I'll replace the GS loading image in your apps for $50/app

Comments

• chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Also @ Photics.. GS didn't say barkbark couldn't do that... They said, we'd rather you not.. But ultimately its his choice...
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Gendai have the right to price it and put it in what they feel is right.
    We have a right to stay express, upgrade to pro or leave them altogether for alternatives.

What really pisses me off though is the toal lack of communication from Gendai. Why didnt they state from the word go that iAds would be Pro only? They lacked any real updates of significance for a while, told us iAds was on its way and then give us a good kick in the teeth by telling us its Pro only. There was enough discussion on the forums where one yellow post would have set everything clear!
    Everything they ever say is the bare minimum and never really commit with what they say, fair enough people dont want to be let down but always guessing is a lot worse!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    "I want to replace/delete the GS loading screen"..."We'd rather you didn't do that"....."shrug".

I agree with you, beefy_clyro, it was out of order for Gendai not to mention iAds was for Pro only.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    @beefy_clyro +1 i demand that gs make an area in the forums only for questions to the admins.
    This is becoming rediculous.
    On a side not, beefy I like your new icon!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Chunkypixels said:
    quote "GameSalad ends up losing money if Pro users start doing that. I'm not sure if GameSalad can say no either. Is it really pro software if you can't make or modify apps for clients?"

I think it depends on who your clients are....

In this case people are talking about using Gendai's own software to basically steal their paying clients from them. I think this is where it becomes dubious and dishonest, and possibly even illegal.

I think you'd be perfectly in your rights to create,develop and modify products for customers who arent also their customers, but whats being discussed here is different.

I think you and I are on the same page here. Photics, I think this post by Chunky puts it a lot better than I could.

As to 'Is it ethical to sell beta software at $1999?' - of course it is. No-one is forcing you to buy and use the software. That is your choice. Beta or not, you know the situation, and you're going in with your eyes open.

Cheers,

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    giacomopoppi said:
    @beefy_clyro +1 i demand that gs make an area in the forums only for questions to the admins.
    This is becoming rediculous.

Direct Customer Support...Pro Only
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    @QS, I read everything up to your muffin post... ;-)

Assuming you were domestically inclined, if you had the recipe for making muffins that were as good or better than the coffee shop's, would you still pay for the over priced muffin? That doesn't mean you don't still frequent the cafe for their signature coffee blends... ;-)

I understand where everyone that is against this is coming from. However, I think the "car modification" allegory fits well; I am simply offering to swap your car's emblem...

Also, I am not hacking. I'm modifying MY .app resources (or your's)...

Is that MORE wrong because we both have the same make vehicle? No.
    barkbark - up to this whole iAd thing, I had no problem with you at all.

If you could do this all this time (remove the splash screen) why haven't you? What stopped you doing it? What stopped you offering this service?

You know it's wrong. It's Darkside, dude.

And I know why you're doing it. You're angry, your pissed off at Gendai, you want to hit back.

Sounds a little childish, doesn't it? Sounds like someone's whining 'That's not fair!' :*(

But I really hope you back down on this, fella. It's not the way.

Be well, whatever you decide, and with whatever analogy you choose to fit what you're doing!

QS :D

@Rob2 oh? so then we cant speak to the admins. this is fucking retarded.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    You're right. I'm believe I'm responding in kind to Gendai's actions.

And to tshirt, market opinion CAN change company policy...
    GS , less than 3 month ago i was adoring you, now its much like the opposite. there are many problems that need sorting out and we should have the right to discuss stuff with you admins.
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    Im not too impressed with this post, I think Ill come clean and post on Microsoft.com that I don't pay for Windows! lol just jesting I am a Mac but you get the point.

Nothing good will come of this..
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    quantumsheep said:
    As to 'Is it ethical to sell beta software at $1999?' - of course it is. No-one is forcing you to buy and use the software. That is your choice. Beta or not, you know the situation, and you're going in with your eyes open.

I don't know. So far I feel like this is the modern day equivalent of the gold rush. We're fed a lot of hype and then we keep hitting problems... and more problems... and more problems. "But maybe I spend more money I'll start to make more money!" When does the circle end?

From what I know of the old Californian gold rush, it wasn't really the diggers that made money. It was the ones selling the shovels. Perhaps that's the lesson in this.

Maybe I should stop digging and start writing... I should get back to my book project... you guys need more shovels. :-D

$1999 per year is not game creation for the rest of us.
    @AppChogie probably not, but something must be done... :S
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Well said Photics.
    Photics said:
    you guys need more shovels.

