experiment

Comments

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

Just when through this thread... great stuff! Love the 3D effect - looks very cool. Nice job @Socks!

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
    edited November 2014
  • sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

@Socks said:

WOW! You turn 2D into 3D! What is this sorcery!?!?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Cheers!

@sebmat86 said:
    WOW! You turn 2D into 3D! What is this sorcery!?!?

Mostly the the constrain behaviour, but with a little basic witchcraft.

edited November 2014

Here's a very very (very!) rough little test of an idea, I don't think I'll do anything with it, but it's a kind of paining-in-the-air thing . . . I'm sure you could do a neat version with nice lines, I only threw this together quickly, but I can imagine all sorts of weird games you might be able to do with it . . .

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Socks said:
    Here's a very very (very!) rough little test of an idea, I don't think I'll do anything with it, but it's a kind of paining-in-the-air thing . . . I'm sure you could do a neat version with nice lines, I only threw this together quickly, but I can imagine all sorts of weird games you might be able to do with it . . .

that's awesome!

@Armelline said:
    Invalid or deleted file :(

Hmmmm . . . . I'll check it out . . .

@jonmulcahy said:
    that's awesome!

Cheers Jon ! :smile:

@Armelline said:

Try this . .

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ua8b85c8b4sl7w5/A.zip

Let me know if it works.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@Socks said:
    Let me know if it works.

That worked!

You are annoyingly clever sometimes!

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

What?!?! How?!?!? Why have I not been following this thread??? Absolutely unreal stuff! Was about to fire up GS but after looking at this thread, it would appear I am not worthy :disappointed:

2 files in particular I would love to check out .. the dial and the swimming join/follow thing!

Lastly .. Make a game will you!!!

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

All this is blowing my @Socks off! Insane mate, well played.

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

edited November 2014

@beefy_clyro said:
    What?!?! How?!?!? Why have I not been following this thread??? Absolutely unreal stuff! Was about to fire up GS but after looking at this thread, it would appear I am not worthy :disappointed:

I think exactly the same thing when I see people, like yourself, get actual viable, playable, working games completed and out there !! . . . while I'm just stuck in my laboratory fiddling around trying to find new ways to make an actor move with a slightly weird motion.

@beefy_clyro said:
    2 files in particular I would love to check out .. the dial and the swimming join/follow thing!

Yeah, like I said to Braydon, when the new Marketplace is up and running I will finish and upload a bunch of these ideas, and I will use the money either for a Pro licence or for evil.

@beefy_clyro said:
    Lastly .. Make a game will you!!!

Working on it !! But when you take 3 weeks making antialiasing decisions and then a month to choose a font (which you later reject because the 'a' and the capital 'M' are too 'BroStep') then these things tend to take time. :)

edited November 2014

@Armelline said:
    You are annoyingly clever sometimes!

That's what my parole officer said as I took him hostage for the fourth time using nothing more that a hypnotist's watch, a false moustache and 30lbs of high explosive strapped to my legs.

I made the knob indented, so it rolls back (or forward) to the nearest whole facet when you release it, kind works.

I was also thinking that as the tone/colour of the panels on the dial was controlled by a simple constrain behaviour, constrained to the sine of an angle, then you could offset that angle with another value - in effect changing where the light falls onto the dial, so adding 90° to the angle will mean the light is coming from above, whereas -90° means the light is coming from below . . . etc . . . you can also change the contrast of the light by simply altering the shape and size of the sine wave (clipping it or moving it or down) . . . if you were to have a fairly low contrast dial in a colour, then on top a higher contrast one (in white) using a clipped sine wave you'd end up with a specular highlight, it should work, might give it a try . . . .

edited November 2014

Just did a very quick test, the specular highlight idea works just fine, I'm sure you can refine it, but it's quite straightforward to do . . . you have a lot of control just using simple maths, you can change the falloff (the size of the specular highlight), the angle it hits the object, the intensity and so on . . .

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

Advertising work in progress templates are not allowed. .... enforced by no one ever.

Some impressive work :)

edited November 2014

@Tiny_Ideas said:
    Advertising work in progress templates are not allowed. .... enforced by no one ever.

Ha ! Good point ! :) I didn't mean to advertise . . .

Coming To the Marketplace Soon . . .</font color>

MEGA-TEMPLATES !!</font color>

:trollface: Things that turn in circles !

:trollface: Things that turn in slightly different circles !

:trollface: Things that bounce off other things !

:trollface: Bendy stuff !

:trollface: Stuff that bends and turns in circles !

:trollface: Mega-Super-Circles-Pack™ includes both Things that turn in circles AND Things that turn in slightly different circles !!!!

Some impressive work :)

Cheers, everything here (including everyone's posts) will all be available on the Marketplace soon for one amazing mega-super-price. :p

[/Spam]

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Socks said:
    circles

circles

bendy

circles

circles

@Socks, is this all not just a juvenile reaction to not having snap to grid?

;)

@Hopscotch said:
    is this all not just a juvenile reaction to not having snap to grid?

Yep :p

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SOON ALL SOCK'S SECRETS WILL BE MINE!

(For a low, low price of $49.95)

All kidding aside, I'm really looking forward to the day @Socks throws some of this stuff on the marketplace and I really can get a peek at his secrets!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Geez I see some of the stuff you guys do in this thread and I get humbled really quick. I cant even grasp that stuff. Ill just stick with if true...rotate left or right. Lol

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Thanks for sharing Socks :D

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Socks said:

Bet your bottom that i will be the first to report you if this goes on the marketplace! Im like those fat mall cops. :p

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy said:
    Bet your bottom that i will be the first to report you if this goes on the marketplace! Im like those fat mall cops. :p

I will pay you off, $4 to keep quiet.

@Armelline said:
    MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SOON ALL SOCK'S SECRETS WILL BE MINE!

(For a low, low price of $49.95)

All kidding aside, I'm really looking forward to the day Socks throws some of this stuff on the marketplace and I really can get a peek at his secrets!

There are no secrets, just AAA*sin(angle)+offset ! :smile:

@Thunder_Child said:
    Geez I see some of the stuff you guys do in this thread and I get humbled really quick. I cant even grasp that stuff. Ill just stick with if true...rotate left or right. Lol

Just learn what sin and cos do (in fact you needn't bother will cos, as it's just sin really but offset) and a whole world of fun opens up to you.

edited December 2014

Here's an 8 bit volume controller I did for fun, the same code as the dial I was playing with, but done in that chunky, blocky 8bit style . . . basically it's just a bunch of blank actors moving in a circle, but it kinda' works for a dial control.

The rainbow colours screwed up a little (the alpha channel was set wrong) but I couldn't be bothered to fix it when I noticed on the video, but those colours give it a real old school 8 bit feel . . .

edited December 2014

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989

@Socks said:

You sir are a witch doctor... an evil witch doctor obviously harnessing dark magic... now where did I put that green cube shaped voodoo doll...