Im hearing whispers of the new 4.0License agreement that might spanner Gamesalad

eddysparkseddysparks Member Posts: 24
"Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited."

http://www.davidkaneda.com/post/506259442/apple-iphone

Anyone have more info?

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    OK, I'm starting to feel a little sick...
  • BreezeonholdBreezeonhold Member Posts: 187
    Can we still use GameSalad??
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    Dudes
    that statement in true apple fashion is vague enough for them to allow or ban anyhing they want
    No I really don't want to learn how to program! It was so easy to make a game with GameSalad...
  • paulitsmepaulitsme Member Posts: 109
    I think it will have more to do with Adobe flash than anything else.
  • VmlwebVmlweb Member Posts: 427
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What will we do without GameSalad?

This will cause tons of developers to lose thier app engine like unity/toque/cocos 2d and a load of others
    Why wouldn't Apple want flash games? Doesn't that mean more money for them??
  • VmlwebVmlweb Member Posts: 427
    It's a little to do with security issues but the big thing is that web games in safari would take away the popularity of apps I think
    I agree. I freaked out for a moment, but the more apps sold the more money apple makes. Why would they care what we use to make them as long as people buy them? It really doesn't make sense unless it is just a way to try and kill off flash once and for all.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I doubt this is a GameSalad killer. Heh, but if it is, that would likely speed up the development of Android and Web Browser support. After reading about how little money people made with the launch of the iPad, is it really such a bad thing if it's true?
    I'm gonna go with....

..yes
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Was similar wording in pre-4.0 legal docs??

Could have sworn I heard/read this before 4.0.
  • StormtrixStormtrix Member Posts: 256
    Well i hope we are safe since i just plucked down the $99 last night for GameSalad :)
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    I remember reading a little while back that Apple was concerned at the amount of 'low' quality apps flooding the app store, and one way to cut back on these is to stop apps being made by third party app tools like GS.

I am not saying that GS apps are 'low' quality as we all know there are some superb GS apps out there and the best is yet to come, but GS along with the other third party tools does easily allow the creation of 'low' quality apps that Apple wants to put a stop to.
    Well be fine
    I also think it's too early call the ipad launch

selling out is hardly a failure
    regardless of what the haters blog
    apple did t anticipate that many selling

just wait

even if it fails iPhone iPod will be in power for some time
    It would be really nice to hear from gendai on this one!
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169

My funeral will be next wednesday, all of you that survive are welcome to come :P
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    So many of us reading this all at once, this threads getting updated every minute! :-)
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    SO dont get the iphone 4 preview? Wouldn't that let us know for sure, if you install it and GS doesn't work, there's your answer..
    If Apple didn't want some cr@p apps, they wouldn't be approving them or letting in stuff like "Cutie Pie Girly #32".
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    It just doesn't seem likely to me. Adobe is making a big thing out of CS5...

http://cs5launch.adobe.com/

...but the only feature I see worth upgrading for is the Flash to iPhone option. If Apple kills that, wow, it's like war. I can't imagine a blanket ban on all Flash made apps. If it does happen, that would make it easier on GameSalad developers.

...and... AND... so what?! I think GameSalad should just export to XCODE. It used to do this and it would be cool to make some tweaks to my game.

But again... I don't think this is anything that significant. Apple doesn't make money from Flash games in the browser, but they'd make a lot of money off them once they can run as apps.
    @ebony

soon everyone will have 4.0
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    I hope if gamesalad does get "banned", then hopefully gendai will convert our games to C or C++. I hope this doesn't happen though!
    @eboy: Not sure Apple would go out-of-its-way to disable GS's engine but what they could do is add certain checks for identifiable features/filenames/strings within an app package pertinent to GS's created app package and flag it during the app review process. Then you get a "rejection" e-mail for your submitted app. GS may have to go stealth. haha!

Even if GS exported to an XCode bundle, it would still contain GS'es execution engine to execute our app's GS "template".
    Months away anyways
    So, think of the children. :'(
    Yeah, get the apps out while you can!

;-)
    Submit as many apps as you can while you still have the chance (:
    I think apple should work with gamesalad and release a WYSIWYG game engine.
    That's already why people talk trash
    keep that plan hush hush
This discussion has been closed.