State of GameSalad on 2-19-2014

Comments

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Most of the questions people are asking have been answered at some point, are questions without answers yet, or are questions that have obvious answers.

Take responsibility on the fact that you chose to buy it knowing what it didn't have yet.
    Well put. Also add that ones opinion of what needs to be fixed or added or made a priority doesn't necessary mean it's every developers opinion. Doesn't mean we don't want them either or that they are not important but everyone have different needs and priorities for the software.

• mulyincmulyinc Member, PRO Posts: 102
    Most of the questions people are asking have been answered at some point, are questions without answers yet, or are questions that have obvious answers.

Take responsibility on the fact that you chose to buy it knowing what it didn't have yet.
    Well put. Also add that ones opinion of what needs to be fixed or added or made a priority doesn't necessary mean it's every developers opinion. Doesn't mean we don't want them either or that they are not important but everyone have different needs and priorities for the software.

Yes that is correct. But basics like monetization should be the basic level. If you offer a development tool and not just a play around hobby in the kitchen software. Thats out of question. And letting a hole platform like Android without any realistic earning option is something not very clever. Sure I know we could sell on the android store. But every one who knows the game knows that paying for games isn't very common, at least on Android.

And yes every one is on its own to choose the right development platform. But if you build a lot of Games with GS using our own stuff, the workflow etc. its not just a klick to switch over to something different without a huge effect into time and cost.

Also we are not asking for something unrealistic. We don`t ask for a new rocket. Just an reliable advertising provider. Like iAds for iPhone. Nothing more.
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited February 2014

Playing devil's advocate here, didn't GS previously have Android monetisation? i.e. Are there not a lot of people who bought Pro when monetisation was included, and that vital feature is no longer available?

As with the Tizen payments issue, though, the main problem here is that the GS team are ignoring a few questions a lot of the community are... passionate about getting answers to.
  • mactds10mactds10 Member Posts: 63
    Fingers crossed we can get 0.11 with Chartboost support in the next week. Unless, does anyone know if the problem has been fixed of submitting a game with the nightly builds. I heard they were being rejected?
  • rdlew2008rdlew2008 Member, PRO Posts: 85
    Playhaven supports android....but not through gs only for ios. I think we are all a little mislead for android if I would have read these forums I would have known before I payed for pro to publish on android but that was in November and now it's mid feb still nothing. They need to maybe take down the part that says pro monetization and android. I feel like I was tricked I had no clue this was a beta product. I saw hey pay 300 dollars and get all this stuff. I found out our android monetization company flopped we'll have a new one in a week then a month and then another month. I know people say this isn't a priority but I think if your using this in your incentive to go pro then you should hold up to it and you should make it a priority. That or quit misleading android developers and spell out that we only support monetization on ios.
    Playhaven supports android....but not through gs only for ios. I think we are all a little mislead for android if I would have read these forums I would have known before I payed for pro to publish on android but that was in November and now it's mid feb still nothing. They need to maybe take down the part that says pro monetization and android. I feel like I was tricked I had no clue this was a beta product. I saw hey pay 300 dollars and get all this stuff. I found out our android monetization company flopped we'll have a new one in a week then a month and then another month. I know people say this isn't a priority but I think if your using this in your incentive to go pro then you should hold up to it and you should make it a priority. That or quit misleading android developers and spell out that we only support monetization on ios.
    You are absolute right. No one complains after MobClix went out of service when it takes 1-2 weeks to implement a new service. But we are now by end of Februar and still no new provider is ready to use. Thats just a bad joke. And seems that GS is just over reading any complains. Thats how they deal. Sad but true. But luckily I see in this thread more and more pro user complaining. Maybe this helps. But I am not sure.
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    Let me be the first to say, if you are not as flexible a "Gumby" you are going to feel like a "Pokey" waiting for updates from the GS team...

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308
    800 million Android smartphones, 300 million iphone in active used by Dec. 2013. Get real! If you want to get into Asia Android Market, you better make free game + advertisement. Chartboost and Revmob are the first thing we need. Period!
  • AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69
    800 million Android smartphones, 300 million iphone in active used by Dec. 2013. Get real! If you want to get into Asia Android Market, you better make free game + advertisement. Chartboost and Revmob are the first thing we need. Period!
    yes, that's the main point !

WHAT HAPPEN TO #9 @CodeWizard????

