'LAD' - Now released on the AppStore (beefy_clyro)

beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
edited September 2012 in Announce Your Game!
Hello,

So its that time again where I show off my latest game;

The game is a puzzle platform and is inspired by 2 indie games that I fell in love with ... Limbo and One and One Story. The game is wrapped in a cryptic story throughout, leaving the player unsure of a lot of things. Im over half way through and really enjoying this one.

Would love to hear your thoughts and will try and get up a gameplay video at some point over the weekend.

Comments

• mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Stunning dude! Looks amazing now you've changed the main character!

Ace
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    This game looks sick. I love the art and i can see myself enjoying this for sure.
    This looks like the kind of game where the right music will set the pace for the entire game.
    can't wait to see video.

Tshirt

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    Tshirtbooths 2012 Membership package

FREE GAMESALAD VIDEO TUTORIALS
    FREE GAMESALAD TEMPLATES
    Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Music is definitely key, I had one piece which was a solo piano track in believe it or not, a kind of happy tone ... but it did give a sense of loneliness. However, I changed the track last night to something a little darker and more atmospheric, I think the change is for the best :)
    Stunning dude! Looks amazing now you've changed the main character!

Ace
    Cheers Ace ... This is actually a different game to the one I was working on before, I've kind of left that one unattended since starting this one. This game, each level is on the one screen where as the other is bigger in scale and is more of a traditional platformer.
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    Love the graphics... very much like Limbo; impressive to see in GS.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    looks awesome ... well done so far!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Gosh - looks amazing, I don't know where to start...

Graphics are superb, they are well balanced and gives the feeling of loneliness and dispare.

I'll be bookmarking this one. :)

Excellent as usual!

Bray
  • salah.rahalsalah.rahal Member Posts: 121
    wow .. nice art bro ... cant wait to play with it
    good luck to you
    Love the graphics... very much like Limbo; impressive to see in GS.
    Thanks a lot, I decided to keep away from traditional length platform levels and keep it all to the size of the screen so it has a different 'feel' from the way 'Limbo' plays.
    oh man another silhouette game? I'm a way off from finishing mine, why don't u wait a bit huh? lol ;)

Looking good man. is it platformer-like with on screen controls?
    Haha cheers man. Yeh it is another I'm afraid and when this one is done the other needs to be finished! D'oh!

There are no on-screen controls except refresh and pause. Where the whole level is on the size of the screen, I didn't want controls covering bits that maybe important. The current control screen is just left and right side of the screen but there will be an option where you can revert to onscreen controls if you wish.
    looks awesome ... well done so far!
    Cheers dude :)

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Wow man, I love it! No wonder why you are a Line Cook :)
    edited May 2012
    Gosh - looks amazing, I don't know where to start...

Graphics are superb, they are well balanced and gives the feeling of loneliness and dispare.

I'll be bookmarking this one. :)

Excellent as usual!

Bray
    Hopefully, if I've pulled this off, you should get a sense of confusion, loneliness and a couple of moments of extra shock!
    wow .. nice art bro ... cant wait to play with it
    good luck to you
    Cheers for the best wishes, hopefully the game lives upto the expectations!

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    edited May 2012
    Looks really sweet!, I love the art!, I have some major competition for Project "After Dark" May the best dev win ;) That doesn't mean stab me in my sleep....
    Seriously Mate,
    Love it!, Cant wait to see more!
    Wow man, I love it! No wonder why you are a Line Cook :)
    Awesome dude!
    Looks really sweet!, I love the art!, I have some major competition for Project "After Dark" May the best dev win ;) That doesn't mean stab me in my sleep....
    Seriously Mate,
    Love it!, Cant wait to see more!
    I wouldn't stab you in your sleep, i'd wait till you walked down the road and then stab you in the back ... much more manly, I'm not a coward ;)
    Cheers though mate, the competition is always high around here these days, soo many good developers producing great games!

