'The Big Picture' - June Update: iPhone 4

Comments

• giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    GS this just goes to show that very very few people are happy with the GS updates. GS is a great program but so far i haven't yet seen any of our games anywhere near the top 100 (with exception of few). I think it is in your own interest keep up to date and keep us happy! if the updates continue like this i don't think i will be buying gs in November (when my license expires).
    Please try to work just a bit harder every month and add one BIG feature and small updates for stability.
    I think that the minimum you should do, this month, is provide us the best update we have ever had. (catching up the past updates which, to me, have not been very useful.)

One thing that i would also like is that you choose a day every month in which you decide to release the new update.
    So that 1) you push yourselves to finish the update properly
    2) we get all excited for the day!"! :P

GS, if you were updating this program regularly with proper updates i would be very happy to spend more on a program like this one. 200-500$ is what i could pay for a properly administrated program.

Lets hope that everyone agrees that something has to be done!!
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    giacomopoppi said:
    GS this just goes to show that very very few people are happy with the GS updates. GS is a great program but so far i haven't yet seen any of our games anywhere near the top 100 (with exception of few).

So you have seen some then.

Being in the top 100 has nothing to do Gendai's updates, it's up to the developer of the game to MAKE IT GOOD. Crap doesn't get onto the top 100. Doesn't matter if it's GameSalad or not, most games simply WILL NOT make the top 100 list.
    of course. but certain updates do help a lot.
    eg if we stay at 3.0 nobody is going to buy our apps.
    eg2. lederboards (plus+) help soooo much. there are very few apps in the top 100 which DONT have leaderboards.
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    First and foremost if you can not make good games because the dev system holds you back, you have a real problem. Apple introduced over 1000 updates and a bunch of other potentially good stuff, POTENTIALLY good stuff.

I think Gendai is one or two people doing the best they can with what they can do and it has gotten over their head.

I agree I would pay more for the software, if it was up to date, documented and fresh.

I can make the games, I have the artists, I have the sound guys, I have no issue of fighting with the other game makers, but GS is poorly documented, and needs some features that are not good ideas they are mandatory in order to keep us at least up to date with Apple.

But even more, this thread has been going on for a while, it seems that a few people are interested, but almost nothing from Genadi, but hey we are working on it. Whats the big secret, not knowing is the problem, we developers are like kids waiting for a special holiday to come about where we all get presents.

Hog wash, just be open and transparent and tell us the truth then we can decide what we want to do. At this point Xcode does not look so hard anymore, and with it I get 100 % control of the device.

Not going to be a solution for my art team but, its worth looking into

Communication, no matter what it is is the mainstay of any company that wants to be competitive and sustainable its up to Gendai what it wants to do, GS is pretty cool, it does some good stuff, but it needs to be better.

I think I am done with this thread, if Gendai wants help, seems to me there are a bunch of folks out here who are willing to help.

Ciao
    Guys, do you think that a 14 year old teenager as myself could learn to use xcode?
    any advice where i need to start off?
    i think it is going to be faster that way...

I'm surprised GS hasn't had any interest of even commenting this thread, maybe once. I must say that this is the first time that GS lets me down :(
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    I have a question to GS and Gendai, simple and easy to answer.
    To date how many GS developers are there.

Apple touts 100,000 plus, and 100 bucks a pop, they have made some serious money,
    so how many developers are there using gs.

Then if you take that number times 100 bucks I think that leads us to a real answer about development of the software. if there are 1000 developers they made, 100K, not enough money to do squat, hence no phone number to call, no doc, what we have is what we have at that level.

How man POTENTIAL users could there be, well lets see.

100,000,000 million Idevices, eliminate 90 percent of the them bring the number down to
    10,000,000 who MIGHT want to make an app, not games, just apps, so now lets knock out another 90% and bring it down to 1,000,000 potential developers of some level, who if they could spend 200 bucks, 100 for apple and 100 for GS, these people who are they, real estate agents, car sales people, bakers, bankers candle stick makers, you name it, the same folks who have websites that help them sell stuff, these folks, would love to be able to make and app, not a game but an app, HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BREAD, how to talk to a lawyer, ok that list is endless, to my point. People could indeed have access to the iphone and idevices, they could make an app, apple makes out with IAD and the app maker makes out by having the add, hell he might even make some money with Iad, blah blah blah. If GS wants to hire me to be the guy that makes this happen, I am in. I think the revolution is just starting, mobile tech is going to make desktop computers look like well, dot matrix printers, sure you can still get one but for what reason.

Gendai, you are right here, right now in the perfect place to make a real difference and a very profitable company, even if my numbers are off by 50 percent, you could become one of Apples best friends. Why, apple does not want all those, almost developers asking xcode questions hell they cant answer the ones they have now.

You folks at Gendai are sitting at that special place where the direction you take now takes you either forward or into the digital either of countless companies who could have made a difference but for one reason or another did not make it.

