State of GameSalad on 3-13-2014

124»

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@Wboko said:
    Just waiting till my GS Pro runs out and I will be gone!

Just out of interest, how long have you got left?

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2014

I'm a firm believer of not adding fuel to the fire, and I also usually don't get involved in most of these arguments but I've been reading most of these post lately and it really annoys to heck out of me! When I first joined GS the lack of updates and features was the thing everyone complained about, since @CodeWizard has joined the team the features progress has been incredible I mean come on guys SendTable to network and ReceiveTable have been a crazy feature that only a handful of people are taking advantage of! Also remember how bad to communication was from the main GS staff, and look at it now, weekly updates from one of the top guys, I can't tell you how happy I am about that, even though some weeks can be a bit of a let down, but still these guys are doing an incredible job recoding the mess that was dropped on their laps! I got so frustrated when I first joined, so much so that I tried every other game engine available, trust me when I say this, you might have bugs with GS but you won't find any other engine out there that's as fast from paper to complete game, it's crazy how fast and easy it is for development, and for that reason alone I will never abandon the ship and I can guarantee no matter how many bugs the engine will have I'll always support the guys by paying my annual pro subscription, and I'll always try and help locate bugs and help in anyway I can!

Rant over, sorry I just think we need to give the staff a break for a month or two to get the ship back on track, all this complaining is putting unneeded pressure on staff, they're doing their best guys :smile:

Jason.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Wow is like a bunch of manifesto's being written in this thread. It is so much more amusing to sit back and watch.

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

@FryingBaconStudios
    Ha ha... that's exactly how I used feel watching your comments :smile:

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I kind of wish this talk would go away because in about 4 weeks time it will all start all over again.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited March 2014

Yes i decided resistance is futile. Things will be what they are and people will be who they are. I just focus on my games and videos. Hey maybe now i'll become popular now that I'm declawed...lmao

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339

@FryingBaconStudios said:
    Yes i decided resistance is futile. Things will be what they are and people will be who they are. I just focus on my games and videos. Hey maybe now i'll become popular now that I'm declawed...lmao

Well someone had to fill your shoes! :D but yeah I'm done preaching civility. Let the chaos begin!

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

Is there any documentation listing exactly what fix etc is in which current release?

Stable Release/ Nightly Builds / Release Candidates/ Hot Fixes ??? - it's all such a confusing and frustrating mess right now without any proper documentation.

I need to update an Amazon app to fix the Kindle HDX sound issues. Will the current Stable Release fix it? - god knows.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@DigiChain said:
    Is there any documentation listing exactly what fix etc is in which current release?

Stable Release/ Nightly Builds / Release Candidates/ Hot Fixes ??? - it's all such a confusing and frustrating mess right now without any proper documentation.

I need to update an Amazon app to fix the Kindle HDX sound issues. Will the current Stable Release fix it? - god knows.

Paul:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releaseNotes/creator/nightly

Don't see anything specifically in there regarding the Kindle Fire HDX but I believe that doc is dynamically generated and updated as part of the build process. Not sure why it isn't linked anywhere, but I'll find a place.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37

@SingleSparq said:
    And thats all I'll say about that.

You're attempting to get anonymous people on the Internet to remain civil and calm. You may have to do a little more than writing essays. I personally try not to rant, but I'm also not going to pretend that I know what it's like to be @Hymloe. I have run into issues with some programs that were maddening, and he's probably experiencing worse.

But, I'm going to try your approach - @Hymloe, you need to calm down and scream into a pillow before commenting. You might break Gamesalad.

Now, let's wait a week... if he's still being hot tempered, do we tell him again? If you think gamesalad is doing a good job, you can openly tell them here. But, it seems unfair to tell him that he's not commenting right. Who knows, if everyone on here seems chill, the gamesalad employees may exit emergency mode - though they should be in it. @Hymloe may actually be helping your cause. Either way, I doubt your etiquette instructions are going to change his comments.

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339

@Daveinpublic said:
    Now, let's wait a week... if he's still being hot tempered, do we tell him again? If you think gamesalad is doing a good job, you can openly tell them here. But, it seems unfair to tell him that he's not commenting right. Who knows, if everyone on here seems chill, the gamesalad employees may exit emergency mode - though they should be in it. Hymloe may actually be helping your cause. Either way, I doubt your etiquette instructions are going to change his

Didn't say he's not commenting right, just that it may not be accomplishing much in its method. And it's not all directed at him. Just an observation.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

@SingleSparq said:
    Didn't say he's not commenting right, just that it may not be accomplishing much in its method. And it's not all directed at him. Just an observation.

<--------------

• Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35

On an other note... Excited for a GS update today! Or tomorrow!

• WooWahWooWah Member, PRO Posts: 4

Looking good!

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2014

@Wboko said:
    Just waiting till my GS Pro runs out and I will be gone!

More salad for me. :p

(@Wboko the rest is not directed at your quote)

In all seriousness: Venting is fine. Just construct a helpful atmosphere. Don't let venting turn to vitriol like an angry customer who just embarrasses themselves and gets in the way for everyone else. Everyone knows they can't be pleased. If you're expecting perfection every time, don't ever expect satisfaction.

Once vented, don't vent the same thing one million times on all the threads. Especially if you're an ass hole about it. Don't tell others to be quiet or to shut up all while you espouse your right to speak.

Buying something doesn't give you a right to vent, you already had that right. It certainly doesn't give you the right to be an ass hole, you certainly already had that right as well, and were probably practicing it on a regular basis if you're doing it here. However, having a right ≠ being right in doing it.

Realize that things may not go your way for periods of time. The next step, realize that things may not go your way for extended periods of time. Appreciate what you have in terms of opportunity, assume responsibility, and while things are being completely overhauled and destabilized, realize you may need to be more flexible and/or creative. Remember that things which may not look like it needs fixing may make a whole lot of sense if you were the one under the hood overhauling it.

Keep in mind those who play devil's advocate aren't blind followers of a Kool-Aide drinking apologetic cult. They're just attempting reasonable civil conversation.

Should perfection be a goal? Sure! Shoot for the stars right? Just realize that you WILL fail many times on your way there... for your whole life.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

I'm going to try to make my latest post tonight but it may slip until tomorrow. Keep your eyes peeled!

• parky190parky190 Member, PRO Posts: 23
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@CodeWizard said:
    I'm going to try to make my latest post tonight but it may slip until tomorrow. Keep your eyes peeled!

my eyes hurt!

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@jonmulcahy said:
    my eyes hurt!

And they look really weird and gross now too....

puts some shades on you

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197

My salad feels

• Ij10281Ij10281 Member Posts: 35

Anyways... Thanks GS for all the progress Im sure its been difficult, but I never doubted you!