State of GameSalad on 2-19-2014

Comments

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    Do what you can with that you got ... A lot of features are missing I agree so what can we do about it ??? Keep building games and build more games in the down time then when 0.11 is out publish all your games with the features you need ... Use the down time for good ... Learn something you didn't know, work on that thing you have not nutted out yet then once everything is ready publish your games ... NOT A LOT OF YOU WILL LIKE THIS but this is my two cents ... I'd rather wait a little and get a stable product rather than get a buggy product that will just frustrate me ... There are major changes happening to Creator cleaning up the code ... etc and that is a big job which takes time ... It would be great if all was completed yesterday but that is not the reality of development. ;-)
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    "Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks."
    Warren Buffett

:ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar!
  • WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    edited February 2014
    Do what you can with that you got ... A lot of features are missing I agree so what can we do about it ??? Keep building games and build more games in the down time then when 0.11 is out publish all your games with the features you need ... Use the down time for good ... Learn something you didn't know, work on that thing you have not nutted out yet then once everything is ready publish your games ... NOT A LOT OF YOU WILL LIKE THIS but this is my two cents ... I'd rather wait a little and get a stable product rather than get a buggy product that will just frustrate me ... There are major changes happening to Creator cleaning up the code ... etc and that is a big job which takes time ... It would be great if all was completed yesterday but that is not the reality of development. ;-)
    I respect how you feel, but the quote " I'd rather wait a little" seems a little off. A "little time" to me is no more then a few months, but waiting since the middle of last year is pushing the mark of "little time" for a paid product.

This is like paying for a sports car, and the dealer telling you it is still being designed and built at the factory, but here is a Pinto to get you by... Little buggy but it will get you where you need to go.... Oh, and we have no idea when your sports car will be ready... enjoy!

I am done with updating this string anymore....

Thank you for the update @CodeWizard, just keep rowing and we will get there someday!
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    @Wboko I totally agree with you. I have paid for pro too and can't publish my Android apps yet but what choice do we have ??? It is either wait or use a different tool. I found that GS is the fastest in building games. I stumbled on it by pure chance and I am glad I did ... I quit my day job am doing this full time now. I will see where it will take me ... Yes it is frustrating but I am sticking with GS as I have invested time and money on this. Later on when time permits I will learn Corona SDK too that way it will give me more options for development in the future ... I know this does not solve anything but it is all we can do ...
  • mulyincmulyinc Member, PRO Posts: 102
    I understand everyone's frustration on this stuff. Really. I'll do what I can to shed more light on what's causing delays here.

We still have some bugs to resolve before we can push out 0.11.0. And we're running into issues with how we manage engine binaries on our publishing server. This is causing nightly builds to stall again.

Here's a more precise list of the bugs we're squishing in 0.11.0 as of now:
    • WPUB-176 Nightly: 0.11.0 RC: Web Publishing site does not auto-update after adding RevMob/Chartboost App IDs
    • WPUB-176 RevMob: Chartboost: Android: Kindle: "Powered By GameSalad" or Custom Loading Screen appears before every ad that plays.
    • WPUB-176 Chartboost: Android: Kindle: Holding the device Portrait in a Landscape game while an ad loads causes game scene to distort
    • MAC-224 Nightly 231: Android Viewer: Viewer text becomes corrupted after backing out of a Landscape project preview in Android 4.4 and 4.3
    • MAC-224 0.11.0 RC: Nightly Build: Add Android SDK support for 4.3 and 4.4
    • MAC-224 Nightly Build: User receives error message when PlayHaven attempts to display
    • MAC-224 Nightly Build: Taking multiple screenshots will eventually crash Creator
    • MAC-224 Nightly Build: Seeing issues displaying images using alpha/transparency
    • MAC-224 Nightly Build: iOS 6 Universal Binary app always receives glossy icon
    • iAd: Nightly Build: Triggering iAd banner several times in a row causes app to crash
    • Mac Creator: Play Music dropdown not updating when a music file is added
    • 0.11.0-RC2: Creator: Save format needs to be updated for the release candidate
    • Audio: Crash when previewing a corrupted sound file in Creator
    • Screen shot taking does not work in dirty
    • MAC-224 Scene Editor Preview causes actors to disappear when you hit Play
    • No Ads: Can't generate App successfully, no ads error
    • iPad: Some images are ghosting after changing scene
    We're churning through these as fast as we can. We hope to have nightly builds unblocked again tomorrow so you can check up on our progress.

Have patience, please. Here's a recent video from the GameSalad offices:

Well thanks for the "update" I am sorry to say but I don`t feel at the mood for funny movies. I have to admit the statement from @CodeWizard is interesting but it does not say anything to us when advertising will be ready for Android. I am very sorry but since November you don`t get it done to integrate at least one advertising provider? I know it some times take some time but for real? You are still fighting with for me looks like real basic bugs?

The real problem I see is that, from what I know from past, on every major release there will be something broken or does not work. So we not even be happy and can say ok let them polish it for 2 more weeks and than have a working product. Maybe I am surprised this time, we will see.