@beefy_clyro
    Good on ya, I'm sure I'll prefer to be stabbed while walking,
    haha, yeah, There will be skin and hair flying if we enter these into game of the month at the same time ;) Cant wait for a gameplay video on this, Looks absolutely brilliant!, Reminds me of one of those "contre jour" top-charts apps!,
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Im like so going to beta test this. ;)
    @beefy_clyro
    Good on ya, I'm sure I'll prefer to be stabbed while walking,
    haha, yeah, There will be skin and hair flying if we enter these into game of the month at the same time ;) Cant wait for a gameplay video on this, Looks absolutely brilliant!, Reminds me of one of those "contre jour" top-charts apps!,
    No idea when this will be finished in fairness, its still a bit away yet! I think whenever you enter game of the month you come up against stiff competition.
    Im just hoping the gameplay lives up to the expectations now. ha.
    Im like so going to beta test this. ;)
    Haha .. Yes i'll announce if I need public betas, i have a select group I usually use

@beefy_clyro
    Yeah, Game of the month is getting fairly tough at the moment,
    I'm guessing your dreading level design like we discussed?, I'm really starting to think it will be a long time before I make a platformer again ;) I'm sure the gameplay will live up to the expectations, If its like the rest of your projects, I know its going to b really sweet!,
    How many levels are you aiming for?, Is it 40?
    @beefy_clyro
    Yeah, Game of the month is getting fairly tough at the moment,
    I'm guessing your dreading level design like we discussed?, I'm really starting to think it will be a long time before I make a platformer again ;) I'm sure the gameplay will live up to the expectations, If its like the rest of your projects, I know its going to b really sweet!,
    How many levels are you aiming for?, Is it 40?
    Level design I'm not dreading as such ... As this is all on the default screen size so its not making really long levels. Having said that, the majority of levels are still taking a good hour plus!
    This will start with around 40 levels yes.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Wow, it looks really good. Since there's also a white silhouette boy do you have some kind of cooperative gameplay like Babylonian Twins?

Wow, it looks really good. Since there's also a white silhouette boy do you have some kind of cooperative gameplay like Babylonian Twins?

There is no co-op gameplay going on, the white boy has a significance but thats all I'm saying ;)
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676

There is no co-op gameplay going on, the white boy has a significance but thats all I'm saying ;)

lmao dammit white boy!
    this limbo inspired game is gorgeous. i remember wanting to do something similar. but i didn't :(
  • PixelPunPixelPun Member Posts: 324
    Whoa... Looks great! I love drawing trees... I do oil paintings of them... And I am really digging your trees! Great job!

lmao dammit white boy!
    this limbo inspired game is gorgeous. i remember wanting to do something similar. but i didn't :(
    Yeh I'm pleased to be getting round to it, i've been meaning to for what feels like ages now.
    Whoa... Looks great! I love drawing trees... I do oil paintings of them... And I am really digging your trees! Great job!

Gotta love trees man, we'd struggle to be here without them :) Plus they're beautiful, they're scary, intriguing, weird, they're just sooo different from tree to tree.
    Status Update - 14/05/12

Sorry guys, been a bit of a let down and didn't get a chance to record any video footage! I have put a lot of time in though over the weekend, making small changes all over to add more polish and have even been through about 3 different menu systems! But I now have the one I want :) Most the ground work has been put in so that will just need small changes as I complete the rest of the levels.

The majority of the menus is done to be fair, its a weird feeling for me, I normally leave this till right at the end but this time, its more or less completed with two thirds of the levels done.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    Looks amazing. Is the background going to be animated (the rain, fog, etc.)?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Thanks @tatiang

Some bits are animated, there is rain and lightning in one of the 'worlds'. Problem is full screen animations of these are quite taxing so need to be careful.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Looking forward to seeing the menu :)

And to see what the little white ninja kid is about.

Ace
    I've had to take the slider idea out of the level select as it was just too small of a space it caused it to behave erratically. Its now just a button either side.
    The white kid doesn't do anything special ... He just plays a big part!
    Status Update - 27/05/12

Ok guys so I haven't provided an update on this for a couple of weeks now. As promised, just a little bit late, I have now managed to knock up a video.
    The video is some footage of the earlier levels and doesn't show off some of the cooler things but you'll get a sense of what its about and how its played. The music from the video is the music you'll hear in-game ... just without the sound effects you'll also hear.

Would love to hear your thoughts :)
  • theCodeMonsterstheCodeMonsters Member Posts: 359
    @beffy_clyro NICE! This looks fantastic! Keep us up to date
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    It looks great Keith! Very professional!