Commodore Business machines, better computer, color, sound . cheap, boom wrong decision, Sony, can you imagine they did NOT do the iphone, PSP with no touch, no phone blah blah blah, and they own have the music world, wow is that a big error.

I will support the software without question no matter what happens, but if you guys want some direction help I am up for the task. I think that Gendai sits in a amazing place, now we all get to see what they do next.

Wilco, over and out.
    @vegasmike1 good point there!

So the real question GS admins should ask themselves is:
    Do we want to earn loads of money spending just a couple of more hours a month on a program?

I must say i dont particularly mind about the documentation. we already have a wiki and making a book could take months. GS is sooo easy to learn after all! im 14 and i managed without the wiki. i hope you people out there can too!

@GS, all i'd like to say is that you need to focus a little more on what WE want AND get the program right (stability/fixes). We are getting bored of the same updates: stability, stability, fixes, stability.... :(

I'd like an answer from you if possible, even if it is just a smile, just to see if you are reading this.

I'm not going to comment this thread anymore (unless it is needed/very tempting!) but i would appreciate some kind of conclusion.

If it's the income that is bothering you and isn't sufficient tell us and im sure nearly all of us will agree to pay more every year/make a donation.

Come on GS! Dont let us down now!
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    I think GS is trying to hide under the covers until we stop hitting them with wave after wave of bad comments on their software...but I wont stop its my duty to get IN-APP PURCHASING!!!
    NO NO NO! (i had to reply!!)

@SurgeApps we are not making bad comments on the GS PROGRAM! we are just "strongly" demanding for some proper updates.

The GS program is great, it just needs to be updated regularly with loads of features.
    I have always thought that in-app purchasing would be extremely hard to incorporate in GS. think about it. how would u be able to configure it through GS??
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    Just have the project open and there would be an in-app purchase option so you throw in a button and say: IF this button is pressed, charge (itunes account) $0.99 and change attribute: levels 5-10 unlocked to true.

Something like that seems fairly easy to me I wish I worked for the GS dev team :/
    @SurgeApps
    yeah i suppose so....
    Gendai Jobs: http://gendaigames.com/careers/
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    giacomopoppi <a href="http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=7657&;
    Gendai Jobs: http://gendaigames.com/careers/

Wow... I didn't even bother to look at that page. There are lots of jobs listed... pretty good ones too. I think that page pretty much squashes the idea that Gendai Games is just a couple of guys working part-time.
    Funny how everyone says "I might just go and learn Xcode". Hate to tell you, people... it ain't easy. Even brining a single screen up takes lines and lines of code, and even if you get proficient at it, you'll still have to learn OpenGL to do anything decent with graphics... as well as writing your own game engine. GO ahead though... it will give you more control over the device but you're being very naive if you think you'll be ready to publish anything more than the most basic app within the next couple of years. Yes, years. I'm betting within that time GameSalad will be a hell of a lot better. Think of it this way... do you really think you could learn Japanese and be totally fluent in a couple of months? Xcode is another language... only it's not a human language, which makes it that much harder to learn.

Yes, GameSalad lacks some features (PAUSE anyone?) and is pretty unstable at the moment but it is still an amazing piece of software. Never before has there been anything that enabled you to make games of any genre without a line of code! The closest I have ever seen to GS is The Power Game Factory... which was cool but very limited.

At the end of the day, GameSalad enables you to unleash your creativity with minimal time. Feel free to learn Xcode, though. I'll still be here in three years time when you launch your latest flashlight app :-P
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Xcode is an IDE not a language.... apart from that everything else you said was also complete tripe:)
    Yes, a very intricate one. I realise that means they need to learn C, C++, Objective C... whatever else Xcode requires... but you're right, I worded it completely incorrectly. But, on top of learning the language, you still have to learn all about Xcode itself. it's not exactly user friendly.

Everything I said is tripe. Really? Learning objective C is easy? Show me one good game that is completely native and made by someone who's only been learning it a little while. Show me another piece of software that allows you to do what GameSalad does with no code.

And if it's so easy to learn Objective C (and get your head around Xcode itself), Open GL etc etc... why are you here?
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    I sure hope universal build options are being implemented, because app naming with the iPhone 4 is gonna be disastrous.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Eastbound said:
    I sure hope universal build options are being implemented, because app naming with the iPhone 4 is gonna be disastrous.

+ 1
    + another one.
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    I have just read through all these posts, took a long time! When did the community get so bitchy it's not a union it is what it is and we all choose to play. I understand concerns but as a s older I have learnt not to fight the system and play the game (par den the pun)

I to though that just because I made apps in GS and Xcode I was going to make it and I soon reallised that it dose not work that way. I enjoy making games it's that simple I have made enough money to cover my costs for the next 5 years. Look where we started from I was too here at the beginning even before the 99$ option and we have all evolved our games like hiring artists to do graphics and animations.

All I am saying push the system and it will fight back as the train set belongs to them and they might not want you to play as much as you hope they will!