But also I am bit angry how GS deal with professional user. I send a question about the payments for appbackr. Yes we got 3 invitation and was offered not a large but nice sum if we transfer. First of all I really like this. But now its going again the GS way. No communication. I send a long ticket and asking for confirmation of the approval and when the payment will be done. Every company on earth could tell you this. The Answer from GS? After 5 days? A link to the new post in the forum. Sorry but I am paying for your company. I don`t want to feel special but I don`t want to feel like I am begging for your money. No its our. Its the same with PlayHaven payments every month. The reports come late, are wrong, payments are send to the wrong paypal address... You are dealing with our money. I think this is what you have to understand. We trust in the reports. Even if we don`t can check them.

I have the complete understanding that GS is a very complex system but there are people who running a small business with your software, paying since years your company money. If its not enough money to provide a stable and good product? Increase the price, hire people. I am sure most professional user who earn money with there games are more than happy to invest money back into your company. But as you don`t let us earn money, at least make it hard on Android this will not work out.
  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    now the comment box is broken!
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    GS is like the ugly baby you gotta love with the hope that one day it may become a super model :x
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    Fix the bugs #1 then release a new stable build then start adding new stuff too the bug free night build and if new bugs are added/found fix and repeat.
    GS is like the ugly baby you gotta love with the hope that one day it may become a super model :x
    Already a bit to old for an baby? ;)
  • pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    Great news, there are lots of bugs, but I did not understand when we get the new working version? We Waiting for another 20 days Ugh ... :((
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @Braydon_SFX I am enjoying working with the new multiplayer. I think you and I are the only ones using it..lol
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    @Braydon_SFX I am enjoying working with the new multiplayer. I think you and I are the only ones using it..lol
    I would be playing around with it a lot more if I wasn't so nervous about the whole playstogether saga! To be honest I'm really nervous about adding any features that involve the use of outside companies, sadly GS doesn't really have a great track record with the use of other companies! I'm not trying to trash GS.. in fact I think GS is one of the best engines for any games company to use if they want fast production and quality games, I just wish they would choose better companies to do business with :)
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    For me, I have so many things to point out that GS hasn't done, and broken promises, and play haven, bit of scam that thing is :).
    But then I think, I haven't invested in GS, so I really don't expect them to do anything for me but keep their publishing servers online. So I really don't have a say because like many members who are on the forum, haven't put their money where their mouth is.

GS just released multiplayer,that's a huge thing, way too late, missed all the big hype, but it's huge. But who is using it? People ask for it, they actually got something, something I think shouldn't have been worked on, but who am I to say, but it seems like it's too hard to use, or too much money or time to learn, people would rather have someone else do. And that's what annoys me, because everything wants these cool new advance features, but to have them, they aren't going to be a simple drag and drop feature. Features are only going to get a bit more complicated to use, but that's what you have to do to use such a feature.

But seriously, have an official bug week, fix the simple, most annoying bugs that people have been talking about for years. At least get one or two done within that week it will help so much.
    Like It was many years ago, I will wait another two months. In that time I expect. A stable release, ad networks, and some major bug fixes. Otherwise all that talk about fixing up gamesalad engine was just talk. Or just make the stable release a Pro only features. Stable is the key word there.

On a side note, gamesalad is great, I can make prototypes really quickly, what I would love to do is finish them with gamesalad, and not have to re make it on a different engine. Got so many things to share but I just can't. That function input and tables, with some maths based knowledge, I took a course, you can do some really cool things.

Also, just while I am online, the forums are a becoming a mess. Some people can advertise templates, some people can't, we're not stupid. We know who and why they can do this. Some people are mods that shouldn't be because there attitude is disrespectful. Remember, ask, get the facts then jab them. Not the other way around. Being harassed when releasing a game is the worst feeling.

Other than that, keep up the great work GS team and forum mods.
    Hopefully within two months, I will be telling people to use gamesalad wherever I go.
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    Also, just while I am online, the forums are a becoming a mess. Some people can advertise templates, some people can't, we're not stupid.
    This kind of thing has confused me a bit too. Some people seem able to advertise paid services with complete impunity and others are told not to. I get that it might be a case of "Well this guy is established, trusted and has a proven track record" and "We don't know this guy, might be con". But if that's so, clear guidelines on how to move from one category to another are important.

I don't actually have any problem with the moderation staff, and very rarely see the problems you mention regarding disrespectfulness, but the forum rules and policies are very... nebulous.
    edited February 2014
    Yes this is a strange thing, because in past i tried to advertise some of my works and that was not possible..."the rules are equal for all"
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    You are still fighting with for me looks like real basic bugs?
    Woah Nelly! :-O For real?!
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246
    Haha I'm just waiting to see what becomes if the whole PlayTogether situation before I jump in!
  • ClockClock Member Posts: 308
    Biggest complain here is no advertisement for android. All android GS free games are either on hold or putting on the android store for "free". No source of income. No wonder people are losing their patient.

