Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Socks said:
    I'm not 100% familiar with mode7, is it just that faked perspective sort of thing ?

Yes, here is a perfect example

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Lovejoy said:
    Yes, here is a perfect example

Thanks !

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks said:
    *in a dream I had last night

If Graphene was out next week it would probably be a nightmare... for CodeWizard and everyone else too!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Lovejoy said:

Woah! We'll be able to create something that in Graphene? That's crazy awesome!

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Woah! We'll be able to create something that in Graphene? That's crazy awesome!

I think @Socks‌ can make something like this now in Gamesalad.

@Lovejoy said:
    I think Socks‌ can make something like this now in Gamesalad.

Yes, for sure, but detecting those collisions, I imagine, is difficult in GS. In Graphene I assume we won't have to 'fake' this effect. :D

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Yes, for sure, but detecting those collisions, I imagine, is difficult in GS. In Graphene I assume we won't have to 'fake' this effect. :D

I don't think detecting collision in a game like this would be an issue, wouldn't it simply be when the obstacle is the same size as hero and overlapping then a collision has happened ?

The size would determine that both actors are on the same Z plane and the touching would handle the X and Y.

?

@Lovejoy said:
    I think Socks‌ can make something like this now in Gamesalad.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ! :) But perspective, even faked perspective, does add another dimension (drum roll . . .cymbal crash) to the problem that isometric doesn't have to deal with.

@Socks said:
    I don't think detecting collision in a game like this would be an issue, wouldn't it simply be when the obstacle is the same size as hero and overlapping then a collision has happened ?

The size would determine that both actors are on the same Z plane and the touching would handle the X and Y.
    ?

Yes. I guess my intention came across unclear - I was trying to say that we could most likely create games like the one above properly using Graphene as it would actually support 2.5D. But hey, I'd love to see what you come up with in GS! And feel free to send me 60% of the income when it goes viral. :D

edited January 2015

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Yes. I guess my intention came across unclear - I was trying to say that we could most likely create games like the one above properly using Graphene as it would actually support 2.5D

Yeah, agreed, from what I know so far about Graphene I imagine a Mode7 style game would be much much easier to do than attempting it in GameSalad - to be honest I'm not 100% sure what 2.5D means in the context of game making, the term seems to mean different things to different people, if it is just the simulation of a 3D environment on a 2D plane, then GameSalad is pretty good at that (unless you want viable perspective)

@Braydon_SFX said:
    But hey, I'd love to see what you come up with in GS! And feel free to send me 60% of the income when it goes viral. :D

60% is a little too much, I won't go any higher than 75%. PM me the contract, I'm in a signing mood.

I think what perspective, forced, faked or real, has over isometric is its innate parallaxing, I suspect that is what people find engaging about perspective (in a game), if there is no parallax then you can't have that Mario Kart game, the road in the distance needs to move differently (but relatedly) to the road in the foreground . But you can impose parallaxing on an isometric environment by altering the point of view of the camera in relation to the isometric grid (which in an axonometric world basically means rotation around one axis).

Here's a test I just did - I've stuck a tower right in the middle of the scene just to highlight the camera 'movement' ('rotation' in reality) - ignore the crappy 30fps Youtube glitchyness.

Notice the effect parallaxing has on the sense of depth/dimension when I go between a shifting camera point of view and a fixed camera point of view (standard isometric) - when I change the 'Skew' attribute from 24 to 0, you can see that the environment goes from being 3D (-ish) to being a flat static picture, that's how much parallax adds to the effect.

• wcsd9739wcsd9739 Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2015

@Socks‌ - I will not be jealoused of your foul SaladSorcery!

But I will be mightily impressed. And slightly (muchly) amazed.

P.S. I'll be willing to take that extra 15% in the contract.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks Wow! That's truly amazing. All with little old 0.12xx something GameSalad. :D

• conrad74conrad74 Member Posts: 50

Does anyone know anything about this site? Is the Gamesalad crew behind this site or is this an independent outfit?

http://www.graphenemarketplace.com/

• wcsd9739wcsd9739 Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2015

Idk... But imma wait to hear word from the team before I "resister my interest" and give that site my email address...

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited January 2015

@Socks said: "Check out me sweet fake 3D thing!" (or words to that effect).

