Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Hahaha @Socks‌

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2015

@Thunder_Child said:
    I agree...this thread is for serious talk about Graphene please.

>

Yes, it was supposed to be!

Actually, tell me who said it was supposed to be serious?

How come you went back to that ugly baby " spitting the dummy" (pacifier image) instead of your new cool one... and now you tell us in a new thread you'r leaving us!

Jees, some of these folk are going to get bored, with nobody to slag at, if you leave.

Stick around, you and many others brighten our days. :)

@PhilipCC said:
    How come you went back to that ugly baby " spitting the dummy" (pacifier image) instead of your new cool one...

I think that is his actual baby :#

But anyways, he isn't going anywhere B)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2015

@PhilipCC‌
    @Lovejoy‌

That is my baby and he is very handsome fella!! :smile:

Not sure why the profile pic has changed. It was blank to me last night. Yesterday I was pushing for a few changes in the forums to make some new things fun as well as trying to push for seperate forums for Graphene when released. It wasnt taken very well, someone said this isnt highschool and is serious money and game making.

I made a few comments back...came here and saw "fun" stuff, made that comment above and I made an ass of myself...which I regret. Yes I threatened to quit as I have several times and was called out on that too. I made a comment about finding loopholes in the forum rules to my advantage. Actually proved it can be done but still a big no no. I recieved a warning from a mod. I actually consider that a big deal as I like being involved in the forums. I have big issues trying to make games. I suck at it.

I had planned on quitting and have even restored my Mac cuz it was getting junked up and I was/am ready to give it up. If anythink first Im am taking a break and working on art for a slots game. I will probably finish that by Graphenes release. I will then move to Graphene. I also want a seperate account for it. Ya it will still be me but thats what I want and speak strongly about it as well as other things.

I wont be asking for anymore help. Im not going to post anymore about my issues. I wont rant about quitting. Im keeping my mouth shut now. I will love to help people here at GS with issues and have learned my lesson (I think) so when the new product is released I hope to gain a better reputation than I have created here.

So back to Graphene...take it away.

Thunder_Child
    Aka dumb$hit

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2015

I'll get this thread back on track 'cos I want to! (Like the fancy cars though...)

Reading the announcement of Graphene then all the posts, I was excited, then not, then excited, then not, etc., you get the picture.

My personal state of mind concerning Graphene? Providing:

a) somehow GameSalad Creator updates/bug fixes/improvements aren't affected

b) Graphene will be pretty much like a "clean coded" GameSalad when it comes to the drag and drop behaviours system, with extra bells and whistles (including the ability to use plugins/write your own code)

then I'm excited and look forward to it with much anticipation.

Here's a thought: what if Graphene is going to be free for new non-Pro users without any coding capabilities or the ability to use plugins, and paid for new pro users for the ability to use those, plus perhaps extra import/export capabilities? Could be, we wait to see.

And what if GameSalad was still improved on over a period of two or three years but eventually phased out, leaving just Graphene? Surely you guys wouldn't mind that? (If Graphene is going to be a clean-coded GameSalad on steroids anyhow...) Surely a two or three year period would be ample time to change over for the majority of GC users...

Just throwing these assumptions/ideas into the ring for discussion. :smile:

P.S To state: I have no inside knowledge whatsoever concerning Graphene.

yours sincerely,

David John Graphene ;)

P.S Someone stated (can't remember who) that any Graphene forum(s) should be part of the GameSalad Forums - I'm not sure that's logical... I'd personally like to see two separate sets of Forums, one for GameSalad, one for Graphene, with clear and large buttons on each to take you to the other one (button to Graphene Forums on GameSalad, and the opposite on the Graphene Forums. Anyone agree?

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited January 2015

@gyroscope‌, I like getting this back on track, nice! ;)

I was thinking something similar, but of course it's pure speculation. Here is what I was thinking might happen. It's a bit different but yet similar to your thoughts.