Good morning gents...
    Well said.
    AppChogie said:
    I have just read through all these posts, took a long time! When did the community get so bitchy it's not a union it is what it is and we all choose to play. I understand concerns but as a s older I have learnt not to fight the system

Well, I'm not a soldier. I'm a game developer and a business man. If I was good at following orders and not complaining, maybe I would have joined the United States military. It's honorable work! But, I know who I am. I'm not that type of person. I argue about things that don't make sense to me. I'm a futurist and I'm a creative individual. I'm planning for the future and I'm basically deciding how GameSalad fits into those plans. I'm building a business. That means I pick my suppliers. Gendai Games supplies a tool. It's a great tool, but it's also limited. Unlike other development and design software programs that I've used, Gendai Games tries to take a lot of control over my game.

I can't edit the game in xcode or add customizations.
    I can't change the splash screen without spending much more money than I'm making.
    Hyperlinks for $1999?!
    I can't put the game on my website exclusively, like a .swf file from Flash.

I'm complaining because I care.
    People usually forget that because criticism sucks.

But at some point, if things don't improve, I'll simply stop complaining. Like with vbulletin, I simply dropped the software and switched to something else.

I know that GameSalad express is fairly inexpensive. I know that I can make a lot of money with it, but I can make a lot of money with Flash, Photoshop and InDesign. When you compare a subscription to an owned license, is there savings? Yet, that's not the main issue... $100... $1999... that kind of money is not worth complaining about when you could make $100,000 a year.

My concern is that I have to decide what's the best game development platform for my games. While I can create games very quickly and easily with GameSalad, I feel it's limited. I can't add custom features. I have to wait for Gendai Games to add those features. My games can't be ported easily to platforms outside of GameSalad. That means I'm crippling my game library.

GameSalad is mostly an iOS development platform. The iTunes App Store is quite similar to the Android Market. Overall, I've found more success with the Android Market. Yet, I see more potential with the iTunes App Store. There are four reasons...

• I think that Apple's "Walled Garden" approach creates a better experience for customers.
    • For now, it seems that the iTunes store is bigger than the Android Market.
    • iAds seems a lot better than what Google has come up with. I don't think AdMob is as good.
    • Game Center... wow... lots of potential there.

So, two of the four reasons are currently not supported by GameSalad. Sure, they're supposedly on the way... but when? I don't like having to plan my business around phrases like "Rhymes with iPad." It's not just the lack of features, it's the communication. I see some warning signs. The complains are good. It gives Gendai Games proper direction to get back on track.
    @Photics good points there!

Guys, do any of you know how to program with LUA? if so could u try and help out GS with features??

also guys, what are "My behaviors" for?
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Hi giacomopoppi
    giacomopoppi said:
    Guys, do any of you know how to program with LUA? if so could u try and help out GS with features??

I personally don't know how to program with Lua, so can't help you there. It's looks like it's based on a Basic form, rather than the C-type end, which is good! I've just read it's used extensively in the gaming industry; I didn't know that. I doubt that any sort of real scripting language as such will ever be included in GS; one of its main selling points is that basically, its powerful enough without any scripting required.
    giacomopoppi said:

also guys, what are "My behaviors" for?

I can help there. Say you've a bunch of Rules in an actor and you want the same or similar in another actor's Rules. You'd select the whole lot and drag them into the My Behaviors folder. This then appears as Group, which you can rename. Then when you go to another actor, you can drag it out into it's Rules as a copy/to amend. The only thing is you can't delete them from the folder at the moment.

:-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    I understand the frustration but the software is a beta! And as long as it has that title they can trickle new functionality and thats the way it is. Right or wrong it is what it is. Now the other alternative is people stop using the software and but I'm sure they won't.
    wow, thanks gyroscope. didnt know that!
    AppChogie said:
    Right or wrong it is what it is. Now the other alternative is people stop using the software and but I'm sure they won't.

Actually, I spent much of the day using xcode. I started the day thinking about the GameSalad Textbook project, but then I realized I had to get an app out there with iAds. I hate working with xcode, but that's what I'm doing because GameSalad doesn't support iAds.

As for Lua, I think Gendai Games should be more open with the code that GameSalad generates. Make it a community project, so that things get developed more quickly. The real strength of GameSalad is not the code it makes. Rather, it's the speed and ease of how it makes that code.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    GameSalad technically makes no code. It's an interpreter of XML rules defined via the GS Creator. We all use exactly the same game engine, we just define different rules for the actors.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    gyroscope said:
    ... My Behaviors ...
    The only thing is you can't delete them from the folder at the moment.

You can manually. Just view the contents of your .gameproj file and delete the crap in the "behaviors" folder. You may want to back-up your project before doing any of this though...just in case.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    The thing that I want to know is if we will need a premium account to get iAd and GameCenter. I know I don't plan on paying $2000 for it.
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    BIG PICTURE? July? Anyone?