State of GameSalad on 3-13-2014

Comments

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368

Patiently waiting on a stable 0.11 release. Thank you to everyone who have found & submitted bugs, and thank you to GameSalad for fixing & working on them. New features are great but I just want a stable release of 0.11.0 first.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

@AlvinF said:
    bug > fixing > new feature > bug > fixing > new feature > bug, loop & loop

It is more like.... Bug>fix>Bug>fix.... People complain.... New Feature MENTIONED>BUGS>BUGS>BUGS... APPLE REJECTS BUILD...

I could keep going but I think after a few more months you might get it there @Alvin...

Oh, I always have my @#$% oxygen mask on for the people that think that silly @$$ joke is still funny....

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited March 2014

All new features end up in the nightly and not in the stable build. He posted where there at with the bug fixes and they are almost done fixing known bugs. Any new features in the future will be first in the nightly. But let's also mention the voices clambering for Facebook have been just as loud as those of us asking to just fix the bugs. We as a community have to come together on priorities and we are not. Everyone wants something and it's lately been requests for tons of different things. Point in fact, no sooner does codewizard talk about bugs someone starts asking for new fonts. This happens every time.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

Great work GS team!

so…how long do i have to wait?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited March 2014

@Wboko said:
    I hate to be the one to point out the elephant in the room that no one wants to discuss... but I see new features being mentioned again and we are still waiting for a stable build to ad simple features that have been worked on for months and still are not...

Agreed, it's disheartening to see bugs like the broken link between the prototype and instance appear in the RC, as well as much much older bugs like the image asset import / deletion bug, the buggy colour wheel, the glitchy interpolation behaviour - and so on - none of them are showstoppers but you'd still think sorting them out would take precedence over new features.

But I'll have to admit to knowing nothing about programming an SDK, so maybe these kinds of fixes are very difficult, whereas it might be relatively simple to add in some new text behaviour controls, who knows (not me) ?

I think a list of known bugs would help users know what they might expect in upcoming releases, somewhere that people can see which bugs GameSalad are aware of, as it stands right now I have no clue - for example - whether GameSalad are aware that the link between prototype actors and on-scene instances is buggy. Talk of 'public facing bug lists' is all very well, but the ontological argument comes to mind here, an actual bug list of any kind would be better than year after year of 'yep, we'll definitely do one of those', just a thread where people can post found bugs, and GS can acknowledge them would be better than nothing.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards.

@8BitAvrin said:
    New features are great but I just want a stable release of 0.11.0 first.

Both would be great, but yes, a solid, reliable, bug-free and stable Creator would be my preference too.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited March 2014

@FryingBaconStudios said:
    All new features end up in the nightly and not in the stable build. He posted where there at with the bug fixes and they are almost done fixing known bugs. Any new features in the future will be first in the nightly. But let's also mention the voices clambering for Facebook have been just as loud as those of us asking to just fix the bugs. We as a community have to come together on priorities and we are not. Everyone wants something and it's lately been requests for tons of different things. Point in fact, no sooner does codewizard talk about bugs someone starts asking for new fonts. This happens every time.

It's almost like this is a community of individuals - each of whom have different wants, desires and needs.

What I want is for the bug that makes the +- buttons vanish off to the right out of reach to be squished. I submitted this bug way back in 2013, but I have no idea if they are aware it's still in the RC so don't know if I should submit another bug report or not...

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@Armelline said:
    What I want is for the bug that makes the +- buttons vanish off to the right out of reach to be squished. I submitted this bug way back in 2013, but I have no idea if they are aware it's still in the RC so don't know if I should submit another bug report or not...

Yes, it's a bit annoying and should be fixed for sure. The workaround however is simple (as you probably know already) - just press the back button to jump out of the actor into the main gui and then the forward button to jump into the actor again.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@Socks @‌CodeWizard

I agree with Socks. The bug where you edit a locked actor and the change does not always register is incredibly frustrating!

One workaround is to create one spawn actor that spawn every other actor into the scene to avoid this bug, but it makes certain types of games almost impossible to create.

Is this one of the bugs the GS team is still trying to fix CodeWizard?

