? No voting system, no nothing. They'll just choose what they feel like... I don't know.. Maybe? :D
    @CBT.... I like your idea better than mine... if we end up with any draws I'll get the judges to decide... (a sort of revote for any draws)...

EXCITING NEWS!!!

I've just finished sorting out the prizes into the various awards.

There are prize bundles for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place (based on the overall number of points scored).

Then there a 3 special prizes to be won for 'Best Game Originality', 'Best Game Play' and 'Best Use of Audio and Graphics'.

Checkout:
    www.stormystudio.com/totb3.html and click on one of the links to 'the prize list and break down'.

I hope everyone is happy with the dividing up of prizes, its taken ages to get it looking fair.

Let me know what you think and what prizes your after the most.

Thanks
    Jon
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    I'm starting to get nervous! I really hope the theme works with this idea that is swirling around in my head right now.
    This is better split up than I expected. Again, working your *** off behind the scenes, huh? :)

A quick one;

Will any of the prize winners in "Best overall" (1st,2nd or 3rd) be able to win any other category (Best Use of Audio and Graphics etc.)?
    Yes any of the winners of 1st 2nd or 3rd will also be eligible for the category prizes. (initially I was only going to have categories but realised one game could storm in and claim the lot.... so thought it best to have the 1st, 2nd and first as well..)

Glad you like the split...
    CALLING ALL THE JUDGES
    oh..also can all the judges please email me at jon@stormystudio.com to say hello so I've got each of your email addresses during the contest...we can also discuss 'THE THEME' and make sure every likes it...
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    JamieOneil said:
    I would say forum vote.

JamieONeil

Forum votes end up with people cheating by making new accounts and voting. I don't think we should.
    @GamersRejoice: Hopefully the theme will inspire you a new idea :)

The prizes are well distributed and tought out, but can a game win two prizes? Having the second overall best game might probably mean it deserves the best gameplay award.

The reason of the special awards is probably to give prizes to a little more peoples, but the special award prizes are largely more interresting than 2rd and 3rd place.
    kapser said:
    @GamersRejoice: Hopefully the theme will inspire you a new idea :)

The prizes are well distributed and tought out, but can a game win two prizes? Having the second overall best game might probably mean it deserves the best gameplay award.

The reason of the special awards is probably to give prizes to a little more peoples, but the special award prizes are largely more interresting than 2rd and 3rd place.

Just read 3 posts before mate...
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    stormystudio said:
    CALLING ALL THE JUDGES
    oh..also can all the judges please email me at jon@stormystudio.com to say hello so I've got each of your email addresses during the contest...we can also discuss 'THE THEME' and make sure every likes it...

emailed!
    I'm confused, I tought i posted right after GamersRejoice but ended up sending reply an hour later after leaving page open, I should hit refresh before posting XD

Forum vote doesn't do harm to influence the judges, they should just never be used as a final voting decision. Also there might not be enough people voting to mean much more than everyone voting for their own game lol.
  • AppsRacKAppsRacK Member Posts: 346
    looking at the prizes here http://www.stormystudio.com/totb3.html makes me drooled.
  • OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
    OMG I NEED to win the "best originality" 40 HRS of work that is worth $1000? hell yea! That would be so awesome for my games.
    drahc said:
    looking at the prizes here http://www.stormystudio.com/totb3.html makes me drooled.

:-) it is a pretty damn awesome list of stuff...

personally I'm loving the random coffee, mug and tshirts
    Last 3 days. Get ready people! :)
    I'm not even sure if I'd rather have pro, artist service or coffee ... all so awesome prizes.

Gonna have to put my project on hold because this contest is too cool to miss :)