'LAD' - Now released on the AppStore (beefy_clyro)

Comments

• carlblanchetcarlblanchet Member Posts: 755
    Awesome!!! :D
  • zombiesdrulezombiesdrule PRO Posts: 131
    good luck
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    niiiiiiiiiceone!
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    edited September 2012
    Booya!!
    @uptimistik or any other sous, could you please change this thread title to - 'LAD' - Now released on the AppStore (beefy_clyro).

@Braydon_SFX @carlblanchet @zombiesdrule @Sparkyidr Thank you very much, soo exciting :)

@everyone else, here is the relevant links should you wish to check it out;

iPhone - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lad/id530968042?ls=1&mt=8

iPad - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lad-hd/id556680029?ls=1&mt=8

• poorcollegedevpoorcollegedev Member Posts: 289
    I need to..uhh...go change my pants real quick. brb ;)
  • 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    @beefy_clyro

Link says not available In us store. Guess I'll go punch an old lady again :(
    I need to..uhh...go change my pants real quick. brb ;)
    @poorcollegedev haha always pack a spare ;)
    @beefy_clyro

Link says not available In us store. Guess I'll go punch an old lady again :(
    @3xL Ah i guess it will be from midnight for you guys. Its 2am here in the UK which is why it shows for me, you could always change to the UK store and download it;

http://itunes.apple.com/uk/app/lad/id530968042?ls=1&mt=8
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    edited September 2012
    Bought this for iPad and here are my thoughts. The game graphics are stunning, the setting is wonderful and the music fits perfectly. I find the gameplay to work but have trouble with the jumping. He seems to jump almost straight p even while running. Lastly I think the pause and reset button stand out too much and take away a little from the atmosphere. On a side note my side note my six year old looked at what I was playing and said "oh you're playing Limbo".
  • firstofjunefirstofjune Member Posts: 12
    Art is sweet! It's just the price...
    Perhaps you could do a lite version... :P
    @beefy_clyro changed the title for ya bro! Can't wait till this is out in the US store!!
    Thanks Bud
    Bought this for iPad and here are my thoughts. The game graphics are stunning, the setting is wonderful and the music fits perfectly. I find the gameplay to work but have trouble with the jumping. He seems to jump almost straight p even while running. Lastly I think the pause and reset button stand out too much and take away a little from the atmosphere. On a side note my side note my six year old looked at what I was playing and said "oh you're playing Limbo".
    @BazookaTime Thank You for your feedback, really appreciate this! Interesting on the pause and reset button, not had much feedback on that at all, if I get more i'll look to adjust it, maybe make them smaller and lighter!
    As for the jumping, if the side that you are running is kept pressed down, he will perform enough of a jump in that direction. People do struggle a little with jumping at first but once you really get familiar with it, then it becomes comfortable to do. I may need to look at tweaking it though! Again, appreciate your feedback, thank you!
    Art is sweet! It's just the price...
    Perhaps you could do a lite version... :P
    @firstofjune haha no plans for a light version yet but we'll see what happens in the future!
    I'll be honest with ya bro...that jumping control needs work. I gave up on the third level. Could not make the jump.

I understand the whole 'Hold down left, tap right to jump' but it's the actual jump that's messed up I think, well as you get more feedback you'll see if I'm just a lousy player. haha that may be it though LOL.
    @uptimistik Thanks for the feedback dude, always appreciate the honesty! We'll certainly see as more feedback rolls in ;) From the testing I had done, people did struggle with jumping at first but once they 'got it', they had no further issues and it then felt right! The key aspect of it is timing ... like if you're doing a double jump, don't double tap too quickly. Keep the direction you're going pressed down, jump once and as he's about to land or fall in the hole as it may be, press to activate the second jump. Basically, you just have to stretch it out!
    When I grew up, games were about positioning and timing and thats what I wanted to do with this! Problem we have today is that people aren't used to that on mobiles, if its too hard, they move on, not do it over and over until they conquer it! I really toyed with the idea of making the jumping much more forgiving but it then kind of goes against the premise of the game!!! Hmmmmmm!
    edited September 2012
    I am really struggling with the jumping on 1.5. I had problems prior to this level but not to this extent. Maybe if I understood it better or someone had a tip?