I hope Creator continues to be supported, as they suggest it will. It seems to me that it is already somewhat of a 'gateway' product for a lot of users, where people start with GS and if they like it eventually move on to other products like Unity. Perhaps Graphine will be GS's 'next level' product to retain users who out grow Creator.

I'm thinking Creator might actually be lowered in price, to allow an even lower point of entry and Graphine would be priced at a higher level (maybe what Creator is now or slightly higher) to support it's more advanced features of coding, plug-ins, etc.

If GS kept both products around with support, they might be able to capture some of the market that moves away from Creator to more advanced solutions.

Of course the example of Unity is not perfect since that is 3D and 2D, but those users who leave to simply get more features, options, and programming might be tempted to stay with Graphine if they were not specifically for 3D.

I'm not so sure Graphine will be automatically supplied to current owners of Creator, if they are two separate products they should be purchased separately I'd think. When Adobe developed Photoshop did they offer it to all Illustrator users for free? I'm sure not.

I guess we'll see how it all pans out over 2015! :)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@gyroscope said:

P.S Someone stated (can't remember who) that any Graphene forum(s) should be part of the GameSalad Forums - I'm not sure that's logical... I'd personally like to see two separate sets of Forums, one for GameSalad, one for Graphene, with clear and large buttons on each to take you to the other one (button to Graphene Forums on GameSalad, and the opposite on the Graphene Forums. Anyone agree?

I have recently stated and asked for two seperate forums so I agree.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

If I'm understanding this correctly, Graphene will essentially be a separate product for creating more advanced games with the option of coding? I must admit I'm relieved that they will continue to support the Gamesalad Creator for those that have created (and may continue to create) popular games that perform just fine on the App Store. I myself love the simple nature of the creator and think that some tweaks to improve overall work flow and scene loading times would be a huge leap in the right direction alone. I understand why some developers may need more than just the basics though without having to create tedious workarounds

@Thunder_Child said:

Good to hear, @Thunder_Child :smile:

@jamie_c Hi Jamie, Yes, I see your point about GSC being the "gateway" product but if the free version of Graphene is basically the same drag and drop system without the plugins/ability to code then that'll eventually replace it as the gateway. (Hence my thought that GSC will eventually be phased out).

I totally agree that, despite the core/basic similarities, they have different GUIs and are two separate and distinct products and will be marketed as such, I'm certain.

Apart from a possible free version of Graphene that'll match GSC's capabilities, the new Pro version of Graphene will surely have to be paid-for, even by "original" GSC pro users, I agree.

Anyhow, as you say, we'll wait to see how this all pans out. :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

edited January 2015

@supafly129 said:
    If I'm understanding this correctly, Graphene will essentially be a separate product for creating more advanced games with the option of coding? I must admit I'm relieved that they will continue to support the Gamesalad Creator for those that have created (and may continue to create) popular games that perform just fine on the App Store. I myself love the simple nature of the creator and think that some tweaks to improve overall work flow and scene loading times would be a huge leap in the right direction alone. I understand why some developers may need more than just the basics though without having to create tedious workarounds.

Hi @supafly129 Yes, that's for certain, GameSalad Creator will continue to be a separate product to Graphene. Although I feel it in my bones that the Graphene way of working (although using a different GUI) with drag and drop will be the same as GameSalad - so if you did start using Graphene in place of GameSalad Creator, you'd feel at home quite quickly.

The added features of plugins and self-coding could be ignored to produce apps in a very similar way to GameSalad Creator.

There might be a basic version of Graphene without the ability to code and use plugins anyhow, being very similar to GSC.

Either way, GameSalad Creator isn't "going out of the window" any time soon I'm guessing so there's no need to worry. And even if you or I were to assume GSC might be phased out eventually, that'll be years, not months - i'm almost certain of that.

to summarize: Graphene will do everything that GSC can do albeit with a different GUI - plus added features which you can choose to ignore (or won't have if these are a paid-for features - plugins and self-coding - which you choose not to buy). Just my opinion/assumptions.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@gyroscope said:
    Either way, GameSalad Creator isn't "going out of the window" any time soon I'm guessing so there's no need to worry. And even if you or I were to assume GSC might be phased out eventually, that'll be years, not months - i'm almost certain of that

That's the thing that I don't understand about this thread, so long as this is true no one should have reason to fret, and GS Team has pretty much stated this.