I honestly have no idea how you did that. :) Very cool.

• lobosco_estudiolobosco_estudio Member Posts: 98

Well, I'm really excited about the Graphene SDK, I always love to try new tools and softwares.. and is seems a really nice one. Looking forward for it.

PS. But I won't say that I wasn't a little upset about it, specially because I got the pro plan the last year expecting those big updates on GS, which didn't happen.

Cheers!

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912
    edited January 2015

Firstly, I would like to extend my gratitude. The online monthly meet up was very informative. I greatly appreciate the GameSalad team, as will as fellow GS developers.

In brief I would like to ask the following question regarding the upcoming Graphene game engine.

During the meet up it was stated that users will have new programing options for Graphene. In light of this and as a way to prepare for Graphene’s eventual release I have the following questions.

Although this new engine is quite a while off from being released I would like to ask what programing language should I learn in order to taken full advantage of the new coding features?

Is LUA one of the languages?

Thank you for your time.

Dale

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@robertkdale‌,

look for @CodeWizard's long detailed explanation about the coding options in this thread, it is about two pages back.

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Thanks Hopscotch :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@Conrad74 ...the domain was registered on the 27th December... so just a few days after Graphene was announced. This leads me to believe it's not an official marketplace from GameSalad or even from one of the select developers that already has access to Graphene, as they would have secured the domain much earlier.

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159
    edited January 2015

@conrad74 said:
    Does anyone know anything about this site? Is the Gamesalad crew behind this site or is this an independent outfit?

Don't think it's GS :)

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@Chunkypixels said:
    Conrad74 ...the domain was registered on the 27th December... so just a few days after Graphene was announced. This leads me to believe it's not an official marketplace from GameSalad or even from one of the select developers that already has access to Graphene, as they would have secured the domain much earlier.

Also "Resister your interest and request a plugin if you wish!" reaffirms my confidence...

:P

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• @CodeWizard‌ : is it going to be multiplatform? As in Win, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Tizen, Html5 and possibly consoles in the future?

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62

@conrad74 said:

That is not our site. I don't think it's any of our Alpha testers either (correct me if I'm wrong), so I doubt they could already be building plugins. Subscribe at your own risk.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited January 2015

@GianmicheleMariani Graphene SDK will run on Mac and Windows. We are using this technology for the editor so in theory we could work on any thing it supports. We are not using that technology for the runtime engine and we don't have all the publishing target figured out at this time but it will be multiplatform.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited January 2015

:)

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
    edited January 2015

@conrad‌ @wcsd9739‌ @Chunkypixels‌ @Dues‌ @quantumsheep‌ @WebWarrior‌ @BlackCloakGS‌ @BBEnk‌

Ill put the rumours to rest. GrapheneMarketplace.com is a third party website and is not connected to GrapheneSDK™ in anyway.

The website is currently set up for visitors to register their interest for any plugins that they maybe interested in having made. Its not a scam, not a site to collect emails for resale nor do I own 350 emails @BBEnk‌. lol

When Graphene is released, we will be concentrating on building plugins for the SDK and supplying them via our website. Anybody wanting to discuss this further can do so by contacting me directly by sending me a PM. Please refrain from discussing it further on this thread as it may be taken the wrong way by GS staff. We are not any threat to the GrapheneSDK's Marketplace and we intend to be a valuable third party site that will run alongside the GrapheneSDK's Marketplace. Lets not burn our bridges before its started.

Thank you understanding and your upcoming support.

Damien.

@gingagaming‌ Nothing wrong with planning ahead. Site looks great.

• Awwww I hoped the runtime would run on multiple platforms :smile:

Can't wait to try it.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    GianmicheleMariani Graphene SDK will run on Mac and Windows. We are using this technology for the editor so in theory we could work on any thing it supports. We are not using that technology for the runtime engine and we don't have all the publishing target figured out at this time but it will be multiplatform.

• safransafran Member Posts: 32

@gingagaming‌ I think you have a good business sense. I'm currently excited with Graphene. I'm not as furious as before due to the assurance of GS development and the business prospect of Graphene. I'm glad somebody already take the chance in supporting Graphene aside from the alpha testers.