FireTV app rejections or development issues? Let us (and Amazon) know here!

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited March 2015

looks like i got approved!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UG15ECM/ref=mas_ty

@dgackey @BlackCloakGS and it looks like they registered my remote / game controller support without any problems

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Finally Jon!!! I know your excited! Congrats!!!

@KillerPenguinStudios said:
    Okay, awesome! I noticed that it zooms up on the image but it never filled the whole screen. It had the image zoomed up in the middle with black bars on each side. It's not a huge issue as it only shows for a second but still annoying!

check out this video, you can see the 'loading' screen i created for the publishing page, which goes right into the real splash screen in scene 1:

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

Multiplayer Amazon Fire TV Issue :

I have a Multiplayer (2 player game) that works great when running in GameSalad on my Mac.

Player 1 – Xbox Controller 1
    Player 2 – Xbox Controller 2

I am using 2 Xbox 360 wireless controllers connected to my Mac and the Amazon Fire TV.

The problem is that when I side load and game on my Amazon Fire TV the Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers return all 4-controller position as active (Player 1 to 4). The Fire TV Remote is assigned position 5 (Player 5).

My game:
    Player 1 – Unassigned
    Player 2 – Xbox Controller 1
    Player 3 – Xbox Controller 2
    Player 4 – Unassigned
    Player 5 – Fire TV Remote

My Test App:
    I wrote a separate app just to test the Controllers assignments
    Player 1 – Xbox Controller 1
    Player 2 – Xbox Controller 2
    Player 3 – Unassigned
    Player 4 – Unassigned
    Player 5 – Fire TV Remote

I don’t know why my game is allocating Controllers starting with Player 2 instead of Player 1?

Both the Game and the Test App have “Multiplayer” selected. I use to have key mappings in my Game but I re-coded the Game to remove the Key Mappings.

Not sure how to proceed? I don’t want to hard code starting with Player 2 because it may be different if using a Amazon Fire Controller. Then what about all the people that want to save money and use there existing Xbox 360 wireless controllers?

Is this a bug in the GamesSalad?
    Anyone else having problems with Multiplayer? Any suggestions? Help!!

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited March 2015

This is an issue with the FireTv and the wireless Xbox 360 controller.

When i get some time to work on the joystick lib i will see if there is any more data i can key off to help sort out that issue. However, i ask android what all controllers are connected and it reports back all the xbox 360 wireless controllers are connected. Even though they may not be.

• blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505

Hi correct me if some of these aren't bugs and just my fault but recently I'm getting these issues:
    Some of my menus work perfectly in the viewer but when I test on a fire TV they won't change scenes when a button is pressed. It's a simple change scene but it doesn't work on fire TV.
    Also the player.start button which I heard translated to the back button on the fire TV remote is triggered by the menu button, not the back button.
    Lastly, Having a rule that says: when player.button a is pressed, or player.start button is pressed, change scene - only reacts to the start (menu) button. Pressing the a button or center button does nothing
    That's all at the moment. Thanks

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

edited March 2015

@blue_elephant said:
    Hi correct me if some of these aren't bugs and just my fault but recently I'm getting these issues:
    Some of my menus work perfectly in the viewer but when I test on a fire TV they won't >change scenes when a button is pressed. It's a simple change scene but it doesn't work >on fire TV.

You can not change scenes directly off button press see known issues in the release notes.

Also the player.start button which I heard translated to the back button on the fire TV >remote is triggered by the menu button, not the back button.

The player.start is the android menu button NOT the back button.

Lastly, Having a rule that says: when player.button a is pressed, or player.start button >is pressed, change scene - only reacts to the start (menu) button. Pressing the a button >or center button does nothing
    That's all at the moment. Thanks

You can not change scenes directly off button press see known issues in the release notes.

edited March 2015

@BlackCloakGS It worked in other menus
    I have them highlighted and everything, what do you mean?
    Okay I understand about the menu button, so there's no way to use the back button then?

Not right now

@BlackCloakGS said:

The wierd thing is, the change scene works when the app is first opened - I press a/center and it goes to the game. Then I play the game, go back to the menu, and it doesn't work.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    This is an issue with the FireTv and the wireless Xbox 360 controller.

When i get some time to work on the joystick lib i will see if there is any more data i can key off to help sort out that issue. However, i ask android what all controllers are connected and it reports back all the xbox 360 wireless controllers are connected. Even though they may not be.

Ok Thanks - I will just put a kludge in to check for a PID = 654 and start with Player 2.
    Hopefully it should cover some of the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers.

PID won't work on the FireTV they did not introduced it till kit kat. You will have to go off the name.

edited March 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    PID won't work on the FireTV they did not introduced it till kit kat. You will have to go off the name.

"game.Players.Player 1.Joystick.Name" do not work in Rule to compare text.

can not assign a Text Attribute to "game.Players.Player 1.Joystick.Name" value is "Unknown"

Only thing I have been able to do is use Display Text on "game.Players.Player 1.Joystick.Name"

I can not go off the Name. Any suggestions?