Plenty of time to let graphene grow on you (or hate it and choose another viable option) while still using GS to finish up products.

I guess the thought of two products to support has some people worried though.

@Thunder_Child said:

Agreed, keep em seperate.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited January 2015

Agree with @gyroscope point on varying opinions in the thread from very angry to yippee hooray!! It would be difficult for a lot of users to know weather to be excited or mad. I understand some are worried about what will happen to their projects if Creator doesn't continue in the future. As I have said I worry about GS itself continuing if they don't do something about the current Creator. Just a token analysis of Creator's history and state should cause that concern.

As I said before I am not a proficient coder I am somewhere above a novice. My thoughts on it are;

1 - Memory leaks are an ongoing issue and they shouldn't be in properly structured code. When the program is finished with an item in memory it should be removed from memory this frees up space so it can be used again. If this is not occurring memory use will increase and at some point causing the program to start slowing down and eventually crash.

2 - Creator is more stable now than it was in the past but it will still crash unexpectedly. Importing and overwriting images is one cause for this. It happens about every one in four times. I have learned to save and save often and also create lots of new versions for the times it will corrupt the file.

3 - It is still in beta. I know this causes some an emotional response when they see someone mention the dreaded beta word. But they fail to look at it critically. In a sense I don't really care if it is in beta or not as long as I can use it they can call it anything they like. However looking at it analytically it is another indication of the condition of the underlying code. If the underlying code was constructed and written correctly 1 and 2 wouldn't be occurring and it would have been out of beta years ago. A well coded and reliable piece of software released for general use will attract more users and a higher price than a beta version which goes to my point/concern about GS's longterm viability.

You might ask "Well why don't they just fix it?" That could be if not impossible almost impossible. I don't know the size of the code base but it will be many thousands of lines. The compiler is obviously compiling the code because we have and are working with the result. So the compiler is not helping them find these errors and trying to find them in thousands and thousands of lines of code would and is taking thousands and thousands of man hours.

At some point last year they must of came to the conclusion it would be simpler and cheaper to start from scratch. Otherwise why would they be making Graphene instead of adding it all to Creator. Looking at CodeWizard's pedigree on Linked In (Admittedly written by himself) I think we will get a first class piece of software. This is just my analysis and it only considered three thing, it doesn't mean some of it or any of it is true.

They have said they will continue, support and add features to Creator forever (As long as GS is around). I don't believe that. I believe they will for a time but eventually it will be dropped. Creator is drag and drop and Graphene is going to be drag and drop with bells and whistles why would they keep Creator. It doesn't make any business sense other than to placate the current user base by providing a grace period to get them into and used to Graphene.

From what I have read the biggest concerns of the users is the cost, the lifetime of Creator regarding their existing projects and if they can be imported into Graphene. If GS wasn't concerned about importing existing projects maybe the are now. If they don't provide it someone else might be able to writing a plugin. Both have a LUA engine so it may not be a massive task.

I have given my thoughts on the lifetime and importing as to cost I have no idea. Maybe we will get more information on all this at the Monthly Meetup later this week.

edited January 2015

Hi @colander yes, I do hope all those issues are/will be addressed for GameSalad Creator too. Maybe they'll work on GSC only until there's a tipping point of migration from GSC to Graphene.

And then when the vast majority of users, old and new are using Graphene in preference to GSC, surely it wouldn't make economic sense for GS HQ to continue working on GSC, I agree. But that'd be way down the line, wouldn't it.

I too hope and wish (as do you and others) that there'd be easy importing of existing GameSalad Creator files into Graphene - maybe via a plug-in - that'd put a lot of people's minds at rest as well.

