TOTB4 • Game Design Contest • Win GameSalad Pro licence & more •

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Good point!!
    But i mean for the most INSANE!!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @Leonard I love the idea of a prize forte most insane idea. There at least lots of points to be earnt for originality. Which is I guess I slightly less exciting way of giving points to the most insane idea.

Cheers, hope everyone is having a good thanks giving weekend over in the US.
  • mrglocklingmrglockling Member Posts: 258
    hope i can finish my project in time
  • crazyfishdevcrazyfishdev Member Posts: 283
    Im in!
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    I'm planning on releasing one app in December and two more in January. All of them are almost complete except one, but if I complete them all, which is likely..........Count me in!

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    stormystudio said:
    @Leonard I love the idea of a prize forte most insane idea. There at least lots of points to be earnt for originality. Which is I guess I slightly less exciting way of giving points to the most insane idea.

Cheers, hope everyone is having a good thanks giving weekend over in the US.

Perhaps I could offer a special prize for insanity? GIven my culinary skills I would be genuinely prepared to make and supply a 1lb jar of anchovy and raspberry jam to the most deviant offering, but given the lack of customs officials' imagination and the Department of Agriculture's view on perverse preserves it might need collecting in person.

p.s. this preserve will be for display purposes only and not be of a consumable grade. The winner will have to sign a disclaimer on collection.

Kipper (C.E.O. of Fruitifish Jammin'Jelly Industries)
  • applaudmobileapplaudmobile Member Posts: 208
    crab and crab-apple? yummy
    I'll figure out a countdown timer :)
    It won't work because java isn't enabled on this website :(
    You'll have to count own in multiple of 5 seconds:
    --
    So in total how many prizes do we have?? and how are they broken down??
    the count down will go on my site... so java (if that is the best option) won't be a problem,
    Alright stormy sounds cool cant wait maybe i can fit in a second project :) Quick Question is it all right if i upload it to HTML5 and make a video from that or does it have to be a video from a iDevice?
    the video can be simply of the game playing in the GameSalad preview window....no need to see it on an idevice... thanks for asking though... (I'm just looking into the count down clock now, think I've found a nice way to do it....I'll update my site as soon as its working..then build the rest of the contest info around it)...
    Alright cool beans
    loving that on the new forum when you scroll to the bottom of categories (which I'm still doing out of habit from the old style forum), Think Outside the Box is the last one... quite a cool noticeable place to be...

Waiting for a reply from someone in regards to the countdown clock, nearly have it working...but want to make sure the time wont change to match your own time zones clock...(plus its not working on my site but works when I preview in Safari... grrrr...)
    Dear stormy,
    As for the fake iPhone running android I bought one to test for myself, however it seems to have some bugs, so I'm actually going to dismantle it and put some better chips into and some batteries, and maybe A dual booth Operating system of android and ios (if I can get my hands on ios)
    However this probably won't be ready to after totb4 but I would be glad to give it as a prize for totb5 (vie already started working on it)
    --
    For this year please change the prize from me to a custom intro made in final cut& motion
    That can be used in front of promos or anything,
    --
    Yours sincerely,
    Jack Leonard
    Cheers Jack... I will add it to the prize list soon... once I get the official webpage (with counter) finished...
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    Hey there Stormy - I think I will enter! However, I have a question. So only one dev can do all this - graphics - sound - and game?
    Or is it 1 person for the graphics sound etc?

Looking forward to this!
    you can try this website it gives you a countdown and you can set a specific location so if your in Canada set it to that if your in the US then you can set it by state :)
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    @Braydon_SFX
    Same rules as last time. (Not sure if you took part)
    No teams, so you must do it yourself.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    @JamieOneil

Alright, thanks. I understand now. Should be fun!
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but developers are allowed to use art that is not self created, right? The rules seem to distinguish non-self created art as "stock", which leads me to believe that custom art (that is not self designed) is not allowed. When I produce a game for this, I fully intend to distribute it afterward, meaning I'll have my artist do the graphics. The game itself will be created by one dev. As far as I can tell, the empathesis of this contest isn't the art, its on unique gameplay (or unique use of the GS tool). The rubric has art assets included, but they play a very small part of the entire score.

The no team rule is a good one, but I'm not sure about the art deal. I'm sure the judges can see the "inner beauty" of a game, but good game design also needs an understanding of good graphic design. And, quite frankly, having seen many of the art contributions in these forums, the gifted artists are far outnumbered by the likes of me.

So what's the official word? Will devs have the option of having an artist? (strictly for image creation).

• SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    I might do it! All depends on if my app is finished that soon =)

-Thomas
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    edited December 2011
    I'm in! Expect something big from me this time around! Also, any chance we can start on Christmas since I won't be busy so I can get started?

Also, I can donate any artpack, template, or asset I have in the Marketplace. I am still yet to submit many, but a few are on now.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    previous contests required the developer do everything coding/artwork by themselves. we had a few questions about purchasing artwork and the judges decided against it.

either way, it's a good point that should be explicitly stated in the rules what is allowed/disallowed.
    Hi (sorry for slow response, the new forum was'nt playing ball).

All art work will need to be done yourself, if you art skills are poor its not a massive deal as there are only a small ish amount of points to be awarded for audio and graphics.

(I wish we could quote peoples comments...hopefully it will be available soon)

Will post about new official webpage soon,... (the counter is working !!.. I think).
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    @stormystudio said:
    I wish we could quote peoples comments...hopefully it will be available soon
    You can but it takes a little copy and paste to do it. The code is:

@__username__ said: __quoted text__

That said I hope they will bring back the quote button.

Stormy, just wanna make sure you saw my comment about my donation and h=that I will enter. Its on the bottom of last page.
    Thanks HapiApps, great that your taking part...and I'll be are to add the prize to the list...
    Well I'm pleased to announce that the official web page for Think Outside The Box 4 is now live.

Please go check it out, the timer should now be setup to show a countdown to when the contest starts. (As New Year Strikes in the United Kingdom).

Please let me know what you think and I'll be adding the full prize breakdown soon.

http://www.stormystudio.com/totb4.html