File a bug and I will see what I can do.

• okpcokpc Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2015

when i upload the apk file to amazon. it always said "Without controller support, your app will fail testing for this device and will delay launch on Amazon Appstore." for no Fire TV support. i had clean all touch setup and set the key map and click on Fire TV Remote Supported.

@okpc said:
    when i upload the apk file to amazon. it always said "Without controller support, your app will fail testing for this device and will delay launch on Amazon Appstore." for no Fire TV support. i had clean all touch setup and set the key map and click on Fire TV Remote Supported.

i think this is just a generic message, it appears when you click the 'what devices are supported' section right? That will come up even if you have not uploaded the APK yet.

the proper way for handling scene changes is to have the button trigger an attribute change, and use that as the change scene rule. The problem is if you have the scene change on multiple scenes based on a button press, it can trigger all of them at once.

the menu button is the pause button, not the back button as BC said.

i had a whole number of issues with triggering interpolations based on the button presses, they trigger so fast that multiple rules can fire. You really need to rethink some of the logic, the same rules that worked perfectly for Touch don't always translate.

@jonmulcahy okay got it. It's strange cause my last game worked perfectly with multiple scenes. Maybe I put in some attribute.
    It should be easy to fix though now so thanks for the help.

@BobD said:
    I can not go off the Name. Any suggestions?

Sorry - I made a mistake apparently the text returned from the Fire TV are not the same text from within GameSalad on the Mac.

The Fire TV returns "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver"

GameSalad returns "Wireless 360 Controller"

That was why my compare did not match.

I stand corrected RULE does work to compare "game.Player 1.Joystick.Name"

• AidenolfertAidenolfert Member Posts: 2

@BlackCloakGS I'm having problems with GS and viewer in 13.7 it is stuck on loading and will just go on to crash any tips? :s

• lkmadlkmad Member Posts: 117

@jonmulcahy said:

looks so beautiful :) congrats!!!

@BobD @blue_elephant We just pushed new binaries that fix the sound not pausing on hibernate. Please regenerate you apps on 0.13.7 to take advantage of the update.

edited March 2015

@jonmulcahy @BlackCloakGS I changed my buttons to change scenes with attributes but I'm still having problems. All the scenes work fine but when I go back to the menu it is frozen.
    Here's my general code:
    If button a is pressed {
    And highlight attribute is true for this button

-Change self. pressed to true
    }

After that - if self.pressed is true{
    -change scene
    }

Also note I tried changing the self. pressed to false when the scene is opened but that didn't help.
    What am I doing wrong?

@blue_elephant said:
    jonmulcahy BlackCloakGS I changed my buttons to change scenes with attributes but I'm still having problems. All the scenes work fine but when I go back to the menu it is frozen.
    Here's my general code:
    If button a is pressed {
    And highlight attribute is true for this button

-Change self. pressed to true
    }

After that - if self.pressed is true{
    -change scene
    }

Also note I tried changing the self. pressed to false when the scene is opened but that didn't help.
    What am I doing wrong?

i would do

if self.pressed is true
    change self.pressed to false
    after 0.1 seconds (run to completion turned on)
    change scene

@jonmulcahy Thanks it seems to be working so far!

edited March 2015

So, I submitted my app last night for the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick and woke up this morning and was surprised to see that it was approved in under 6 hours! Did a port of "Little Viking: Dungeon Of Doom" to Amazon. Took about a week to port it and fix and change things and make it run right! Lots of testing went into this as well!

amazon.com/gp/product/B00UWDXZ5M

Issue with "Menu" button not responding. I was getting rejected with "Menu" button not responding. I had the Change Scene within a Timer. But it still got hung.

FTY - I noticed that the default for Change Scene was "Enable Advertisement" Unchecking this seams to have resolved the "Menu" button not responding issue.

I am resubmitting and hope it passes.

Good luck @BobD keep us informed!¡!

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

I'm getting close to submitting my first Game to FireTV but I have so many things going on in the game. My biggest issue is trying to use the A button for every thing from changing scenes to game selections but I think I finally got it all working it's been quiet the chore not to mention the current slowness of GS.

App rejected!!
    Bug Description:
    Steps to Reproduce:

1. Install and launch app
    2. Select " Instructions"
    3. Select " Continue"
    4. Play Game till you loose lives
    5. Press [Menu] button to restart the game
      Actual result : App does not respond to controller input , the app freezes and the user needs to force stop to restart the gameplay
      Expected result : App should respond to controller input and app should not freeze.

Controllers:
    Remote
    Gamepad

Devices:
    Amazon Fire TV
    Amazon Fire TV Stick

I am going to try to eliminate the requirement for selecting the "Menu" button from the UI. Time to rethink how to allow the user to restart the game "Maybe just have a automatic count down timer that will auto restart".