• liuxzliuxz Member, PRO Posts: 51

admob.
    why not include?
    iads not cover some counties.like china.....

• liuxzliuxz Member, PRO Posts: 51

And ios universal still can't Stretch.Also just Letterbox .

@JSproject said:
    Yes, it's a bit annoying and should be fixed for sure. The workaround however is simple (as you probably know already) - just press the back button to jump out of the actor into the main gui and then the forward button to jump into the actor again.

This doesn't always work. I was working on putting a quick example together last night in response to a thread question and had this bug crop up. Back/forward didn't clear it. Closing/opening the app didn't clear it. If I re-made the rule, the same thing would happen. In the end I just gave up and went to bed, leaving the question unanswered.

edited March 2014

@Armelline said:
    . . . . submitted this bug way back in 2013, but I have no idea if they are aware it's still in the RC so don't know if I should submit another bug report or not...

Yep, without public acknowledgement of bugs you have no real way of knowing whether GS are even aware of an issue - you can of course submit bug reports, but as you point out this doesn't necessarily mean the bug will be addressed, so it's not unreasonable to wonder whether GS are even aware of the issue, you say 'back in 2013' as if it's a long time :wink: - there are bugs that were reported back in 2011, 2012 that not only are still in the software but it's still impossible to even know whether GS are aware of them, you could of course ask a direct question, but it took 2 years to get GS to even acknowledge that the animation behaviour frame rates were are screwed up.

GameSalad seems to be software that exists in permanent beta (nothing wrong with that), Creator itself is beta, the RC is just that, a candidate for people to experiment with, look for bugs, the nightly builds are a similar proposition, a way for users to beta test new features and improved performance . . . . we are all to some extent beta testers, and you'd think that in this scenario a common/shared list of bugs would be an essential part of the dialogue, a list that you could visit now and again to check out whether anyone else has spotted the XX bug, whether GS have acknowledged it yet, whether it is going to be addressed and so on. You'd also get a measure of which bugs users feel are a priority, a mention of bug AA with 42 'likes' and a mention of bug BB with 3 'likes' would be an indication that bug AA is the one more people are struggling with . . . and so on.

This could all be done with an officially sanctioned (and edited) thread, no need to wait for month and years for time to be made to code a database, a simple thread that people can post in would effectively crowd source the job.

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be...

John Wooden

edited March 2014

@Socks said:
    This could all be done with an officially sanctioned (and edited) thread, no need to wait for month and years for time to be made to code a database, a simple thread that people can post in would effectively crowd source the job.

Yes, here lies the problem. GameSalad are so reticent to engage with the community about certain things that I can only help but feel they're inside the ship, madly plugging holes and ignoring the cries of those stood on the dock getting soaked by the water pouring out, praying to all the gods they can find that nobody discovers the ship doesn't even have a bottom and is only being kept afloat by their mad paddling.

I love GameSalad. And I have nothing but respect for the team. But this is another sign that a dedicated community manager is sorely needed.

Edit: Fun fact - I accidentally misspelled ship to have a t on the end twice as I wrote that post (Freudian slip perhaps) and the first instance got ****'d and the second was left in all it's vulgar glory.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@Wboko said:
    John Wooden

Thanks for posting! You always make me laugh!

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

I see GS team consist of mostly DEVs which is good. Seems like they're all over the place and may need to hire a PM/Producer to get things better executed and organize.

@phamtastic said:
    I see GS team consist of mostly DEVs which is good. Seems like they're all over the place and may need to hire a PM/Producer to get things better executed and organize.

More Logic is just crazy!!!

LOL

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Armelline said:
    It's almost like this is a community of individuals - each of whom have different wants, desires and needs.

That's my point we blame GS but their just trying to juggle all their customers needs. But this will be my last comments on this as talking about this is like hearding cats. No rhyme nor reason to it all.

• codybeanscodybeans Member, PRO Posts: 74

As a Tennessee catfarmer, I can see your point. But the idea of a dedicated bug forum sounds like a awesome idea. Suggestion forum potential post? I think so!