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/57729/state-of-gamesalad-6-19-2013/p1
    Hello! It's that time again... time for another weekly state of GameSalad post.

Estimated Stable Build Schedule

We’re still holding off on releasing any new stable builds. More bug fixes and optimizations are in progress in the nightly builds. Head over to the “PRO - Working With GameSalad” forum for more info.

What’s New This Week?

1. We made our first sweet hire this week. We hired a skilled game engine programmer named Brian Hapgood. This dude has written all kinds of code over his 20 years in game development. He’s got lots of experience making and optimizing game engines. We’re super excited to have him on the team! Wish him luck as he dives into the code and gets his feet wet! :)

2. We’re continuing to look for some new hires to help cover some weaknesses in our current staffing. Will keep you abreast of the developments on this front.

3. We fixed some issues with the viewer in the nightly builds.

4. We also found and fixed some issues with publishing binaries with nightly builds. This caused our engine changes to actually not be properly available to you when creating adhoc / release builds. This should be all straightened out and available to you sometime tomorrow.

5. We’re doing another refactor of our Lua code to properly support async multiplayer. Progress is being made!

6. Some internal staffing changes have derailed the engineering team a bit as we shuffle to take on new responsibilities. Most notable of this is how we handle creating new builds of the creator and engine. Things are well in hand but this has delayed a few features we hoped to have ready this week.

7. We’ve adjusted some things about how we handle TGA files on the publishing server.

8. We’re getting ahead of the iOS 7 changes publicized by Apple last week. We’ve got things compiling and working for the most part already. Should be able to get the remaining niggly bits taken care of this next week. We’ll then turn our attention to integrating new features provided by this upgrade.

9. I hear that stretch mode and custom loading wheels might be started any day now.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Looking forward to custom fonts!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    I feel the pain of people waiting for Android monetisation options. Hopefully it will come soon…….

In the meantime if you are really desperate to put ads in there I found last night that RevMob does work (I see impression/clicks) with the nightly builds. Its buggy and slow though - it looks like everytime an advert is displayed the game resets. For me this may just about work since i can put after the game over scene.

Despite this, I agree with the numerous people above that misleading your customers regarding Android monetization:

"Through GameSalad's partnerships, Professional developers have access to innovative methods of monetizing their apps, allowing them to capitalize on the wave of Free-to-Play game popularity. GameSalad partner PlayHaven provides developers with a fast "check-box" way to introduce lucrative ads in your game, with no intrusion to gameplay."

No where in the above statement does it say "iOS only" which is the reality of the current situation.
  • Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2014
    I'm excited for 0.11.0 updates I know its frustrating, but hang in there!
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    edited February 2014
    @CodeWizard

On a future update you should consider integrating a system that calls all the ad networks you have added and serves ads based on those with a fill. It would be a pretty straight forward addition, maybe for 11.1. It not only improves everyone's fill rates and revenue (especially if we can adjust preferences to ad networks), but it is also something that would set GS apart from numerous programs like this that don't have that.

Just throwing it out there.
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    Patience is the watchword for GameSalad. I learnt that after a year and nothing has changed.
    I still have the 'patience'. I went through a period of frustration and I feel it welling every now and then when I read a particularly well written critical post. I agree with many of the points made. But I will resist the temptation to join in. It has got me nowhere.

3 deep breaths :)
  • LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240
    My body is ready for 0.11.0
    8BitMarvinGayeSexualHealing ?

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

• Team6LabsTeam6Labs Member Posts: 541
    Yeah I have been hearing the same BS about how we all have to be patient and wait for them to work out their issues. It's been like 3 years. Here me venting.. Be prepared.

Monetization

Android: Mobclix (Bankrupt)
    iOS:
    Kiip: Shut down
    PlayHaven - Reports that are 6 months delayed so GS can get a kickback from Playhaven... I want the management's salaries delayed by 6 months and them to not know how much they will be paid..
    iAd - Have you ever checked the fill rate? How many countries again?
    Mobclix (Bankrupt)
    In Dev. - Two interstitial ad networks. But they wouldn't of been needed if the stupid management hadn't been greedy pigs because we would have had an ad network that actually works!

- Native Engine. This one is favorite of mine. What the **** happened to this?! It worked soooo much better than what we have now.

New Platforms
    - Tizen. Are you kidding me? When there isn't even a proper iOS version that is bug-free.
    - Windows. Same as above.
    - HTML5. Same as above.