HAhah

Also TShirt himself has said he was probably going to go express after his expires.. If he doesn't need Pro to make money, neither do we...
    Bottom Line is right now GS has a monopoly on the GUI iPhone programmer... They need competition...
    @giacomopoppi G you know me mate, what has got in to you? you are so talented at GS and I know you love making games. I know you was looking forward to iAds to make quick money but look at how much you made on doodle copter and that took 2 hours to make. We have been working on Undead Fred for a year!!! and it's not finished, thats commitment to the hobby.

Stop this anti lobbying be respected amongst your peers. XD
    @ choosenone...
    I think you will find that competition showing up sooner than later. It will be an interesting day when open source GUI iPhone game development arrives. :)

[ anyone hear crickets yet? ]
    Photics said:
    $1999 per year is not game creation for the rest of us.

You're doing what a lot of people are and misrepresenting what GameSalad is.

GameSalad is a FREE tool that allows you to make games. That IS game creation for the rest of us.

If you choose to pay to get an express license, or a pro license, with the added benefits those represent, that is up to you. You certainly have a right to see it as a money making tool if you so wish.

But it's not called 'Money making tool' - it's called GAMEsalad. You make games with it! And the base product, the actual game making editor is free and IS game creation for the rest of us.

We could go on all night, couldn't we?

BTW - I'd skip the shovels and go onto the diggers - they're much more efficient :D

QS

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    synthesis said:
    @ choosenone...
    I think you will find that competition showing up sooner than later. It will be an interesting day when open source GUI iPhone game development arrives. :)

[ anyone hear crickets yet? ]

Google have already started the ball rolling... wonder how long it will be before Apple releases their own one? They are, after all, the kings of user-friendly software...
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    quantumsheep said:
    You're doing what a lot of people are and misrepresenting what GameSalad is.

GameSalad is a FREE tool that allows you to make games. That IS game creation for the rest of us.

If you choose to pay to get an express license, or a pro license, with the added benefits those represent, that is up to you. You certainly have a right to see it as a money making tool if you so wish.

OKAY, EXACTLY! The right words, on the nose.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    design219 said:
    OKAY, EXACTLY! The right words, on the nose.

What is it with you and noses? :P
    @ tshirtbooth I agree with what your saying but not how you are doing it mate. I respect you and regularly watch your YouTube videos but you obviously do this full time now and congrats but everyone is at a different level of being a developer and saying for people to make good games then they will sell is right but Im sure that people think there games are good! and try there best.

Now you have a winning formula you have had some success as a part time developer $20,000 is very good but if I did this full time and quit my job for it then $20,000 would be my 6 month budget for graphics, sound, licences etc. and lets be fair you get free advertising only today your game appeared in GS new video on the main page. Now for GS it shows what people are making and I think your game is awesome but its a leg up over everyone else. Would I do the same yes but i would not be boasting my revenue in every thread, and there has been a few. Your successful we know in (GS terms) but you have become someone that the younger members look up to and admire, try supporting the community that fuels your fame. XD

I mean none of the above with disrespect.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    I was just about to post exactly what you just said Mr.Sheep...

People seem to confuse the ability to create a game with the ability to make money....
    @ Poly...
    I estimate within a year.
    My hunch is...its either in development right now...or Apple will buy GS or some other company already started in it. Or the open source people will push one out. I think Corona is working on one...or something similar...but that's just speculation. They make a soft suggestion to it in their FAQs.

With Google' new platform now out there...its going to get a lot of press and spawn a lot of major companies to initiate similar types. Companies like PALM, Apple, Microsoft...etc. will quickly follow suit if Google starts gaining ground on Apple as a result of App Inventor.

Again...Gendai's Monopoly is probably going to only last another 6-8 months at the most. Keep your eye's peeled. Alternatives are coming.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    quantumsheep said:
    But it's not called 'Money making tool' - it's called GAMEsalad.

To ignore the money making aspects of this software is like ignoring the elephant in the room.
    @AppChogie... TShirt wasn't boasting... Hes trying to make a point... He's actually one of the most humble and helpful people on the forums..
    @Chosenonestudios I know that he helps a lot and with tutorials I said that I even watch them its the way "Ive made this you can to if your games are good", which is ok but I can win the lottery doesn't mean I will and it doesn't stop me buying a ticket and hoping. Even EA made a few pump games for the iPhone.