I'll replace the GS loading image in your apps for $50/app

1235»

Comments

• BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    To clarify, by "closing up shop" I mean I've stopped selling this as a service. I'm sure this'll disappoint some of you, but I'm not actually going away! I DO plan to to stick around and exhaust the remainder of my GS Express membership. If things with Gendai turn around, I may renew/upgrade in the future.

I would, however, really appreciate an answer from GS speaking to their stance on pro members providing "pro" enhancements à la carte. They never actually came out and said I couldn't do what I was offering, so maybe they are not as uptight about it as we might have thought.
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    I think some of you are forgetting the main focus here; Gendai Games is a business, plain and simple. I'm sure as much as they would love for us to have everything they made for free, the cold hard facts is that they can't if they want to succeed as a company.

While I do agree that $1999 is steep for a Pro membership, it is reasonable for them to price it like that for an income, it's their product and if they feel it is worth that value, then so be it. Considering that I can probably assume that GameSalad express is not exactly selling thousands and thousands of units, to make up for costs they have to charge more. I'm surprised express costs the price it is.

If GameSalad was in fact selling thousands of units constantly, then we could see the Pro version much cheaper, but in reality, it's probably not like that. They are a company, with employees and other duties that require money.

Also, what the hell is wrong with everyone! What happened to all the love we used to have here!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Absolutely right, Nexus.

I think the love evaporated with the arrival of iAds. It's really split the community i fear :(

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Hopefully once people start seeing what little income iAds make, and how overblown this thing is, we can all go back to creating great games.
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    While I do like the idea of iAd's, even if I did have a Pro membership, I would not want my game to feature Ad's, just another form of clutter that takes away from immersion. I make games for players to have fun with, not to be punched in the face with blatant ad's just so I can make that extra penny.

And yes QS, ever since the mention of iAd's, it has had almost everyone on the fritz.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    butterbean said:
    Hopefully once people start seeing what little income iAds make, and how overblown this thing is, we can all go back to creating great games.

Yeah, that' the shame of this whole argument. iAds are not going to do much for the vast majority of developers.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    WHAT!?! I can't get rich off having iAds in my game!?! Darn you Gendai for not telling us of this before. I curse thee!!!

/end sarcasm
    Hey maybe make a game called AD Jump and instead of jumping on clouds you jump on ADs! Genius! Pure Genius!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Actually, well said, in my opinion, xSlamGx! :-}
    JGary321 said:
    Hey maybe make a game called AD Jump and instead of jumping on clouds you jump on ADs! Genius! Pure Genius!

Excellent idea! We could also encourage Apple to get a further new system up and running called MeAds! That way, I could sell an old typewriter I have; my car's almost on it's ways out, shift that along; the printer worth a tenth of the cost of cartridges, but might make a couple of pounds....

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

JGary321 said:

I'll take that idea my good man!!!

/writes you a cheque for a billion* dollars!

Cheers!

QS :D

*Zimbabwean

• JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I wonder how many of the people whining about price and using ethics as an justifucation for theft have 3k in torrented adobe
    Software on their machine.
    JGary321 said:

Damn, you always have the best ideas!! :)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    JamesZeppelin said:
    I wonder how many of the people whining about price and using ethics as an justifucation for theft have 3k in torrented adobe
    Software on their machine.

Why is it an all or nothing discussion? Is it not good business sense to meet the needs of your customers? Clearly there's room for some middle ground between $99 and $1999.

... and I bought my copy of Adobe CS4 Design Premium. I acquired it over a decade... first Macromedia Flash 4... then upgrade to Studio 8... and then upgrade to CS4. I couldn't afford to upgrade at every version. But by purchasing during opportunities for substantial discounts, I was able to get the software. What was the alternative for Adobe? I don't need to steal to find alternatives. There are plenty of open source programs that I could use. And for a while, I was using Corel Draw Essentials. I think that was like $99.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Well the way in which we were told about iAds, and then had it delivered is what has split this community. I feel this has got way out of hand and has turned us against each other. This is natural as people have emotions and feel strongly about things, we are all hear to make games, whether it be for your hobby and pride or to try and make money. The fact is we have had our hopes built up by Gendai, just for us to be left feeling short. I remember this feeling a couple of times before with Gendai and im sure many others have too, it just seems as this was our 1st significant update in a while, that feeling of disappointment is just boiling over. Lets try and stick together hear guys and guys, i suspect the majority of us wont be going pro anytime soon and many pro users wont renew, we're all going to need each others help to make the best games 'WE' possibly can! My fear for the future is now going to be; as much as i love GameSalad, i can see i will need to seek alternatives as unfortunately with iAds being pro only, i can see much the same for in app purchases and game centre! Even with all that, $1999 is still a hefty lump sum upfront!
    Agree with you there, beefy.

See? Unity already! (not *that* Unity!).

You seem to be releasing a steady stream of games, mate - pretty soon, you might look at the 2k as though it's nothing ;)

QS :D

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    haha i wish fella, if i was on TSB's earnings i probably would upgrade, but as is, im keeping my wallet closed ;)
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    You can have my Unity license... FOR A PRICE. LOL
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    BarkBark, dont tell people how to do it... They'll only close the loop and if everybody knows how to do it, they'll just get pissed.. I hope you don't reveal this as it shouldn't be used... We don't need to make more work for them, for something that everybody shouldn't know about anyway...
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    For the love of God...
    let this thread die out.

THREAD SUMMARY
    1: PEOPLE WANT IADS IN EXPRESS VERSION
    2: PEOPLE WANT CHEAPER PRO VERSION (OR NO PRO VERSION)
    3: YOU CAN HACK GS TO ALLOW YOUR OWN SPLASH SCREEN
    4: HACKING IS A VIOLATION OF THE TOS
    5: PEOPLE ARE CHOOSING SIDES ON MORALITY

So go make some games and quit wasting time talking in circles.
    I was asking him to not to tell people how to change the image... Seeing as how I was the only one that asked that, I think what I said was fine...
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    synthesis said:

'nuff said.
    synthesis said:
    For the love of God...
    let this thread die out.

THREAD SUMMARY
    1: PEOPLE WANT IADS IN EXPRESS VERSION
    2: PEOPLE WANT CHEAPER PRO VERSION (OR NO PRO VERSION)
    3: YOU CAN HACK GS TO ALLOW YOUR OWN SPLASH SCREEN
    4: HACKING IS A VIOLATION OF THE TOS
    5: PEOPLE ARE CHOOSING SIDES ON MORALITY

THANK YOU
    Like this?

POLYGAMe said:
    Like this?

If that was your way of letting the thread die, its working...

(Yourwelcome for the free advertising)
    `JGary crits for 4,303,869 damage on super long useless thread`

DEAD
    chosenonestudios said:
    If that was your way of letting the thread die, its working...

(Yourwelcome for the free advertising)

Not sure if that's a complement or not... :P
    Idk ether... I not sooo samrt