New Progress
    Basically all we have seen in a year is async. But really, if you want to get into servers and start making complicated games, you should definitely be using a more advanced engine.

If I were CEO. Raise price up to $499 for year of pro. Get rid of the PlayHaven contract so we can route the ads through their system. Stop support of HTML5, Windows, Tizen, and Mac. Focus on iOS & Android. Fix every bug before starting new features. Start delivering.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    native engine was scratched as it was going to break every existing project. that's what led them down the current path which from what I gather is a huge rewrite of major parts of the engine. that's going to introduce a ton of bugs (which is what they are working with now).

I firmly believe that once 11.0 is released, the releases will come much quicker. they just have a ton of backlog stuff to actually fix.

Things are going to get better, but they need to fix years of past mistakes first. Any coder can tell you, it only takes a few seconds to hack a workaround when under a crunch. when you go to actually fix that hack it can take days or weeks to touch everything that relied on that hack.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

If I were CEO. Raise price up to $499 for year of pro. Get rid of the PlayHaven contract so we can route the ads through their system. Stop support of HTML5, Windows, Tizen, and Mac. Focus on iOS & Android. Fix every bug before starting new features. Start delivering.
    Im pretty sure I'm not the only one who is glad you are not CEO.
    native engine was scratched as it was going to break every existing project. that's what led them down the current path which from what I gather is a huge rewrite of major parts of the engine. that's going to introduce a ton of bugs (which is what they are working with now).

I firmly believe that once 11.0 is released, the releases will come much quicker. they just have a ton of backlog stuff to actually fix.

Things are going to get better, but they need to fix years of past mistakes first. Any coder can tell you, it only takes a few seconds to hack a workaround when under a crunch. when you go to actually fix that hack it can take days or weeks to touch everything that relied on that hack.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^ Spot on @jonmulcahy
    Well in some parts he is absolute right. For sure running a company like GS isn't easy. But my biggest complain is that even after years they still suffer from the same issues. And this must be also a management issue. So let's see if we will see a GS statement, I am happy that many pro user start complaining and I hope it will wake up the right person.

Im pretty sure I'm not the only one who is glad you are not CEO.

^^^^^THIS^^^^ Spot on @jonmulcahy

Totally get the quote about the hacks, but how about telling people they are not supporting ads in Android before they spend $299 and provide some kind of realistic time frame to fix the issues for the ones that have already been drawn like a moth to a flame and feel a little burnt....

My main complaint is that some of us have paid for Pro because of the promises we were told was coming or being fixed like the quote from @CodeWizard update last year....."I hear that stretch mode and custom loading wheels might be started any day now".... This came out of a update back in 6-19-2013... Which custom loading wheels is even on the @#$% Road-map anymore!

Small thing, but when you trying to plan off updates like this one it is impossible!

We have been hearing 0.11.0 was coming since last year (7-31-2013) and it will fix everything, but still has bugs...

As for "HACKS" every developer that is using GS has been doing that for years... If you have built anything with GS, you should have PHD in working "HACKS" to get things working some what right...
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    edited February 2014
    I love GS,
    and i like how fast to make games with it;
    I invested in GS about 3 years of my works, and now I depend totally on him, but unfortunately too many things that don't work properly are making me to look around for another engine...
  • saif_shammarisaif_shammari Member Posts: 128
    @pinkio75
    I agree with you
    i am now learn coding
    i am not sure that i will renew my pro account :(
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    i say this because i'm not a coder, so i have a lot of trouble and frustration to move to other engines, for sure i continue to use GS for iOS/MAC and iAd/PlayHaven, but i'd like to find something solid for Android free games with advertising...
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited February 2014
    I love GS,
    I invested in GS about 3 years of my works, and now I depend totally on him, but unfortunately too many things that don't work properly are making me to look around for another engine...
    I hope that you do stay around @pinkio75 and that the situation with GS improves for you.
    I really hope thing swill get better after 0.11
  • ClockClock Member Posts: 308
    I love GS,
    Same thing, I spent 3 years with GS. I don't know if i can go any further with it. No advertisement revenue from android is a big cut from me.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited February 2014
    Facebook for both iOS and Android.

Android tweet sheet & google leaderboards.

Darren.

edited February 2014
    Facebook for both iOS and Android.

Android tweet sheet & google leaderboards.

Darren.

@DeepBlueApps, That would be like GS Heaven!!!!

Oh, and custom loading wheel!!!