FREE MONTHS OF PRO · CASH PRIZES · GAMESALAD 2014 GAME JAM!

Comments

• sniffy176sniffy176 Member, PRO Posts: 48

@RossmanBrothersGames‌

OK, now I see it being played I think I get it, is the ball actually moving? I think the problem is because there's no movement in the background and the ball doesnt change position on the Y axis, you can't really get a sense of whats happening.

It just looks like the bat is moving up and down every time it hits the ball.

I can now see whats supposed to be happening, the ball is climbing upwards hitting a series of bats? I think maybe something in the background would help?

• CatGoneCrazyCatGoneCrazy Member, PRO Posts: 90

Mine doesn't seem to appear in the arcade either, but here it is. Was submitted a couple of days before deadline.

It's called 'Over The Garage' and is the true story of when my sister and I were young and full of imagination. We found a feather and thought we could use it to make a hang glider and fly over the garage. The memory came to mind when the theme was announced so here's the game, made from scratch for the game jam :)

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/125655

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@CatGoneCrazy said:
    Mine doesn't seem to appear in the arcade either, but here it is. Was submitted a couple of days before deadline.

It's called 'Over The Garage' and is the true story of when my sister and I were young and full of imagination. We found a feather and thought we could use it to make a hang glider and fly over the garage. The memory came to mind when the theme was announced so here's the game, made from scratch for the game jam :)

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/125655

Love story behind it, that wonderful logic of children. And I had some weird satisfaction making you face-plant into the garage door over and over, even though I don't know you.

edited November 2014

Scrolling through the games that have been submitted, I can't help but wonder what's so special about Seasprint that so many people have submitted it:

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/?c=latest&page=12

(Page liable to change as more are submitted though.) Perhaps the admins want to check the validity of all those accounts submitting the same game :D

Edit: I've just spent some time scrolling through the submissions. Two things strike me - one is how few theme relevant games there are (and I'm guilty of that too - was only going to submit the one until it was confirmed that every entry was a sweepstakes entry). I've seen maybe a dozen theme relevant games across the first 30 pages (out of over 600 games).

Secondly, how many people are trying to play the system. And I don't mean submitting all their potentially eligible games, I mean submitting the same game multiple times, or the same game with multiple accounts, or submitting the bundled GS templates and things like that. I really hope GS are going to be firm about what they consider a valid entry.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Armelline‌ - I imagine Sea Sprint was submitted so many times because of the GameSalad curriculum. Many high school students use the curriculum and I'm sure they wanted to take part in the jam. Or at least, that's what I hope their doing and it's not somebody submitting the same game on multiple accounts.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Armelline‌ - I imagine Sea Sprint was submitted so many times because of the GameSalad curriculum. Many high school students use the curriculum and I'm sure they wanted to take part in the jam. Or at least, that's what I hope their doing and it's not somebody submitting the same game on multiple accounts.

Ah, that makes sense then! I withdraw any complaint if that's the case :D Perfectly fair that they each get their shot at the prizes if each is actually a different person :D

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Armelline said:
    Ah, that makes sense then! I withdraw any complaint if that's the case :D Perfectly fair that they each get their shot at the prizes if each is actually a different person :D

So its ok for say 20 people to submit the same game? How is it that fair to everyone else? What about the people who actually took this jam seriously and created their own game?

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• mastermindsmasterminds Member, PRO Posts: 44

@raycur09 said:
    So its ok for say 20 people to submit the same game? How is it that fair to everyone else? What about the people who actually took this jam seriously and created their own game?

it is so unfair! I can also submit 100 games on the arcade but only added my best 1 game on arcade!
    People are only submitting for the free 1 month pro! Gamesalad must do something about this they are spamming!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited November 2014

i submitted a single game that I built special for this jam that had something to do with the theme. what a concept ;)

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/125886

my high score is 2

@jonmulcahy said:
    i submitted a single game that I built special for this jam that had something to do with the theme. what a concept ;)

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/125886

my high score is 2

Holy smokes, what have you created! Put some graphics into that bad boy and release it in the App Store.

