Who does this new face belong to?

Comments

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @CodeWizard
    Sounds like you're pretty qualified; GS has made a very nice hire ;)

Chakku
  • LLLLLL PRO Posts: 4
    Hey Wiz kid! Thanks for taking on the world of gamesalad. I was about to switch engines but your post made me want to stay. I was wondering will their be anyway for us to code a little into the game instead of having it all drag and drop with the lua free engine?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @LLL
    Scripting the engine? I'd say that's a great idea!
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @LLL
    A great idea, but is it actually an upcoming feature?
    - Thomas
  • JarrenHJarrenH Member Posts: 206
    @LLL
    A great idea, but is it actually an upcoming feature?
    - Thomas
    With the guys over at RunRev making LiveCode open source, I can smell a possible connection....
  • PimanPiman Member, PRO Posts: 165
    I made a suggestion for scripting and for it to include more, a possible Gamesalad Pro+
    See:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/55041/gamesalad-pro#latest

Needless to say, it'd be great.
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    @Chakku
    Of course he is qualified. He worked at Microsoft and a few other companies. =D> ^:)^ ^:)^
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2013
    @Chakku
    Of course he is qualified. He worked at Microsoft and a few other companies.
    Microsoft is nothing compared to 6 months @ GameSalad.

CodeWizard in 6 months:

imageimage
  • PimanPiman Member, PRO Posts: 165
    @Socks LOL
    @Socks - Are you going to keep updating that until he's just a pile of ash? :P
    - Thomas
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    LOL!
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    @Socks, try not to scare away the new guy or he may not stick around to do awesome things. I've been at GameSalad for over 5 years. If anything, I would have gotten fatter from the sodas. :)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited April 2013
    CodeMonkey?!

"Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...
    a long long time."
    edited April 2013
    @Socks - Are you going to keep updating that until he's just a pile of ash? :P
    - Thomas
    @SnapFireStudios

Just for you (file attached):
    ;)
    edited April 2013
    @Socks, try not to scare away the new guy or he may not stick around to do awesome things. I've been at GameSalad for over 5 years. If anything, I would have gotten fatter from the sodas. :)
    @CodeMonkey

imageimage

Too much ?
    @Socks, hah. Just a bit too much. I don't think I have encephalitis. Plus I've saved my cola drinking only the day after a long night of work. :)

@Photics, you must not have been looking at the same threads I've been commenting on.
    edited April 2013
    CodeMonkey?!

a long long time."
    He's been around quite a bit actually, especially more recently.

@Socks - Yes! That's awesome. =))
    - Thomas

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    CodeMonkey?!

a long long time."
    He's been around quite a bit actually, especially more recently.

@Socks - Yes! That's awesome. =))
    - Thomas

I think he's competing with @codewizard
    @tenrdrmer Or I'm really dedicated to an April Fool's joke, and we're the same person.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    @tenrdrmer Or a disaster... As @SaladStraightShooter said: [It would be like] "GS Direct x100, I'm guessing." (Read it in context: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/388553/#Comment_388553 ) Also I inserted the [ ] to give it some context.
    edited April 2013
    @Socks, hah. Just a bit too much. I don't think I have encephalitis. Plus I've saved my cola drinking only the day after a long night of work. :)
    @CodeMonkey

It wasn't the encephalitis that did it, it was the enchiladas.
  • TioJavyTioJavy Member Posts: 26
    Awesome, you rock!
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    Now time for Codelord or a CodeChampion or maybe even a CodeNerd
    @CodeWizard I have a question for you Mr.Wizard. Would it be possible to make the "Spawn Actor" action able to spawn actors in different layers? It would help out my game sooo much. Thats ahead of time for any reply! :)
    @CodeWizard I have a question for you Mr.Wizard. Would it be possible to make the "Spawn Actor" action able to spawn actors in different layers? It would help out my game sooo much. Thats ahead of time for any reply! :)
    I'm not CodeWizard, but hopefully the answer is still good enough.
    While theoretically you can spawn an actor in different layers with some code changes, it is not as simple as just adding an attribute selection in the spawn actor behavior.
    Since scenes have different attributes than other scenes, we have locked off access to scene attributes from prototype actors and thus couldn't accurately let the Spawn Actor behavior specify which layer to spawn to. We would need to do a larger overhaul to the engine to do what you're asking. That would require a larger design to make sure everything would still work without crashing other things.
    I could possibly think of a solution of referencing a layer by index, with 'current layer' as an option. But you'd also need to make sure if the index is invalid then the behavior gracefully fails to work.

With the current functionality I use one of 2 methods:
    1) Your layers are just one layer and you treat top of layer, bottom of layer, in front of actor, and behind actor as "layers".
    2) You have the same actor prototype in different layers and depending on which layer you need, you call that actor via game attribute to spawn an actor defined by another game attribute.
    @CodeMonkey - While we both know that your two options are not always optimal, I understand why it is difficult to implement this. Thank you for answering. :)
    - Thomas
    @CodeMonkey Thanks for the answer! :) I'm just going to spit out another idea that will probably have a good reason for not being implemented, but what about using a change attribute to change the layer? Like this:
    Inside the scene attributes accessed when double clicking an actor use change attribute: actor.layer to (insert layer name here)
    @Utveckla_Games - I'm pretty sure that would have the same exact issues that he described. That's basically what your suggestion would do. (But yes, the feature would be nice)
    - Thomas
    @Utveckla_Games that would probably be a new attribute type needed. Layers don't have unique names so passing in a layer name wouldn't work so easily without breaking someone's project.
    There's also the case where some layers are scrollable and some are not. That would also affect where actors are drawn when you switch between layers.