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

In my opinion, new features should not be any kind of focus or be receiving any work. If they want to meet up and discuss what next that is fine, but taking anyone off stabilizing RC 11.0 is counter productive. Even if you have to assign 1 bug per person until that person fixes it completely. It just doesn't make any sense to pull anyone off the RC to work on features for the next release when this release is so buggy. Don't put the cart in front of the horse.

We are on 5 months with no solid stable release. The current RC is hardly any better than the nightlies. Let's keep the priorities in order.

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited March 2014

@Armelline said:

I submitted that as a bug again last week... (or at least I think I did.. if I did'nt I mentioned it in the 0.11.01 RC thread as they said they'd watch that for any bugs as well.

... as for the rest of the current discussion I would like my moon shaped cake on a stick and I want to eat it... Stable build for all, plus a new feature every now and then in the nightly...

I really want facebook integation and push notifications for my own game, custom fonts, a working multiplayer demo example or tutorial (to get more of us working with it as well), a dark interface on the creator so I look cool to onlookers, perfectly working ads to keep the masses happy, and a hundred other tweaks to the creator to improve productivity (multi-select, lock layers, folders etc etc).

I think its fine to still request and discuss the features we'd each like to see added (or fixed) even if we know their are other things that are perhaps more pressing.

GameSalad HQ as always have to decide what they think they should deliver first as that's the only option they have.

We all shout for the feature or fix that serves us the most.. we just have to trust in the GS team to work on the feature that best serves the masses...(and hopefully me) at the same time.

I'd imagine to keep morale of a programmer up they enjoy working on adding new functionality along side a very long round of bug fixes. I know I enjoy making new game mechanics over fixing old game bugs. That's where a bigger team helps and their team seems to be growing with new staff getting up to speed.

I like others hope they're concentrating on getting a stable build out so the team can then all concentrate on keeping it bug free and creating all sorts of awesome!

edited March 2014

@StormyStudio said:
    i want my moon shaped cake on a stick

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150382168903987

I suspect (affectionately) that this video also sums up the history of the development of GameSalad.

• Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014

I want to thank Gamesalad... Since I havent been able to monetize my Android games due, to being a Windows user I have started to learn how to code. When life gives you lemons make lemonade!!! Everything aside thanks GS.
    Edit:Lemons*

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks said:

I agree that stable builds should have the highest priority... but, in the meantime, and forever after, a thread like Socks suggestion would help so many of us stay away from bug problems and deliver builds that work 100% of the time using the most current version of Creator available.

@Armelline said:
    Yes, here lies the problem. GameSalad are so reticent to engage with the community about certain things that I can only help but feel they're inside the ship, madly plugging holes and ignoring the cries of those stood on the dock getting soaked by the water pouring out, praying to all the gods they can find that nobody discovers the ship doesn't even have a bottom and is only being kept afloat by their mad paddling.

I like the 'mad paddling' part, 'paddling' would have done, but the addition of 'mad' made the sentence . . . but I am bitterly disappointed with your use of 'bottom' (hull) and 'dock', report to me at the end of Nautical Terms class.

@Armelline said:
    I love GameSalad. And I have nothing but respect for the team. But this is another sign >that a dedicated community manager is sorely needed.

Yeah, I'm sure GS realise that the loudest complaints come from those most invested in GameSalad (and also why the 'stop complaining' / 'stop asking for stuff' / 'if you don't like it here **** off somewhere else' brigade are - in my opinion at least - misguided) - I love GameSalad too, I really do, I think they have something incredible, I'd love to have half the talent of the coding team, but yes they sorely need to connect with their user base in a more meaningful way.

@Socks said:
    but I am bitterly disappointed with your use of 'bottom' (hull) and 'dock', report to me at the end of Nautical Terms class.

I've read every Patrick O'Brian at least twice and every Hornblower at least once, you'd think I'd have learned these things by now...

@Armelline said:
    I've read every Patrick O'Brian at least twice and every Hornblower at least once, you'd think I'd have learned these things by now...

It makes your crimes all the worse.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

@Socks said:
    Yeah, I'm sure GS realise that the loudest complaints come from those most invested in GameSalad

loudest constructive criticisms perhaps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If builders built buildings the way the GS team wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along wound destroy civilization.

quote by Gerald Weinberg with a Wboko twist!