TOTB4 • Game Design Contest • Win GameSalad Pro licence & more •

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    @Stormy

On that note, can we submit a game with outside graphics, and just accept a 0 on the art categories?
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @Liquid Gameworks..

I'm afraid you won't be allowed to enter a game featuring someone else's art work, even if you fore go the extra points. I do hope this doesn't stop you entering. I just want to try and keep it that all the content entered is by the individual to make the competition the same for everyone. ..Unintentionally the judges may still give extra points for game design and originality due to the graphics so it needs to be your own work.

Ideally if you don't want to put in below par graphics, you could add in squares and circles that show the gameplay idea and design. Then if you want to release your game later replace the graphics with your outsourced preferred choice.

Thanks for the questions... what did you think of the new official webpage?

http://www.stormystudio.com/totb4.html

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    edited December 2011
    No prob. I'll still enter, with my crappy doodles doing something awesome :)

Site looks great. Countdown will be a blessing to most of us in odd time zones. Alaska is kind of a loner in that regard.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Been having a think and I'm in on this... Looking forward to it.

Ace
    Ace that's great to hear.

I've been meaning to do a thread for theme suggestions.
    Can someone please do me a favour... if your in a different time zone to the Uk... i.e. The U.S.

Can you please goto my site..and check the timer is counting down to new year in the UK and not to your own New Year timezone.

I'm still not 100% sure if it is adjusting to peoples clocks or not... obviously want it to be the same time around the world so we all kick off together.

I think a site like http://www.timeanddate.com/ will help you check its correct... (search for 'London' United Kingdom) to see the time difference.

Thanks

stormy....
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    I'm afraid that it is adjusting to the time zone. I'm in Rome (that means UK time +1h) and the countdown in your site shows the right countdown for my time zone that is 20 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes and now here it's 11:55 AM.

doh!... ok I'll look into that...
  • EthanZarovEthanZarov Member Posts: 156
    There may be a chance. I like the idea of no art, only gamesalad default arts. I am probaby in if I can finish it in time.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    I know its a bit late, but please ad a short custom ident from me to the prize list please view my video here>
    Ok, finally added a 'not so cool looking' world clock to the official site

So hopefully everyone will see when new strikes in the UK and I announce the final theme.

Also decided that to announce the theme I will send out a big group email to everyone who has signed up to the mailing list. Then if I'm not near a computer someone can post the theme on this thread...(hopefully I will be near a computer...).

OH! does anyone know if its possible to set up a timed email to go off on the dot of new year.... as hopefully I'll be celebrating...

Cheers

Jon
  • gteteris001gteteris001 Member Posts: 51
    10 more days!!!!
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Well, i think i will be taking part!
    I think i am able to finish/almost finish the iPod version of my app by then!
  • master200012master200012 Member Posts: 372
    This is definitely a yes for me! Great to see so many prizes for a public event!
    Great to hear master 200012... we are nearly there..
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Speaking of prizes, when can we see an updated prize list stormy? Looks like there is a lot of interest in this contest, should be exciting!

- Alex
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Member, PRO Posts: 308
    @stormy Why not make it so everyone can pitch themes and then everyone votes on them to decide which one is chosen? This is how Ludum Dare does it and it seems to work very well because some themes you might not have thought of can be pitched, it also motivates people more if they are working on a theme that they like (if that is the most voted)...IDK, just my two cents.
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Member, PRO Posts: 308
    edited December 2011
    whoops, didn't see the other forum thread, I was wondering why I hadn't seen it on here, how dare I challenge you stormy ;)
    no probs ffloyd thanks for the pitching idea... but yep beat you to it......lots of ideas in that thread...I think I've decided what the final theme will be...

I've just updated the prize list on the 1st page of this thread... so the odd few I'd not gotten round to are now on there. I've also emailed darren and wayne at deep blue apps to see if they've decided what they want to offer up (if anything).

I'll tackle the break down of the prizes into categories in a minute.

I'll also try and send out an early TOTB4 email to check everyone gets it alright...

Cheers...
    @stormystudio
    To confirm I'm not offering that fake iPhone anymore
    @Leonard... thanks...it is removed...

Prize break down now available on the official TOTB4 webpage...

What do you think...I've tried to spread it out to make each prize worth while whilst making 1st place and best originality really worth going for...
    Sorry!, I know you've went to a lot of trouble to make this,but I'm feeling generous so everyone who makes a prize gets a free intro from me..... They can choose form the selection here>>>> http://thermo-apps.com/promosidents/
    --------
    And originally as was posted 3rd place gets a custom intro.....
    Custom= My own design created from there ideas.....
    theme= can use one of themes on my website, with their name on it.....
    (by the way stormy studio intros and indents are the best ones!)
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Looks great Stormy. Best of luck to everyone!!
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Loving the prize breakdown stormy! Can't wait until the theme is announced!

- Alex
    @Leonard.... just checking, so for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and the other 3 sub prizes you are offering a intro to each winner...

I'll update it later (tomorrow) if thats the case, it won't take 2 minutes nows it all up and running....sleep is beaconing right now...

Just sent out a big email to all the TOTB4 newsletter subscribers... quite a few of you now...48 I believe...though one might be my wife...

Also once again....

Prize list break down is live on the official webpage.. :-)
    Just to break it down I'm offering an intro theme to every prize winner list of themes are available on my sensory (link above)
    But for 1st prize I'll make a custom theme,
    Nighty night then:P
  • master200012master200012 Member Posts: 372
    Wow Tshirtbooth! Thanks! I'm sure everyone will enjoy it (well, duh! It's free)!
    @Tshirt
    It will be very cool to see what an hour a day for 1 month could produce (especially by some one who knows the software inside out).

Look forward to following the development thread.

I'd be tempted to do the same, if I didn't have my current project to finish. Which I'll get back on once this contest is up and running.

Two days to go...
    @tshirtbooth
    That sounds really cool! i bet your gonna produce something amazing!