What I struggle with is the character has very limited right movement (on jumps) even when running. I can go to the first platform on 1.5 and barley miss it everything. I am guessing I have tried over 50 times. The odd thing is that I can stand right by the platform hold right and pound the jump/double jump and the character will go much higher than needed. So that seems odd that when running, I can't get the same height. Tips?
    I am really struggling with the jumping on 1.5. I had problems prior to this level but not to this extent. Maybe if I understood it better or someone had a tip?

What I struggle with is the character has very limited right movement (on jumps) even when running. I can go to the first platform on 1.5 and barley miss it everything. I am guessing I have tried over 50 times. The odd thing is that I can stand right by the platform hold right and pound the jump/double jump and the character will go much higher than needed. So that seems odd that when running, I can't get the same height. Tips?
    @BazookaTime Keep running up against the platform edge .. Jump once .. When you hit the peak and are about to fall down, hit for the double jump whilst still trying to run right!
    Are you against the 1st platform trying to get over that or platforms over the right hand side of the screen?
    I am still on the first platform. I can get to the edge but slip off every time.
    @BazookaTime ... I know the one! Just been testing again on my iPad (you are on iPad arent you?) and there seems to be a little problem there! If you can imagine that platform has a side and then the top (which is the ground), when you touch the ground it resets your jump and this allows you to jump again, the side part doesn't! Problem is you get kind of stuck on that edge you are referring too (side part) and it doesnt trigger the jump reset to let you go again! I did make it over after a few attempts but know exactly where you are stuck! You can make it over this, I think i got to the edge and it let me jump over again!
    This is not present on the iPhone version, only the iPad! I can see the frustration of this part, not sure how it slipped through in all honesty but I will certainly fix this right away and get an update sent in!
    Yep, I am playing the iPad version.
    I know the bit you're referring too! Damn it! I will get an update in fixing that bit and ask for an expedited review asap! You could wait for that or it is possible to get your way past it ... maybe with a bit of luck!
    I just got past it but you have to be lucky. If anyone gets stuck there, I just pressed up against the wall, kept runnning and pounded the jump button and he almost does a triple jump and can clear it.
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    YAY!
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    I've played it and played it, buddy that jump control, needs some tweaking. He needs to move forward a bit more when jumping. He's going too straight up and not far enough forward. It's very frustrating, simple jumps require a thumb-numbing pounding of the screen.

And might I also suggest that the crates move a little faster when pushed? I know they are crates, but feels like he's moving a mountain.

I get difficult games, but difficult games mean the controls must be spot on. Or else they will frustrate the player.
    I agree 100%. I actually stopped after 1.5 because I just couldnt take the way the character jumped. Im sorry man, but you need to make this change in order for it to be great.

Cheers
    Max
    I just got past it but you have to be lucky. If anyone gets stuck there, I just pressed up against the wall, kept runnning and pounded the jump button and he almost does a triple jump and can clear it.
    @BazookaTime Pleased to hear you eventually got past .. The issue will still be sorted in an update!
    I've played it and played it, buddy that jump control, needs some tweaking. He needs to move forward a bit more when jumping. He's going too straight up and not far enough forward. It's very frustrating, simple jumps require a thumb-numbing pounding of the screen.

And might I also suggest that the crates move a little faster when pushed? I know they are crates, but feels like he's moving a mountain.

I get difficult games, but difficult games mean the controls must be spot on. Or else they will frustrate the player.
    @uptimistik Taken on board my friend, a lot of people are having issues with it and believe me, i'm going to send in an update to adjust the controls!