• yattamoveyattamove Member Posts: 236

Wow! Another "forever beta" product. Hahaha!

I've been away too long! So this is what the wizards at GS getting busy with.

Add a few more guys to the staff to take on the extra workload and we are all gravy.

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603

@Lovejoy - And then maybe the guys who have been working on this thus far can get back to working on GS; that'd be great!

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912
    edited January 2015

I agree Lovejoy I am willing to even pay a little more for the annual pro License in order to get it done. Perhaps and and extra $100 a year but no more than $200? :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• c0ppoc0ppo Member Posts: 15

I'm a new GS user, and don't really want to say much.
    Will test out graphene, that's not a problem. But I think GS team made a huge mistake with this announcement. They should have announced a lot more information about the new SDK, probably even a small video tour.

That way they would answer a lot of questions, and that would surely keep their own users a bit calmer than they are now. Either that, or no info at all would be better then this really brief announcement.

Looking forward when more info about graphene sdk comes out.

P.S.
    Lua will be used for custom scripting 99%. Learn Lua if you want to learn scripting, Lua is remarkably easy to learn, and quite fast. Just a few videos on youtube about Lua will get you started in no time even if you never programmed before.

I've used Lua for scripting a lot, and a lot of C++. Obj-c is the hardest to learn here, especially for non programmers. Don't even bother with it for start, learn Lua. IMHO of course ;)

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

Plus one for what c0ppo said ...

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@SnapFireStudios said:
    Lovejoy - And then maybe the guys who have been working on this thus far can get back to working on GS; that'd be great!

Different people are working on Graphene. Let's just say Graphene has a wizard's touch. The regular creator staff are still working on creator. Don't jump to conclusions about things.

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2015

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Different people are working on Graphene. Let's just say Graphene has a wizard's touch. The regular creator staff are still working on creator. Don't jump to conclusions about things.

Yes, Codewizard has been really inactive on the forums for quite some time so assumed he was very busy working on something. It's great with the potential of Graphene and with the codewizard touch, but that means he and other GS staff is not working with (or working very little with) GS. Having such a small team as the GS team is and working on another HUGE project apart from GS for sure will make GS development suffer. You can dress it up any way you want but fact is fact.

• MediaBrosMediaBros Member, PRO Posts: 26

Really looking forward to Graphene when will it be out?

edited January 2015

Code wizard never really worked on creator except for early on. He has other responsibilities as Vice President of development so no creator is not missing out with him working on it. Maybe some of his more benign duties like paperwork and such might be slower...lol but not creator. Mac creator is run by blackcloakGS and windows by someone else. These people are not involved with Graphene development. Once again you're speculating. I'm not dressing anything up some of us just have a bit more insight at this point.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

There are clearly a number of people who have inside knowledge and being very cautious too.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@lycettebros said:
    There are clearly a number of people who have inside knowledge and being very cautious too.

It almost seems that way. I personally would like some transparency and details straight from the GS team rather then tip toeing around the details and speculation from people who may or may not be involved. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

There are some things I can't talk about publicly but I would be happy to answer any questions i can at the meetup tonight.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Sadly not attending the meetup but can I ask that somebody posts an overview of what is said about Graphene (I think there is a video posted normally?)

edited January 2015

Sometimes in the early goings of things there are no answers yet for some of the questions you are asking. Plus you need to understand GS is keeping info from falling into competitors hands. Just like many people here don't discuss the concepts they are working on for fear someone might steal the idea. Same thing at play here.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@The_Gamesalad_Guru If were talking sensitive information, and what should be released or not to the community...surely it should be down to the GS staff to be answering the questions, not you.

They know what info is sensitive and what isn't, and obviously know more in-depth details about everything being asked.

Posting a brief announcement of such magnitude, then keeping pretty much silent on the matter whilst questions and speculation mounts, just isn't the best way of handling something like this.