State of GameSalad on 2-19-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
We released an update to the stable build this past week to address anti-virus issues on Android and app rejections happening on iOS. We're also head's down still fixing bugs for 0.11.0. Our current bug count is around 20. Take a look at this handy graph showing our current status:
Yeah, that means we've closed out 103 bugs so far. We keep finding a handful of issues as we go but it's getting better every day. The current open bug count is 20 but there are a couple of more that have been fixed since this graph was updated.

Beyond bug fixing on 0.11 we're focused on implementing the new cross-platform creator. There are some sweet details we'll be sharing about this over the next months. It's getting exciting!

Our async multiplayer provider "Playstogether" is running into some issues. We're currently working with them to resolve these problems. I'll have more information on this once I can sit down and talk with their tech leadership. I wish I could say more now. :)

More news next week!

Comments

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks for the hard work
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Our async multiplayer provider "Playstogether" is running into some issues. We're currently working with them to resolve these problems. I'll have more information on this once I can sit down and talk with their tech leadership. I wish I could say more now. :)

More news next week!
    You don't really sound good on this one. Keeping fingers crossed.
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    @CodeWizard can you give us any information on the new sprite system and custom fonts please?
  • Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35
    Im proud, of the progress just hope it will be done soon I've been waiting months...
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    edited February 2014
    @CodeWizard can you give us any information on the new sprite system and custom fonts please?
    I'd assume these things would come with or after the new Creator is released, @CodeWizard?
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    I'd assume these things would come with or after the new Creator is released, @CodeWizard?
    Absolutely. The features that'll be rolling out right now would be the ones currently under test in the nightlies. I believe the focus is on taking out the bugs and providing us with a stable release.
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    Fantastic stuff ... Fingers crossed 0.11 will be out soon ... Can't wait ... ;-)
  • sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    @codewizard where are we with fixing the issues with Chartboost and Revmob?
  • codybeanscodybeans Member, PRO Posts: 74
    Super interested to see what changes come about for the whole android side of gs. Ads to android and whatnot. Keep up the great work
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    GameCenter multiplayer integration.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    Stuff I want to see in order of priority...

-Xcode Export

-Android Monetization

-Custom Frogs

Chakku :)

• sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    Can we not have custom birds instead of frogs?
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @Chakku

-Xcode Export

-Android Monetization

-Custom Frogs

• Mr. MartensMr. Martens Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2014
    Nice pie chart, but isn't pac-man supposed to have an eye? No? I stand corrected.

As a side note, did you know that the original Japanese version was released as "Puck Man"?

Can you guess why the Americans changed it.

Hint: Think teenagers at the Mall Arcade.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited February 2014
    Imagine this to the tune of the Batman theme music... "Da na na na na na na na Puck Man!"
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    @Chakku

-Xcode Export

-Android Monetization

-Custom Frogs

I see no Chakku in your chart, which was specifically asked for!

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240
    Well played GS

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    ok what started the "custom frogs" joke? custom loading icon?
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    edited February 2014
    This may not be popular, but I'm going to post it anyway. I know you guys are doing the best you can and all this takes time. I know there is lots to do, and limited resources. I also know there are lots of users of GS that are waiting patiently, and trying to create games that can generate revenue. Let's be realistic about the timeline. 20 bugs left, with more found all the time? We may be looking at another couple of months before a stable release happens (as a release that breaks stuff is risky business).

The lack of options for monetization in the Android market (ie. no ads since mobclick is finished, no in-app purchases), and no interstitial ads in iOS seems like a pretty big deal. I believe RevMob and Chartboost are very near completion right? Is that just not possible to release in .10.4.2? I realize that releases are time consuming, but unless the .11 release is like next week, an interim release with critical functionality seems like a good idea from here.

@CodeWizard?

• AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69
    This may not be popular, but I'm going to post it anyway. I know you guys are doing the best you can and all this takes time. I know there is lots to do, and limited resources. I also know there are lots of users of GS that are waiting patiently, and trying to create games that can generate revenue. Let's be realistic about the timeline. 20 bugs left, with more found all the time? We may be looking at another couple of months before a stable release happens (as a release that breaks stuff is risky business).

The lack of options for monetization in the Android market (ie. no ads since mobclick is finished, no in-app purchases), and no interstitial ads in iOS seems like a pretty big deal. I believe RevMob and Chartboost are very near completion right? Is that just not possible to release in .10.4.2? I realize that releases are time consuming, but unless the .11 release is like next week, an interim release with critical functionality seems like a good idea from here.

@CodeWizard?

We suggest them this solution a few month. But few month pass still not get a positive reply. GS is a good tools. I know them try their best. But best is not enough, they need try to become the best of the best ...
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @codewizard should I be worried and scrap my current multiplayer project with Playstogether?
    If you ask me, I smell the possibility of a merger :)]
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    With all due respect:

I am tired of waiting for the simplest things or the things that seem to just slip off the update list. Custom loading icon was huge about 6 months ago, and now it is not even on the list anymore... but hey we have custom "FROGS" coming soon to a GS near you, or wait will it just fall off the list in the next few months...

GS is a great tool to get an idea prototyped and the GS team is working very hard, but to get something up and running without a ton of backtracking, updating, and adding really great functions like Fonts, Facebook, or solid ads, you really need to look else where.

I have stuck it out for over two years now, an when @CodeWizard came on board I was so exited I paid for pro again. His updates were so long and detailed! Everything was moving along so well... Now the biggest thing from these updates over the last few months is a "bug Chart"...

And just remember I did say "With all due respect"!

Smiley face
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    20 bugs left, with more found all the time? We may be looking at another couple of months before a stable release happens (as a release that breaks stuff is risky business).
    It could be worse... http://drupalreleasedate.com/chart/samples
  • macthormanmacthorman Member, PRO Posts: 5
    I am happy you guys make progress, but I have to agree with some of the other guys in the forum. As long as some crucial functionality (e.g. monetization on Android) is missing, the added value of GameSalad is considerably low.

I don't want to play the blame game here but even in the cookbook you still mention that app monetization on Android is possible:
    "Android developers interested in monetizing their apps should refer to the article on Mobclix here! "

You never mention that Moblcix is bankrupt since a couple of months and one of the main reason for me to go Pro was app monetization on Android......

I still think that you developed one of the best tools for cross-platform development on mobile for people with limited programming skills. Nevertheless, as long as some very important functionality is missing, I am forced to switch to other alternatives.

So currently there's no way to place ads on android?
  • macthormanmacthorman Member, PRO Posts: 5
    So currently there's no way to place ads on android?
    Nope, the only possibility was Mobclix, but they shut down a couple of months ago:
    http://article.wn.com/view/2013/11/04/Mobclix_Ceases_All_Operations_Files_Voluntary_Chapter_7_Peti_p/

Unless you can sell your app on Android, there is no way to monetize it...
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    Hi,
    unfortunately for the games on Google Play i've lost my hopes to monetize them;
    at least they could try to introduce the official advertising on Amazon...
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    Hi,
    unfortunately for the games on Google Play i've lost my hopes to monetize them;
    at least they could try to introduce the official advertising on Amazon...
    I know, I just said all WBOKO GAMES ARE FREE!!!

No sense in trying to sell a game since most people just give them away and make cash from the ads... No love for us... L-)
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    edited February 2014
    Ah, thanks for the quick reply on the question. Hopefully that'll be addressed before I go pro