@Jeromy I agreed with you on this. Playheaven is sorta like a scam…or maybe a ripoff.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @Clock

You are right. Them taking this long to release Ads after their failed Mobclix experiment is costing me more than just holding off Android releases. Free games I have that are popular and have been on the market haven't generated a payable income in over 4 months with Mobclix bankrupt and an additional 8 months having never received my payments from Mobclix. (Yes I hold GS accountable for the Mobclix fiasco as it was a poor choice on the part of the GS staff at the time with their lack of due diligence, research, and inability to listen to the community.)

On top of that I have numerous games done that can't be released until the ad network is available due to the strategic release of the game on all markets on the same day. Same with numerous updates I have done. It even caused me to delay the release of an updated app not built with GS because of the need to release all the updates at the same time for strategic marketing of a campaign. Aside from the obvious lack of receiving ad revenue I'm also getting diminished sales because I have to delay the updates. Updates that create spikes in sales. Their poor choices are costing me money in numerous areas.

My patience is wearing thin GS. I appreciate the partial updates on bug counts, but the choice to do an entire 4 month engine overhaul and withholding the ad networks rather than releasing it through a simple patch update months back is costing me big time. Your inability to communicate timelines accurately and lack of releasing the desperately needed ad networks have cost me more than 10 grand and that is not an exaggeration.

Don't act like releasing a small patch with the ads would have been difficult. You have done quite a few with the current version ie 10.4.1d. If you have a plethora of bugs on the engine overhaul side, how about you take a little time to focus up on the ad network bugs, fix them, and release a 10.4.1e. That way we have a solid functioning ad network while we wait for the next year for you to finish with 11.0.
  • sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    I am in a similar situation to @clock. I have three working games and cannot release until the ads are sorted.

@codewizard what exactly is stopping you from patching the current version so that ads are working?
    edited February 2014
    I think that they are working hard to fix all the bugs for Android adv, maybe we still have to wait another one month...

Anyway i'm looking around for another engine, i've found one very valid with Android Adv, and every day i study how to make simple games with it;

Unfortunately, who use GS used to have a few important updates with many bugs, honestly i'm resigned to their rigid policy about Android Adv, protest is useless.
    edited February 2014
    @Clock
    Don't act like releasing a small patch with the ads would have been difficult. You have done quite a few with the current version ie 10.4.1d. If you have a plethora of bugs on the engine overhaul side, how about you take a little time to focus up on the ad network bugs, fix them, and release a 10.4.1e. That way we have a solid functioning ad network while we wait for the next year for you to finish with 11.0.
    Well Said!!!

They have so many things going on. Multiplayer, Loading Wheel, Tizen… I appreciate if they take the whole team just focus on the advertisement part. After that they can spend their time to do whatever they want.

I am also losing money on android side. :(
    Dear CodeWizard:
    I know you joined the GS team last year. I like you and you are a cool guy. Thanks for the Youtube Video. But I got something better for ya!

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    edited February 2014
    Not sure who all I speak for with this, but when I paid for GS again it was on the understanding that I would be able to use certain features that had been promised... I am half way through another $299 and still cannot do what I paid for. You should not be able to charge people if you cannot deliver on the goods...

You bought pro for the features it has not what they are working on. Besides the ad options for Android going down (and they are working on a solution for that) you are getting what you paid for.

This is like paying for a sports car, and the dealer telling you it is still being designed and built at the factory, but here is a Pinto to get you by... Little buggy but it will get you where you need to go.... Oh, and we have no idea when your sports car will be ready... enjoy!
    Thats actually exactly what you are doing when buying pro. you are buying an unfinished product. You get to use whats here and available right now and then you get access to the new additions as they get them done. no timeline no promised features.

And yes again i understand there are features that have quit working for one reason or another but also keep in mind they are working on fixing them.
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    Well after reading the latest nightly I withdraw any previous comments. Custom loading wheel, ads and many fixes. Well done Gamesalad team.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    The crow has been served in the dinning hall. Hurry there is a long line.
    The current nightly build shows only how much more work needs to be done before we can speak from a working system. And wow custom loading wheels! Sorry but every developer knows that this can't be a large change as it's just a picture! But let's hope they will fix the major bugs soon!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    The current nightly build shows only how much more work needs to be done before we can speak from a working system. And wow custom loading wheels! Sorry but every developer knows that this can't be a large change as it's just a picture! But let's hope they will fix the major bugs soon!
    Woah, wait. Didn't you see all of the bugs they fixed in the latest build? My goodness, it was a lot. Granted it's not perfect, but you cannot say they're not making progress.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    Obviously none of you has heard the phrase..... Bit off more than he could chew..?

GS bit off more features than they could chew. But instead of slowing down. They took another bite. Got feeling we will see an entire alphabet of revisions before 0.110 comes out. Patience people Patience....oh and your subscription is up for renewal BTW.

I have no comment. But i got a video to show!