Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Thank You. Hopes for GRAPHENE are stronger than ever before.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2015

@FINNBOGG said:
    OK.. on a serious note.

What about Joints and Polygon collisions (More than just square and circle hit boundaries)? Will graphene "LUA" approach this in a solid way. And NO do not mention any working workarounds. Workarounds do not fall with in the boundaries of this conversation.

A GameSalad staff member has previously posted on the forums saying that joints and custom collision shapes will be supported in Graphene. Exactly how they will work is something they didn't reveal, but they did confirm that both of these features will be included. Not via workarounds, but full support.

As far as I know, pixel collisions will not be supported, so you'll still be using shapes, not relying on the transparent parts of an image.

Edit: Pah, @BBEnk posted the link before I posted my reply! Really should refresh the page before posting :D

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162

It's amusing that there's a ton of commentary about LUA, Swift, and the various C derivative languages and if / how Graphene will support them along with whether folks should start learning the coding languages now in hopes of being properly prepared.

I think one of the biggest benefits to GS is the fact that it's relatively simple to use and frankly anyone with a solid internet connection and access to YouTube can pretty much pick up the basics of the GS engine in a matter of hours / days. All things considered, that's HUGE - engines like Unity, Unreal, CryEngine, etc. all require TREMENDOUS amounts of learning just to be basically proficient, let alone being able to build out a worth-while app on your own..

That said, considering how many forum posts I see regularly from folks asking how to "Display Text" onscreen to other relatively rudimentary GS functions, I can't wait to see the Graphene forums erupt from folks asking Objective-C or LUA coding questions. (sarcasm)

I honestly don't think people realize how good of an engine GS really is. YES, it has limitations and YES sometimes getting certain features or bugs worked out takes time, but as @The_Gamesalad_Guru‌ (Dave) has often stated (which I'm paraphrasing), GameSalad is a business and a product. If folks don't like it, they are more than welcome to jump on to the Unity or Corona or Stencyl bandwagon and ride off into those various sunsets.. No need to fret or whine..

Remember, people - GS (or Unity, Corona, Unreal, etc.) is just a tool - no different than the various items you see at a hardware store. If Craftsman stops making a hammer or cordless drill you like or they drop certain features you need, walk a few steps over and pick up a Stanley, Makita, etc. branded tool that has the features you need to perform your craft and move on.. It's not like moving to Graphene (or GS not supporting feature A, B, or C) will prevent people from being creative..

On top of being a really solid engine, GS has a really solid community of folks that are always willing to help each other out and show off tips & tricks.

I've signed up for the Graphene BETA and am excited to see what it can offer. To that end, if it fits my development needs, I'll be happy to throw money and support at it. If it doesn't, I won't cry or stomp my feet - because regardless of it's success, I'm planning to continue to support GS so long as it does what I need it to do.

-- J

• zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405

@KnightStar well said

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2015

Hmmm. Seeing ALOT more discussion of writing code, plugins and stuff. Hope there is going to be a free version at start up...the first time I get told I have to learn LUA or Objectiv C or whatever...Im out. I hope GS is not forgetting the usefullness of "no code required" This very long continuing discussion on this thread gets more and more discouraging by the day. Someone please tell me Graphene is going to be good for us no code knowing newbs.

• outlandishPIXELoutlandishPIXEL Member Posts: 43

well I'm excited about this, and I look forward to trying the new sdk if I get the chance!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited January 2015

@Thunder_Child said:
    Hmmm. Seeing ALOT more discussion of writing code, plugins and stuff. Hope there is going to be a free version at start up...the first time I get told I have to learn LUA or Objectiv C or whatever...Im out. I hope GS is not forgetting the usefullness of "no code required" This very long continuing discussion on this thread gets more and more discouraging by the day. Someone please tell me Graphene is going to be good for us no code knowing newbs.

From what I understand, you'll be able to use the Visual Editor (just like we have in GS) to code everything for your app, or you can code free-style with text. However, if YOU as a user wanted a feature (let's say FB posting) before the GS team gets around to implementing it, you could use native coding to write it up and it should work in the Visual editor as well (how so I'm not certain). This is all from what I understand, and dang does it sound good!

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    edited January 2015

This sounds amazing! will Pro members receive early acces?

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694
    edited January 2015

@Approw said:
    This sounds amazing! will Pro members receive early acces?

No

This is a different engine.
    Just sign up for the beta.

@Thunder_Child said:

Perhaps a good way of looking at this is that Graphene may well be for folks that have mastered (or at least feel comfortable) attempting to try developing in a more challenging and tech-requiring environment..

Also, being less coding-inclined as our fine friends like @Socks, @RThurman‌, @DeepBlueApps‌ , etc., I see the potential for a Graphene Marketplace that far exceeds the GS Marketplace. Think about this - considering what I'm hearing and seeing about the new engine, users should be able to contact more tech-inclined users and request / pay for custom add-ons and plug-ins.. THAT beats the hell out of scouring forums and ripping apart templates for the functionality I'm looking for any day of the week..

