Who does this new face belong to?

Comments

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @HoneyTribeStudios - As an artist who struggles with efficiently laying out game logic, an engine that handles my crap more efficiently will definitely allow me to produce better games. :)
    Engine improvements will help all of us around here to make smoother gameplay experiences with more detailed game worlds :)
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    edited April 2013

I've been looking at http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter.htm and http://esotericsoftware.com/ as potential tools to add support for.

I can't commit to when support for such systems would be implemented, but I really see such tools as a necessary part of taking your games to the next level.

Thanks!
    Great! I baked spriter on kickstarter!
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Funny I was just making a horse animation in spine when I decided to check the forums.
    Me likey what I hear!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Just looking back on GameSalad it occured to me, GameSalad supports its community and follows what they ask.

While I left GS for about 4 months to pursue my endeavours with Corona, I realized that there really is no Developer Platform Business/Company that respects and listens to its customers as much as GameSalad.

Ever since Corona changed from Ansca Mobile to Coronalabs; They've taken a more "Enterprise" approach,

I am confident to rely on GameSalad knowing that there community will always be the heart of their pursued direction.

Its also amazing to see new people like yourself @codewizzard so propelled and so focused on what needs to be done & People like @saladstraightshooter who puts up with our crap ;) and does an excellent job of passing our communications onto the rest of the GameSalad team.

This is what makes me proud to say I use GameSalad!
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited April 2013

I'd like to see GameSalad supporting some third party editors for animation data as well so you don't have to hand code them. Getting immediate visual feedback on your animations makes iterating on them much faster. That, in turn allows you to get higher quality at a quicker pace.

I've been looking at http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter.htm and http://esotericsoftware.com/ as potential tools to add support for.

Wow... now your really talking about taking Gamesalad in a much more user friendly direction... supporting external animation tools definately gives us more power, and takes a lot of the heavy lifting off of GameSalads shoulders... kudos to you for pushing in this direction.

Can I also suggest you open up a line of dialogue with the guys over at DeepBlueApps.. over the past few years theyve built some extremely useful tools to help work around many GameSalad issues... I understand theyve attempted to forge closer ties with the GS engineers in the past, but that nothing came of it.

For everything theyve done to help push GS forward, I think they could be a helpful asset to have working more closely with the GS engineers on a more official level... just a thought... as GameSalad tool providers, theyve definately earnt a lot of respect amongst the community... and really seem to know the ins and outs of how the software is engineered... :)
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554

wowsome!! that'll be really cool, cos sprite anim sounds like a thing of the 80's. Though sprite anim is still a fav (even with big guys), nothing beats interpol anim. Getting jitters about the thought of it getting integrated into GS.

Nice roadmap guys. :-bd
  • ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    @CodeWizard Welcome to the gamesalad team! I really hope things will move faster now so we can have more great features. First of all the engine is a big deal for everyone and its hard for gamesalad to release the final build. The next thing is I really hope for joints, because it can make a game so much more interactive and fun for the users. I also helpes getting new ideas of the ground.

Thanks
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    About optimization. I forgot to mention that a big deal for me, is that GS Creator is working pretty slow, especially when project is getting bigger and bigger. This really breaks a working flow and making game development a lot less enjoyable and a lot more slow.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    edited April 2013
    @CodeWizard - So in your mind, how often would you like to see updates take place? I think right now, Gamesalad pushes out around 3-4 large updates year. Just curious what your thoughts are on the matter? The other way to go possibly would be to look at how Corona & Stencyl do it, which is to have nightly-ish builds with whatever was worked on and finalized that day, put out for beta-testing.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @wpaten
    We're still figuring out the best way to speed this up.

The team is all for getting nightly builds out to folks that don't mind being on the bleeding edge. QA is working out the details of that now. No ETA yet, will update when I have one.

My preference is that we aim for a two-week release cycle. In those releases we include creator / engine improvements and optimizations. Longer term features would be released when ready. That's what I'll be working towards right away.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    @wpaten

The team is all for getting nightly builds out to folks that don't mind being on the bleeding edge. QA is working out the details of that now. No ETA yet, will update when I have one.

