I'm Considering Giving GameSalad Another Shot...

13»

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @Photics Yeh you know it sense to make some GameSalad projects, you're current game you're working on would of been finished, released, updated by now ;)

Barbarium does look pretty cool, its quite nicely done.

Theres been a few success stories round here. FMG was great and then obviously ported, TSB has had good success with some of his MAC apps and then theres the E-Pig series which has done awesome and P-O-M has now had over 1 million downloads. I predict a huge hit with P-O-M's new game that he's making. There is more but can't think off the top of my head.

I agree success stories shouldn't factor in your decision but its what people ask when they're new to an engine so with Stencyl being new, was just asking if you had seen any.

• 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    @beefy do you have any games on the market?
  • theCodeMonsterstheCodeMonsters Member Posts: 359
    @thecodemonsters
    How can you disagree?; As John said its more than just code snippets in Xcode, They also have to reformat their server to accept that code which then is more HTML, They also have program yet another HTML web app blocking non pro users from these ads, It takes a lot longer than 24hrs,
    Okay guys, I'm NOT saying it could take them 24 hours. I'm just using that to show you guys, that putting Game Center into a game (with multiplayer) is not very hard. Does this mean that it will take 24 hours to put into an Engine? NO! Of course not, all I'm saying is that it shouldn't even take them a 6 months to put in Game Center let alone 2 years. Now, guys let's get back on topic.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    A fifth feature should be on the list... a GameSalad API... what if we could write our own behaviors? What if GameSalad used the strength of this community to help with development?
    API is not an easy decision... it can easily become a support nightmare and a huge issue for GS. If games will start crashing all over because of custom 3rd party behaviors, everybody will point a finger at GS and the market will have a perception that GS games sucks (which some already have).
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @3xL I do indeed, check out my Website for a decent insight of released games and current project(s) ... the later of which you can also read about and see a video of early footage here

But yeh, as mentioned earlier, lets try to keep this on topic of which was @Photics and giving GS another shot.

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited May 2012
    API is not an easy decision... it can easily become a support nightmare and a huge issue for GS. If games will start crashing all over because of custom 3rd party behaviors, everybody will point a finger at GS and the market will have a perception that GS games sucks (which some already have).
    Maybe API is the wrong word. One of the nice things about Stencyl is that I can create custom code blocks. I haven't used that option yet though... which is why I don't think a GameSalad API (or custom code block) is such a bad idea. Those that understand it could use it. Those that don't, would likely avoid it.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    But yeh, as mentioned earlier, lets try to keep this on topic of which was @Photics and giving GS another shot.
    Does it makes sense to move this thread to a different category (maybe New Features Requests)? I don't feel is has anything to do with the Working With GS category (defined as "Actors, behaviors, and attributes, oh my!").

Maybe we should have a new category called "Leaving and Coming Back Announcements"...
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2012
    @3xL I do indeed, check out my Website for a decent insight of released games and current project(s) ... the later of which you can also read about and see a video of early footage here

Yea I just commented on your LAD thread haha. I forgot you were making that game lol I'm rooting for that game my man
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    @Photics Yeh you know it sense to make some GameSalad projects, you're current game you're working on would of been finished, released, updated by now ;)
    It's true, I could have completed a bunch of GameSalad projects by now. However, I'm looking at things from a different perspective.

It's getting harder to get noticed in the iTunes App Store. With games like Cut the Rope: Experiments available for free, it makes it even more difficult for an independent developer to get noticed.

So, I've been contemplating an exit from the iTunes app store. With Android, PC and Mac, I don't need to be on the related app stores, as files can be downloaded directly. If I do post games on the stores, they'll probably be free... but advertisement based or used for marketing. Unfortunately, iAds was disappointing to me. So, it's not really worth it to launch an iAds game.

Additionally, my situation with Stencyl is unique. I can make PC, Mac and Flash games without a subscription. I was an early adopter, so my access doesn't expire after a year.

If the goal is to get rich, I don't have to go the Angry Birds route. I could go the Pop Cap route... or build a popular gaming portal like Newgrounds or Mini Clip.

With GameSalad, I should have a bunch of games available on my site. But unfortunately, most of my games don't export to HTML5. And the ones that do, I don't want them hosted from GameSalad.com.

...and ultimately, my most successful App isn't a game. It's a book. So, I've been working with Stencyl with the aim of creating another book. I like the idea of creating a library of tech books... GameSalad, Stencyl, Corona, GameBuilder Studio, Web Development, etc.
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    I have always agreed with @Photics about Admob. I will always support any call for its inclusion - it is the only serious game in town and that being undeniable I am always astounded by GS response to reject it.

Developers need profit. What developers need is what GS needs.