@raycur09 said:
    Holy smokes, what have you created! Put some graphics into that bad boy and release it in the App Store.

way ahead of you. :)

@jonmulcahy said:
    way ahead of you. :)

Im using tape to mark the spots on my screen. If i end up messing up my screen ill make sure to send you my info so you can buy me a new one! :p

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

I'm wagering the bulk of the spammed games will fail the "works on touch device" criteria and be deemed ineligible.

• jesster2k10jesster2k10 Member Posts: 44

I'm still wondering if it's over?

@raycur09 said:

It isn't against the rules, so I can't argue against it.

I made one game that fitted the theme, but once it was clear that each game was an entry in the sweepstakes and a free month of Pro, would have been madness not to get some submissions in. Next Jam I'll just be making one game that fits the theme, like Cloud Co. this time :D

Really can't blame people for trying their luck, but some have tried it more outrageously than others :D

@jesster2k10 said:
    I'm still wondering if it's over?

Round 1 is over. Round 2's theme will be announced on the 10th and run to the 24th.

@Armelline said:
    Really can't blame people for trying their luck, but some have tried it more outrageously than others :D

The rules weren't well thought out to begin with, at least next jam will be more clear and fair.

Btw i did not enter the jam, these types of promotions don't entice me. Im just looking out for others who actually put the work in.

• SpinzSpinz NorwayMember, PRO Posts: 42

http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/125651 Ballquest pro works fine on mac/windows originaly iphone/android game but i think its better on a mac or pc

• jesster2k10jesster2k10 Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2014

@Moik said:
    Round 1 is over. Round 2's theme will be announced on the 10th and run to the 24th.

Okay so it's another theme okay so I'll stop working on Soar The Skies :smiley:

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Dang it! @jonmulcahy‌ I can't even get 1!

@gamestudent said:
    Dang it! jonmulcahy‌ I can't even get 1!

yea it's hard. I have some additional tweaks I've implemented since submitting. After the gamejam I'll update the arcade.

Things I've added:
    1. Made the jump line 30% longer
    2. Display the past 5 jump lines to help you target better
    3. increased the jump speed so you don't spend so much time waiting to fail :)

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Guys, Sea Sprint is used by our educational curriculum package, so what you're likely seeing there is students who are publishing their finished projects for school. We don't (yet) have private Arcades set up, so everyone who is using Arcade publishing is going into the same pool, so to speak. :)

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• Cartoon Design OnlineCartoon Design Online Member, PRO Posts: 6

Good luck everyone! Really fun jam!

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Ok some of the games are not the best but if kids and students are learning and getting interested in gamesalad I say let them enter........

• ILikeTrains2413ILikeTrains2413 Member Posts: 6

I was just wondering....
    When is the second Game Jam topic?

Thanks!

@ILikeTrains2413 said:
    I was just wondering....
    When is the second Game Jam topic?

Thanks!

@dgackey said:
    -- When will the second jam begin?

DM: We'll announce the theme on Monday the 10th and start taking entries then. The end date will be Tuesday the 24th at 11:59PM EST.**

• ILikeTrains2413ILikeTrains2413 Member Posts: 6

Cool. Thanks!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited November 2014

@Armelline said:
    I made one game that fitted the theme, but once it was clear that each game was an entry in the sweepstakes and a free month of Pro, would have been madness not to get some submissions in. Next Jam I'll just be making one game that fits the theme, like Cloud Co. this time :D

Same with me. I submitted an older game of mine, Wobbly Rocket, because it fitted the theme outright and made Pigeon Post specifically for the Jam.

Like you, once it was clear that each game was an entry in the sweepstakes and a free month of Pro, yesterday night I converted a couple other older games of mine as well. Use the possibility when it is there, even just the extra months of Pro will be handy.

This is why I didn't like the way the Jam was set up, because as you write, it would be madness not to get some submissions in and while that in itself is OK, the problem is once it upsets the contest's balance.

• AppTacoAppTaco Member Posts: 125

Just curious. Does anyone know when the winners are going to be announced for the first jam?

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2014

@raycur09 said:

If you liked it, you should play Gunpoint http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/