My preference is that we aim for a two-week release cycle. In those releases we include creator / engine improvements and optimizations. Longer term features would be released when ready. That's what I'll be working towards right away.
    I like both of those options actually. Another take could be a meld of the two. Have the stable two week release, with nightly builds. This way you have the "Crazy Beta-Testers" working for you to call out bugs and such, and you also have the people who just want it to work with no issues being taken care as well.

Just a thought.
    @wpaten
    Agreed! :D
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @wpaten

Yes, yes, and yes!
    Two week release cycle? :-O *Mind blown*
    Keep us updated. :)
    - Thomas
    edited April 2013
    @wpaten

Let me be absolutely clear here. This is my personal preference on feature / build delivery. I'll do what I can to make that happen. However, we still have a lot of things to work out internally to get there. No promises on if / when we can achieve that "gold standard" I'm setting for us. Still, the closer the better!
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792

Let me be absolutely clear here. This is my personal preference on feature / build delivery. I'll do what I can to make that happen. However, we still have a lot of things to work out internally to get there. No promises on if / when we can achieve that "gold standard" I'm setting for us. Still, the closer the better!
    @CodeWizard @All_the_GS_Programmers
    @HoneyTribeStudios
    My kids and I laughed out loud at that! :D
  • PimanPiman Member, PRO Posts: 165
    @wpaten

Awesome! :D
  • PimanPiman Member, PRO Posts: 165
    Just make sure the rest of the team doesn't get jealous of all the love you're getting on the forums. :D :D
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Just make sure the rest of the team doesn't get jealous of all the love you're getting on the forums. :D :D
    Yea... Might want to bring your own salad dressing for a while...

Just sayin..
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    edited April 2013
    @CodeWizard

Hi buddy, One question, you seem a great wizard to create architectures for multiplayer games, looks feasible to implement this feature in GameSalad? In the near future? (Yes, I know that this road map, but 2 years ago when I enter in GS was also on the old road map and even today we do not have that functionality)

I would like you to put in place the game developer, if you wanted to create a game, would choose GameSalad? Or choose another SDK? I bet you would choose another SDK, so now I would like to ask why .... and change it in GameSalad. I hope that I have misunderstood.

regards
    @RUPAS
    Multiplayer support is definitely coming. We've started the design process for it recently. We'll announce delivery timing once we know it ourselves.

I think GameSalad is a great tool! It's especially awesome at bringing in folks with art / design experience but no coding experience. That's really cool. I think we need to add more to the tool to support mid-range to advanced developers. I've been giving that a lot of thought lately. We're gonna have some fun leveling up the tool in the coming months.

Asking me what engine I'd use isn't really a fair question. I personally wouldn't use any of the off-the-shelf engines to make my games. I've been making games long enough that I can write an entire engine and ship games using it. My last three projects: "Udder Destruction", "Draw Something" and "Jangle" were all built on an engine that I wrote from scratch.

I'm really excited about where we're going to be taking GameSalad. If I were you, I'd stick with us and enjoy the ride to come! :D
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited April 2013
    My last three projects: "Udder Destruction", "Draw Something" and "Jangle" were all built on an engine that I wrote from scratch.
    Come again Mr Wizard?! Are you the developer behind 'Draw Something'?

Roy.
    @POM
    Yes. My last company was contracted by OMGPOP to build Draw Something. It was their design and artwork built on the engine I wrote for my indie company. I did the majority of the code for that game, yes.

Small world, right?
    My last three projects: "Udder Destruction", "Draw Something" and "Jangle" were all built on an engine that I wrote from scratch.
    Come again Mr Wizard?! Are you the developer behind 'Draw Something'?

Roy.
    Exactly what I was going to quote and ask.. No way? >-) $-)
    - Thomas
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    @POM
    Yes. My last company was contracted by OMGPOP to build Draw Something. It was their design and artwork built on the engine I wrote for my indie company. I did the majority of the code for that game, yes.

Small world, right?
    Well kudos to you! =D> =D> Such an awesome game
    What an impressing achievement !

Roy.
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    @RUPAS
    Do not doubt it! Until the end with GameSalad!
    @CodeWizard - You should of said that the first time! Impression level is through the roof :D
    - Thomas
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    *faints*

Multiplayer you say? Can't wait! :D I knows it's a long way off, but thanks for letting us know you've started on it!
  • hk9000hk9000 Member, PRO Posts: 11
    Welcome Mr Wizard! :D
    Looking forward to see the improvement on Gamesalad!