I agree 100%. I actually stopped after 1.5 because I just couldnt take the way the character jumped. Im sorry man, but you need to make this change in order for it to be great.

Cheers
    Max
    @VentoraStudios The change will happen! I've received a lot of feedback on how people are finding the jumping mechanic and I will certainly be changing it!
    Just hang in there. You made a quality game and once the jump gets smoothed out, all will be good.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Looks great and I actualy got the hang of jumping.
    Little problem sofar is on finding the first note I passed to watch the diary. Then wen unpausing all the buttons disappeared but it did not unpause (screen is still dark) probably a bad timer or something.
    Overall a big 5 star.
    Just hang in there. You made a quality game and once the jump gets smoothed out, all will be good.
    Thanks @BazookaTime It's going to take some re-working for sure but I want people to enjoy it and it seems the whole games balance will depend on what I come up with! If it doesnt feel much better then the game will ultimately fail because of it!
    Looks great and I actualy got the hang of jumping.
    Little problem sofar is on finding the first note I passed to watch the diary. Then wen unpausing all the buttons disappeared but it did not unpause (screen is still dark) probably a bad timer or something.
    Overall a big 5 star.
    @LudwigHeijden Thanks for the feedback, its nice to hear from people that did get the hang of the jumping as well. I've received some very nice email from people saying they love the game which is certainly welcomed :) Due to the volume of people who have become frustrated with the jumping, im definitely going to have to change it to be more forgiving!
    As for that bug, certainly sounds like an issue with a timer! Its weird as this never happened during testing but I have seen it happen today as well with a work colleague, the next time they fired up and went in it worked correctly!! Oh the joys of trying to track down something like that! ha
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    edited September 2012
    Bought. It's a really nice game. Agree with the comments on the controlls, but besides that is really impressive and extremely atmospheric. I'll leave a nice review on the AppStore this weekend.
  • andrewm2211andrewm2211 Member Posts: 341
    Just bought it, great game, nice one, it really has it's own personality.

Aside from all the above about controls. I have a really hard time seeing the guy, I can feel the muscles in my eye getting tired after straining to see him the entire time.

And in the first few training levels, one has a hidden pit? I don't get it, you jump over a cliff, and then fall in to no-where? I couldn't see any indication of where the hole was just did it by memory eventually.

Best of luck!
    Did u email app advice? They are talking about ya!
    Bought. It's a really nice game. Agree with the comments on the controlls, but besides that is really impressive and extremely atmospheric. I'll leave a nice review on the AppStore this weekend.
    @dhondon Thanks a lot man! Yeh will be adjusting the controls and submitting in an update! Hopefully people will then really give the game a good shot!
    Just bought it, great game, nice one, it really has it's own personality.

Aside from all the above about controls. I have a really hard time seeing the guy, I can feel the muscles in my eye getting tired after straining to see him the entire time.

And in the first few training levels, one has a hidden pit? I don't get it, you jump over a cliff, and then fall in to no-where? I couldn't see any indication of where the hole was just did it by memory eventually.

Best of luck!
    @andrewm2211 Thanks for your feedback! What device are you playing it on? If its retina, you should see the 'hidden' hole comfortably enough although it is disguised! You also shouldn't have to strain too hard to see the character, again I wonder what device you are playing on? Cheers
    Did u email app advice? They are talking about ya!
    @3xL I emailed a lot of people so quite possibly. Ha. I hope once I've updated the controls people re-review or change their reviews! I really do believe it is a good game if people get past the controls!

How are sales my friend?
  • andrewm2211andrewm2211 Member Posts: 341
    @beefy_clyro
    I'm on an iphone 4 , and I usually have my brightness at about %35 , (my esitmate from where I have the slider) , I just upped the brightness all the way, and it's a whole new game now. I totally see the hidden jump.

I do get the jump a little more now, I realize you can get pretty far on the tip of that ledge before falling off, I'm having a good time with it!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I can't believe I missed this!! I'm buying a copy now!