-- J

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited January 2015

Exactly @KnightStar‌ it will give Graphene (GS) to leverage of the skills of its community, something GS already does but is missing its full potential.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited January 2015

From what @The_Gamesalad_Guru and @Manto said I have been thinking about which of the languages to learn. The challenge of writing a plugin floats my boat :). So I am thinking of going the C++ route because 1 - it is more portable, 2 - it has a lot more tutorials and a bigger community for learning and help and 3 - it executes faster than Objective C.

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

would that means we can plug the SDK from other apps? for example Facebook ha SDK that u can use to track downloads from FB adds, or SDKs from xcodes to access the phone functionalities ( camera, micophone ..etc ) would that possible?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Graphene first and foremost will be a drag and drop editor just like creator. You won't need to know any coding languages to use it. Think of it as a car. You can buy a stock car off the lot and add features offered by the manufacturer but if you want custom wheels you can buy them after market. If you want to boost horsepower you can buy a header and install it. Get the point. This is how it works. So yeah some people will be Erving a nice new stock corvette others will be driving a supercharged one custom built.

• Creator97Creator97 Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2015

The name was cross platform creator, right? So you should be able to publish games on several different platforms. It would be so awesome if you could also create games on several different platforms. So how possible is it to get support for linux. It's open source and everyone has access to it. Imagine a Steam Box and just connect your wireless mouse and create your games with Graphene. (It could be the Project Spark of Linux :smile: )

However 1 Thumb up for Linux Support.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Graphene first and foremost will be a drag and drop editor just like creator. You won't need to know any coding languages to use it. Think of it as a car. You can buy a stock car off the lot and add features offered by the manufacturer but if you want custom wheels you can buy them after market. If you want to boost horsepower you can buy a header and install it. Get the point. This is how it works. So yeah some people will be Erving a nice new stock corvette others will be driving a supercharged one custom built.

HAHA Noooowwwwww who's using car metaphors.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@KnightStar said:
    Also, being less coding-inclined as our fine friends like @Socks, @RThurman‌, @DeepBlueApps‌ , etc., I see the potential for a Graphene Marketplace that far exceeds the GS Marketplace . . .

Just to clarify, I am not code inclined at all ! :smile: Seriously, I wouldn't know the difference between a watermelon and a JSON-object-oriented-networking-server-side-control-matrix (Ok, I think I made that one up :smile: ) . . . it's all Latin to me, I switch off even at the mention of Lua arrays (whatever they are).

But yes, I completely agree that the potential for a Graphene Marketplace far exceeds the potential in the GS Marketplace.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Socks said:
    But yes, I completely agree that the potential for a Graphene Marketplace far exceeds the potential in the GS Marketplace.

This is why they need to open up the marketplace again before graphene comes out, so it gives more access to other people who have coding knowledge. I have a feeling certain people will be monopolizing the marketplace with the help of GS staff, lets not let it happen.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

Hi,

I have a question regarding Graphene, I'm going into studying C++, and I'm playing around with Cocos2d-x framework to get a feel of C++. But I would like to know, if Graphene, can we use a framework like Cocos2d-x or will Graphene have it's own framework, and then we can use C++ pure without framework? Hope someone in Game Salad Staff can clarify this to me. Thanks and God Bless....

SIncerely

Sunday

@Socks said:
    Just to clarify, I am not code inclined at all !

With all due respect, Bull-Puckey! I've seen some of the black magic you've brewed up in your cauldron of tricks.. :wink:

Needless to say, we're all much better off that folks like you are around to help, humble as you might be...

-- J

@Lovejoy said:
    This is why they need to open up the marketplace again before graphene comes out, so it gives more access to other people who have coding knowledge. I have a feeling certain people will be monopolizing the marketplace with the help of GS staff, lets not let it happen.

Man you guys love conspiracy theories...lmao

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Man you guys love conspiracy theories...lmao

Haha, im gonna change my name to Jesse Ventura. Not sure if you know of him but anyone from the USA should.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

@KnightStar Bingo!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2015

Think of it as a car. You can buy a stock car off the lot and add features offered by the manufacturer but if you want custom wheels you can buy them after market. If you want to boost horsepower you can buy a header and install it. Get the point.

>

Now, that's my kind of talk. I didn't know you were a petrol-head (aka gasoline-head)!

Keep in mind that you are still responsible for putting the gas in (subscription).

edited January 2015

My first car was a 1967 mustang. 302, 2plane high rise, holly 4 barrel. Then I moved on to building massive 4wds. Built my own motors and all. Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers. Yes I grew up a motor head.

This was my last build in 2004 and yes it was a brand new jeep when I had my buddy tear it apart at his shop. Pictured below it had exactly 30 miles on it.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634
    edited January 2015
  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2015

@The_Gamesalad_Guru and @mhedges‌

Now I'm going to get in trouble for hijacking this thread and starting a motoring photo gallery.
    So, I had better post my response in a new thread under Miscellaneous! B)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@PhilipCC said:
    Now I'm going to get in trouble for hijacking this thread and starting a motoring photo gallery.
    So, I had better post my response in a new thread under Miscellaneous! B)

I agree...this thread is for serious talk about Graphene please.

@Thunder_Child said:
    I agree...this thread is for serious talk about Graphene please.

Agreed.