experiment

Comments

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

Thats really impressive! 3D version of snake? Now just add something so your tail can become longer and done! :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited September 2014

@timolapre1998 said:
    Thats really impressive! 3D version of snake? Now just add something so your tail can become longer and done! :)

I tried it with a tail that grew and grew, but passed 5 or 6 segments it just becomes too cumbersome to outrun the bad guys, and too difficult to manoeuvre in and out of tunnels (like the simple example tunnel in the video).

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

3d snakes in GameSalad. Jeej!!

edited September 2014

Here are some (very quick and crude!) joint experiments, they'd need a lot of fine tuning, but I think the basic idea works . . . . the first example is an object being dropped with it's connected parts being pulled down with it, the second example is main actor being held and dragged around (which is a little bit stiff at the moment).

Another quick and crude experiment, the idea here is to quickly generate city environments that you can move around and interact with, I was playing with generating a city centre with a few blocks, but it was very very repetitive to generate each building, so I decided to take a different route, to set it up so that you only need to drag out a plan and all the hard work is done for you behind the scenes, at this stage it's very crude, just four lines for the corners of the building and a X image for the roof, which doesn't even change size for each building (that's me being lazy) and the heights are just randomly generated, but the final thing can have nice shaded buildings (with shadows) that are lit from a light source like the flat building in the middle - and you can even drive a little car around the place and it will interact (collide) with the buildings.

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    edited September 2014

@Socks What the f man?! These are ridiculous! Why are these NOT games yet?!?!

Yeah, these are so cool it's making me angry with awe!

edit: word (thanks @Braydon_SFX‌ )

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@DeadlySeriousMedia said:
    Socks What the f man?! These are ridiculous! Why are these NOT games yet?!?!

I think thats what you meant. ;)

• Supersonic9120Supersonic9120 Member, PRO Posts: 174

Wow that is incredible

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@Socks

Your brain. Give it to me now.

@Armelline said:
    Socks

You have just won the internets.

• sawkasteesawkastee Member Posts: 184

@Socks I gotta ask this....

Your experiments and demos are awesome but I've never seen you post about any of your published apps. I'm sure they'd be incredibly awesome too, what apps have you created/published?

edited September 2014

@sawkastee said:
    Socks I gotta ask this....

Your experiments and demos are awesome but I've never seen you post about any of your published apps. I'm sure they'd be incredibly awesome too, what apps have you created/published?

I only really use GameSalad for animation/motion graphics, fake phone / tablet interfaces for commercials and TV, all those over-the-top 'apps' you see people using in TV ads for people like Guinness and Lufthansa (the German airline), that kind of thing, they can't use real apps for various legal reasons, and the interfaces need to be very specific.

I also do one off apps for various events, a recent a Royal Society of Medicine lecture on flu, a couple for large (isn) book launches, and so on, that kind of stuff.

I do intend to release an app one day ! And I've got close on more than one occasion, but I've normally decided my app wasn't really good enough.

Witness everyone's favourite SDK GameSalad in action ! :smile:

@DeadlySeriousMedia said:
    Socks What the f man?! These are ridiculous! Why are these NOT games yet?!?!

Yeah, these are so cool it's making me angry with awe!

Lol, angry with awe, sounds like difficult emotion to process. :p I think I'll have a go at developing one of these ideas, although I've got a few more experiments to do first !

@Armelline said:
    Socks

I'll let you have the bit that stores memories of past terrors, and maybe the bit that stores telephone numbers of people I don't like.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Witness everyone's favourite SDK GameSalad in action !

What a cool use of Gamesalad, I love seeing peoples 'alternate' uses like that.

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

@Socks Rocks !!! You are not talented my friend you are gifted. That is another level of amazing the GS SDK is 2D and doesn't support videos and you took it to the next level. No one should ever blame a tool as at the end of the day it is what YOU do with it ...

@neoman said:
    Socks Rocks !!! You are not talented my friend you are gifted. That is another level of amazing the GS SDK is 2D and doesn't support videos and you took it to the next level. No one should ever blame a tool as at the end of the day it is what YOU do with it ...

Cheers @neoman ! Yep, there's a ton of stuff you can do with GameSalad if you dig in there.

edited November 2014

Here's quick experiment I was doing with a control dial, with this test I am using it to focus blurry images, but that's just to demonstrate the dial working, it's actually going to be used for more everyday stuff like setting volume.

What's nice is that it is all self contained, it's basically 10 panels 'rotating', but to place it into the scene all you need to do is drag a box to where you want a dial, this box sets it all up for you, spawns all the parts and so on.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

Absolutely love the dial! But if I'm totally honest, I'm actually far more interested in how you're blurring the images :D

Awesome work as always, @Socks!

edited November 2014

@Armelline said:
    Absolutely love the dial! But if I'm totally honest, I'm actually far more interested in how you're blurring the images :D

Nothing exciting, just moving some images around, here I stripped my lovely dial out (to prevent you from creating DialMaster™ the ultimate dial app)

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?egvvwd6lm4x5937

edited November 2014

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Awesome work as always, Socks!

Cheers Braydon, I was thinking of getting a bunch of these together than throwing them onto the Marketplace as basic game making / UI tools . . . . ? Just waiting for the Marketplace to stop being unusually ugly and hard to use :smile:

@Socks said:
    Cheers Braydon, I was thinking of getting a bunch of these together than throwing them onto the Marketplace as basic game making / UI tools . . . . ? Just waiting for the Marketplace to stop being unusually ugly and hard to use :smile:

Heck yeah - go for it! I'd definitely support you with that.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Heck yeah - go for it! I'd definitely support you with that.

If I sell enough I can buy a Pro licence, and will finally be rid of the shame of being just a regular 'free' user. :)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Socks said:
    If I sell enough I can buy a Pro licence, and will finally be rid of the shame of being just a regular 'free' user. :)

Throw something together and submit it to the game jam. Would love to see what you'd come up with, I'm sure others would as well.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Armelline said:
    @Braydon_SFX

I thought, if you reduced the radius (the value of sin/cos) on one of the panels it would be effectively set back behind the other panels (as it has a smaller radius), so you can get some subtle 3D type parallaxing type effects by just moving elements backwards onto this smaller radius, I've thrown a kind of old school numeral LED display in there so you can see what I mean.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Nice! And the blur effect is very cool too!

@Lovejoy said:
    Throw something together and submit it to the game jam. Would love to see what you'd come up with, I'm sure others would as well.

Cheers, I'd love to but I think the deadline has passed (November 24, 2014) !

@RThurman said:
    Nice! And the blur effect is very cool too!

Cheers !