Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

It is a bit sad that they went an entire product cycle without leaving Beta.

• GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197

This is the best thing I've heard in a long time.

Shameless self-promotion:
    http://graphenesdk.com/?id=53JGW

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Man I hope the winers don't get to test this before me,lol.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Constructive Criticism is not whining. Questioning something odd, is not whining. Voicing reservations, is not whining. If anything its helps keep the wabbly, straight.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Graphene "strong, fast, cheap and impossible to use". The Newyorker.

I hope they were referring to the carbon graphene!!!!!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited December 2014

@gattoman‌

If you would actually read the article by the NewYorker and not just google searches top find....the carbon graphene is exactly what they were refering too.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/12/22/material-question

:\

Check this one.

http://www.trademarkia.com/graphene-sdk-86431892.html

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@Thunder_Child said:
    gattoman‌

If you would actually read the article by the NewYorker and not just google searches top find....the carbon graphene is exactly what they were refering too.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/12/22/material-question

:\

Check this one.

http://www.trademarkia.com/graphene-sdk-86431892.html

I think he was joking.

I thought it was witty. Tough crowd.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I guess we know which of us will be transferring over to Graphene. :)

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

@Braydon_SFX said:

Features, flexibility, plug-ins, the ability to add your own code and use a visual editor as well. It wouldn't be wise not to transfer. The only reason you would still use Creator is to maintain your old projects.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Braydon_SFX said:

Im sure many of us will switch over to graphene.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Looks very interesting and patience is going to be required again with this product methinks.
    Interesting to note the Alpha is in Windows (the screengrab posted)...the homepage graphic is on a Mac...hope there is Mac version. Of course there will be a Mac version.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

Yes, it works on Mac and Windows. Same codebase. Same interface. Multiple platforms. :)

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited December 2014

@CodeWizard said:
    Yes, it works on Mac and Windows. Same codebase. Same interface. Multiple platforms. :)

Great! and @CodeWizard also said "The language you can write your own code in is .............. and if your up for it you can write plugins in .............. ". :)

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

Coding is in one of the following:

1. Visual coding with the behavior editor.
    2. Manual scripting in Lua.
    3. Native coding in C++ / Objective C / Java depending on platform
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

@CodeWizard said:

That is sweet stuff ... Can't wait. Thanks for clarifying ... :smiley:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

As code wizard just released no need to wait for features anymore as you can write your own and give it away or sell it on the marketplace as a plug in. You want access to the camera, grab a code snippet and bang you got it. Want to add something in LUA write it in. Want to just use it like creator drag in behaviors. This software is only limited by your imagination and ability.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Sounds like it should be a good step forward.

• Ed_PerkinEd_Perkin Midlands,UKMember Posts: 346

If my old gamesalad files are compatible with this new software I'm all up for it , also pro users if it comes out this year or sooner should get it free , but other than those two things I think it will be good to see this tool , as gamesalad needs too many updates and features that this graphemes thing has been said to have! Merry Christmas and to the GS team it will be a complete rip off to many people and bring your reputation down if you make pro members purchase this product as well , but I suppose it would be exceptable to charge A bit for an update to graphene , good luck! :D

• ReverbLabsReverbLabs London ukMember, PRO Posts: 16
    edited December 2014

Great to read all the different comments, this does sound like a fantastic tool for us all, and I really don't think the GS team would spend all this time and effort to bring us what we've all been asking for for years... Just to alienate its own community. Very exciting stuff on the horizon!

I doubt this will be backwards compatible. Sooner or later, just like an os change you need to cut the cord to move forward. The old creator designed long ago was an issue for GS to move forward. So we're just going to have to accept moving forward means a new start. I'm good with that as when it released I'll begin building my next project in it and as was said GS will keep creator to update my old games. This whole thing is still an evolving paradigm so be patient and watch as more info is released. This isn't going to happen for a while so it's not like you need to decide right away.

edited December 2014

@BBEnk said:
    Man I hope the winers don't get to test this before me,lol.

I would suspect one needs to be competent in GS aka above the average user and be one with a history of bug reporting. After all the aim is to debug the software and that means actively debugging not just getting a look at the software. There is a learning curve here as well. The goal is to provide productive detailed feedback and spot reproducible bugs. In other words, it's work and not some kind of bragging rights deal.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited December 2014

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    I would suspect one needs to be competent in GS aka above the average user and be one with a history of bug reporting.

Hopefully I fit the first part and I've certainly got the second part covered. I would love to test this baby and I have plenty of time to do it. Before you all say anything I know I'm shameless :).

@CodeWizard said:

What's the difference of "manual scripting " and "native coding". ??

I've been on the fence for studying more programming.

Hmmmm lua or swift? 

Native code in Swift I assume as well.

I hope this pans out. Great news.

I was going Pro at end of January. Now I might hold off.

has any one got it yet? :D

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Ed_Perkin said:

Yes, a small group of people.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Ed_Perkin said:

See the first post.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AJaymzAJaymz Member, PRO Posts: 164

I wonder if Graphene will handle optimization better. I know a lot of timers and movable objects in Gamesalad can be a bit sluggish on older models of phones like the iPhone 4.

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870

Lots of people understandably expressing worry, and some down right talking conjecture. Let's not forget that this current staff and chain of command was not the same as it was when all of these perceived failures in the past were going on. Some people have moved in, some people have stayed, and some people have moved on. I don't think it would be fair to hold the current lineup responsible for the past, by talking down about decisions made by GameSalad, since a lot of them weren't even at GameSalad when it happened.

edited December 2014

Sorrrry , I mean like has anyone got it From entering on the website link , in otherwords when can I expect to be able to try it , a week or a few months?