experiment

14567810»

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Socks said:

@RThurman said:
    Looks fantastic. Really awesome as always!

@tatiang said:
    Awesome!

@firemaplegames said:
    Wow.

Thanks ! :)

yea that really is awesome

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

Wow,WOW,Wow! My kids looked over my shoulder to see what I was watching and freaked out! They want to know where they can get it and when! Good going @Socks

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

Wonderful, @Socks, brilliant as always! :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

really really really great! @Socks

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Hopscotch said:
    . . . what impact great sound has in enhancing the experience . . .

Cheers for the comment, agreed sound makes an enormous difference, for example in this project switching the sound off makes the game feel slower, not in any kind of figurative way, it actually looks and feels as if you are moving more slowly !

There are a ton of audio tricks you can do to enhance the feel of a game . . . having an small impact sound before an impact - milliseconds before - tightens up the feel of the impact, having a large explosion sound slightly delayed - a frame or two after the visual explosion - gives the explosion some 'weight' . . . and so on.

For this project I placed an iPad as far away as I could, placed a lump of plasticine on the screen, a 20cm stick into the plasticine (perpendicular to the screen), and another lump of plasticine on the end of the stick, set up a camera/telephoto lens and tripod and zoomed in on the lump of plasticine on the end of the stick, then tuned the explosions (actual tuning + EQ) so as to produce the maximum physical movement of the iPad, so you can really feel the hits, the one where the player hits a wall works really well, you actually feel it hit through the iPad !

@Approw said:
    WHuuuuuuut @Socks !? That looks insanely brilliant! And congrats on progressing on an actual game, its not easy to get this far, especially with your project.

Cheers Approw ! :) Lots of work still to be done.

@Armelline said:
    @Socks at work.

This is more like it:

@floatingwoo said:
    Wow,WOW,Wow! My kids looked over my shoulder to see what I was watching and freaked out! They want to know where they can get it and when! Good going @Socks

Cheers woo!

@jamie_c said:
    @Socks, great stuff, very impressive in many ways!

@onelasttime said:
    really really really great! @Socks

@gyroscope said:
    Wonderful, @Socks, brilliant as always! :smile:

Cheers for the comments, it's encouraging to get positive feedback !

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Very cool! Just Wow! Looks fantastic! I love the 3D effects ... Looking forward to seeing how this progresses ... :wink:

@neoman said:
    Very cool! Just Wow! Looks fantastic! I love the 3D effects ... Looking forward to seeing how this progresses ... :wink:

Cheers neoman !

@jonmulcahy said:
    yea that really is awesome

Thanks Jon ! :)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Socks said:
    Here's an update on one of the isometric experiments from earlier on in this thread, it's very slowly turning into an actual game !

QuickTime movie here for anyone interested: https://www.mediafire.com/?2gw9c4je74lcdjy

Do you know how much money you'd make if you sold this on the Marketplace with in-game explanations? You'd finally be able to pay for that new Mercedes-Benz. :P

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Do you know how much money you'd make if you sold this on the Marketplace with in-game explanations?

I don't, can you give me a ball-park figure to the nearest $1m

@Braydon_SFX said:
    You'd finally be able to pay for that new Mercedes-Benz. :P

I'd be happy covering the cost of GS + a new pair of shoes at the moment.

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033

This whole thread made my brain hurt.
    Some awesome looking stuff here.

Arrived here somehow whilst searching for translating 3d points in space to 2d points on a display :)

All I wanted was a rubbish wireframe cube...and I get here to find 3d snakes shooting in an isometric world with lighting.

pfffft....Am off to bed!

;)

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236

That latest video is BEYOND incredible. My god. That's some great sound design too. How are you making the sounds happen just before they impact something? The magnitude function? So like if something is within a certain distance of the player, play the sound?

@Sparkyidr said:
    This whole thread made my brain hurt.
    Some awesome looking stuff here.

Cheers Sparkyidr !

@Sparkyidr said:
    All I wanted was a rubbish wireframe cube...

If you want an isometric wireframe cube (rotating or static) that's pretty easy to make it up from 12 (edge) lines, the maths is fairly straightforward (there's a guide on page 4 / second post), a cube with perspective (rotating or static) is a little more involved, but still quite straightforward.

@owen_dennis said:
    That latest video is BEYOND incredible. My god. That's some great sound design too. How are you making the sounds happen just before they impact something? The magnitude function? So like if something is within a certain distance of the player, play the sound?

Cheers Owen, for the sound to explosion sync offset as a compromise I am simply delaying the explosion by a frame or two.

• frdfrd Member Posts: 191

Oh boy, that's beautiful.

@frd said:
    Oh boy, that's beautiful.

Cheers frd ! :)

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Very nice. The camera movements are exceptional (for a GameSalad project).

@Two.E said:
    Very nice. The camera movements are exceptional (for a GameSalad project).

Cheers Two.E. :)

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

Holy crap... just caught up with this thread and just watched the latest work in progress.

Was just about to post saying how freaking crazy good the camera effects and movement are in the demo... but someone beat me to it :)

The whole demo is just full of little effects and polish that make it look and sound superb... Ive been watching the video frame by frame to watch all the details, and to see how they're being done. I'd be interested to see the video posted on a non GS forum such as TouchArcade to see what reactions it got, as it looks like its been built in a 3D engine, and looks amazing.

Just love everything about it...

@Chunkypixels said:
    The whole demo is just full of little effects and polish that make it look and sound superb...

Cheers Chunkypixels !

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033

Yeah. I originally saw that last video without the context of this thread, and had just assumed it was a unity (or such) wip.
    It really is rather excellent looking.

@Sparkyidr said:
    Yeah. I originally saw that last video without the context of this thread, and had just assumed it was a unity (or such) wip.
    It really is rather excellent looking.

Cheers Sparkyidr, that's cool of you to say, it's encouraging to get positive feedback, I can see why people make 'progress' threads and how the encouragement pushes you along on project you can grow despondent with ! I might start an actual proper 'progress thread' ! :smile: