Comments

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@BBEnk Very cool!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@jamie_c said:
    BBEnk, awesome! So how long until I can play this again? :)

It might be possible..I'll play around some more. I was actual thinking of the game below when I was making it, I think it would be easier.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@BBEnk said:
    Socks
    I watched and read your threads on Cos/Sin and I've learned a lot and now I made a Star Destroyer,lol not at your Skill level, but took me all day I think.

Looks great !! I like the little blobs at the end of each line, makes it look like it's on an old vector graphics display !! :)

edited November 2015

Here's a quick test comparing a fixed image as a texture [rock A] with an animated texture that tracks the lighting on the rock surface [rock B].

You need to stick the video on 720 or 1080p otherwise its pretty crunchy !

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Up next, @Socks will be showcasing a fully functional Gamesalad Creator built in Gamesalad? So we can all build a game within a game.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy said:
    Up next, @Socks will be showcasing a fully functional Gamesalad Creator built in Gamesalad? So we can all build a game within a game.

Nice idea, consider it stolen ! :tongue:

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Socks said:
    Here's a quick test comparing a fixed image as a texture [rock A] with an animated texture that tracks the lighting on the rock surface [rock B].

Very nice! I suppose you are constraining the image to the angle (of rotation)?

You could take that even a step further by adding a light source (also movable) and check for the angle of the vector between the rock and the light!

@pHghost said:
    I suppose you are constraining the image to the angle (of rotation)?

Yes, exactly.

@pHghost said:
    You could take that even a step further by adding a light source (also movable) and check for the angle of the vector between the rock and the light!

Yes, I've done a few of those already, there were a couple of tests on the forums a while back (but I can't remember the name of them) but basically like you say you use V2A to find out where the light is and use the appropriate image - which allows the actor move and the light to move - the thing is if you wanted a dynamic image (like in the example above) it's not straightforward to then have a dynamic light too, it's possible but not as straightforward as either a dynamic light or dynamic image on its own.

@pHghost said:

Here's a fixed light source (the red 'lava' floor).

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956

@Socks said:

@pHghost said:

Here's a fixed light source (the red 'lava' floor).

Amazing!

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284

Wow, that looks fantastic! :open_mouth:
    How many pictures do you use for the rock in the 'Rock Specular/Physics' video? It looks super smooth.

@Hoodloc said:
    Wow, that looks fantastic! :open_mouth:
    How many pictures do you use for the rock in the 'Rock Specular/Physics' video? It looks super smooth.

I used 360 images, but to be honest that was just me being lazy - so I didn't have to do any calculations and could just constrain self image to "rock_"..rotation, you can get away with a lot less (especially with fast moving/spinning objects), but GS has never had any issues dealing with image sequences like this, after all it only has to display 1 image at a time.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Looks pretty darn good @Socks !
    How did you get the red reflection on the bottom of the rock? Is it another rock (with pre rendered red reflection) on top of the main rock that is changing it's alpha when it gets closer to the bottom of the screen?

@Approw said:
    Looks pretty darn good @Socks !
    How did you get the red reflection on the bottom of the rock? Is it another rock (with pre rendered red reflection) on top of the main rock that is changing it's alpha when it gets closer to the bottom of the screen?

Yes, exactly, the top (red glow) image sequence's alpha channel is constrained to the rock's Y position.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797
    edited November 2015

What kind of mathematic trickery is this?! It's amazing!

@jdlcrater said:
    What kind of mathematic trickery is this?! It's amazing!

It's really simple, I'm just constraining an image to an object's angle, about the most complex maths is constrain self image to the rotation of the rock !

edited November 2015

@Socks said:
    I used 360 images, but to be honest that was just me being lazy - so I didn't have to do any calculations and could just constrain self image to "rock_"..rotation, you can get away with a lot less (especially with fast moving/spinning objects), but GS has never had any issues dealing with image sequences like this, after all it only has to display 1 image at a time.

Oh wow, that explains why it looks so insanely smooth. GameSalad really does handle image sequences nicely - I'd just fear the loading times with so many images (of course depending on the proportions). But like you said one surely could get away with a LOT of images less and it would still look fantastic.

(At my workplace we work on actual 3d games but somehow seeing this in GameSalad is highly fascinating. By now I must have watched that rock get thrown far more than 100 times, can't take my eyes off of it! :D)

edited November 2015

@Hoodloc I'd just fear the loading times with so many images (of course depending on the proportions)

No need to fear. He is constraining the images with math, this way gamesalad doesn't preload the images, it's a very efficient way to display/animate images.

@Approw said:

@Hoodloc I'd just fear the loading times with so many images (of course depending on the proportions)

No need to fear. He is constraining the images with math, this way gamesalad doesn't preload the images, it's a very efficient way to display/animate images.

Oh right, didn't think that through. :blush:

@Hoodloc said:
    Oh wow, that explains why it looks so insanely smooth. GameSalad really does handle image sequences nicely - I'd just fear the loading times with so many images (of course depending on the proportions).

All the images only come to 4MB, a single 2048 x 1536 pixel image (depending on how noisy it is) can be as much as 9.5MB, but like you say it all depends on the size of the images.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797
    edited November 2015

@Socks said:
    It's really simple, I'm just constraining an image to an object's angle, about the most complex maths is constrain self image to the rotation of the rock !

So you just used a: constrain attribute: self.Image :to: self.rotation? That is how I would guess it works.

@BBEnk said:

@jamie_c said:
    BBEnk, awesome! So how long until I can play this again? :)

It might be possible..I'll play around some more. I was actual thinking of the game below when I was making it, I think it would be easier.

Did you make this with GS?

edited November 2015

@jdlcrater said:
    So you just used a: constrain attribute: self.Image :to: self.rotation? That is how I would guess it works.

Well, that's one way of doing it.

Doing that way would mean that when you are preparing the rock images (let's say in a 3D app) you would leave the rock where it is and rotate the lights around it in a 360° arc.

I did it the lazy way (it was just a quick experiment) - I made a rock model, threw some lights around it - and rotated the rock - rendering off a full 360° rotation - I then constrained these images to the rotation of the actual rock actor (with the rock collision shape).

Something else worth pointing out . . . Objects with symmetry less than 360° would require fewer images.

edited January 2016

Here's an update on one of the isometric experiments from earlier on in this thread, it's very slowly turning into an actual game !

QuickTime movie here for anyone interested: https://www.mediafire.com/?2gw9c4je74lcdjy

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Looks fantastic. Really awesome as always!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Awesome!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211

Wow.

@RThurman said:
    Looks fantastic. Really awesome as always!

@tatiang said:
    Awesome!

@firemaplegames said:
    Wow.

Thanks ! :)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Socks, you show-off!

You show off what GS is capable of, you show off what impact great sound has in enhancing the experience, you show off what you can come up with if you experiment and iterate.

Good job!

WHuuuuuuut @Socks !? That looks insanely brilliant! And congrats on progressing on an actual game, its not easy to get this far, especially with your project.