State of GameSalad on 3-13-2014

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

Sorry for the long delay in posting this update, folks. I was busy participating in the SXSW Music Hackathon Championship (http://sxsw.com/music/hackathon). That kept me up coding for about 19 hours yesterday. Crazy, but fun! If you get the chance to do one of these I'd highly suggest it!

Now, let's see the quality of post I can muster with these few hours of rest... First order of business is reviewing the status of 0.11.0. Let's look at the graph:

We're currently at 16 bugs to resolve in our latest release candidate. 7 of those are considered blockers. The total number of bugs closed out since our last report is 9. Some of the more tricky issues being resolved are occasional issues with physics, and some crashes. We're sorting though these issues and will be pushing out another release candidate for your pleasure soon.

Beyond this work we're also making progress on a new cross platform creator, sprite tiling work, and more. This past week we began planning for our next release. We're biting off a much smaller change set for the coming release so we can pinch it off faster and get the improvements in your hands sooner. I'll summarize this plan for you once I'm crystal clear on it but I've heard that we may well be tackling Facebook integration, Google IAP, and several more bugfixes in the coming releases.

Again, the goal is to move to a shorter release cycle where we focus on a handful of bugfixes and 1/2 features. Let's crank up the factory!

More news on all of this soon. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

SUPER JOB GS TEAM....That was worth the wait!

• himobileappdevhimobileappdev Member, PRO Posts: 1

Let me be the first to say this.. At first I was kind of disappointed becoming a pro member, than realizing that their was no working monetization program for android. But after seeing all of the hard work you folks have been doing to make this platform the best it can be, I am truly humbled by the work you do, and feel that the price I paid for Pro was well worth it. Using your platform I was able to produce a game in little under 2 days, and launch and have just reached nearly 300 downloads in 3 weeks, with little to no promotion. Once again, thank you for all your hard work and I look forward to 0.11.0. Keep up the good work!

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2014

Good stuff. Can't wait for the next release candidate!

Edit: Also, that Hackathon sounds like a whole lot of fun. Wish I was a code wizard though ;).

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Sweet ... Thanks for the update. I hope you win the first prize in the Hackathon .... ;-)

• JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300

Nice work guys. @CodeWizard by any chance will we see a fix for the GameCircle bug on non-kindle Androids, as well as an updated GameCircle API?

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

@JDuaneJ said:
    Nice work guys. CodeWizard by any chance will we see a fix for the GameCircle bug on non-kindle Androids, as well as an updated GameCircle API?

Yes Please :'(

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2014

Fantastic! I hope you can keep up the momentum over the next weeks.

@CodeWizard One thing that bugs me and wasn't mentioned in your post is the broken alpha (pure-alpha) in GameSalad. I haven't read any documentation anywhere about this problem which cofuses me because it is extremly obstructive to my work. Or is there a way to have funtioning alpha in GameSalad right now that i don't know of?

What I'm talking about: actors with (pure-alpha)-images can't have an alpha value of 1 because then the transparency inside the image will turn white while normal actors (without (pure-alpha) in their name) turn dark when their alpha value is below 1.

The alpha value is essential to making games. You need to be able to interpolate the alpha value of all sorts of actors (like buttons, text, particles) and right now this always looks bad in GameSalad.

Cheers!

• FatFishFatFish South East, UKMember Posts: 120

"Facebook integration, Google IAP"

Liking the sound of those two!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited March 2014

Very nice. Thanks for the update GS team!

@CodeWizard‌ said: Facebook integration and Google IAP

Oh snap. Where's my oxygen mask? Okay people, you know the drill.

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Very nice. Thanks for the update GS team!

Oh snap. Where's my oxygen mask? Okay people, you know the drill.

Put a paper bag over your head and breath deep. Remember PAPER, not plastic bag.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Any updates on the status of the white alpha issue?

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@JDuaneJ said:
    Nice work guys. CodeWizard by any chance will we see a fix for the GameCircle bug on non-kindle Androids, as well as an updated GameCircle API?

yes

• fishbowl1fishbowl1 Member Posts: 54

Any word on when the next nightly is coming?

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@fishbowl1 said:
    Any word on when the next nightly is coming?

Probably after the official 0.11.0 release. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we get another release candidate before then. :)

• mactds10mactds10 Member Posts: 63

Thanks for the update.

I know the bugs can be tricky, but any idea on when a more stable version will be released? I have an update ready for an app, but want to know if I should wait for more stabke Chartboost support before submitting. The problem is that you have to wait 7 days for Apple approval, so everything just keeps getting pushed back. Also, want to release an Android version, and have two new games pending. All reliant on iOS, and iAd at the moment with no potential for a cross promo.

You gave us word on the next update, but what about this one? Would like quicker feedback than once a week to know how close we are.

• justinodunnjustinodunn Member, PRO Posts: 226

Facebook! :D very nice :smile:

• Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35

@CodeWizard Any news on windows creator?!

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

What be this Facebook Intergration you speak of? And what does it do. And yes you might as well tell us all about the restrictions on what we cant do. Because you know we have plans for stuff like this and have high hopes. So we knowwwww there are restrictions to what we can and cant do with it. you know kinda like the loading wheel and our high hopes and the big tease about getting custom loading wheels. But all the things we thought we were going to be able to do with that. To find out we really didnt get much. So what are we not getting that we are probably thinking we are getting with "Facebook Intergration.

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Im glad we're making progress, so that i can test my game in the viewer again.

• psavipsavi Member, PRO Posts: 23
    edited March 2014

Please put a 8-bit style font in the next version!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@psavi said:
    Please put a 8-bit stile font in the next version!

we don't need that, we need full custom fonts!

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

@psavi I think their time would be better spent building a font import system of some sort. Then you don't have to request any... just add them.

• psavipsavi Member, PRO Posts: 23

@FallacyStudios said:
    psavi I think their time would be better spent building a font import system of some sort. Then you don't have to request any... just add them.

I agree!!!

• luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

Hi,

What about the fix for the Android issue regarding not designed for Tablets? Any word on this? God Bless....

Sincerely,

Sunday

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    edited March 2014

@CodeWizard @stevej‌

Any chance the animation and interpolate alpha issues will be fixed?

Oh, and any idea when it might be released? The next RC that is. Estimation

• drakee510drakee510 Member Posts: 49

"Worth the Weight"

-Gabe Newell

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

I hate to be the one to point out the elephant in the room that no one wants to discuss... but I see new features being mentioned again and we are still waiting for a stable build to ad simple features that have been worked on for months and still are not...

• AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69

@Wboko said:
    I hate to be the one to point out the elephant in the room that no one wants to discuss... but I see new features being mentioned again and we are still waiting for a stable build to ad simple features that have been worked on for months and still are not...

bug > fixing > new feature > bug > fixing > new feature > bug, loop & loop