• Bugsplat now automatically sends crash reports

• Increased general engine stability

We have removed the following deprecated behaviors
Mac: InAppPurchaseItem and InAppRestoreItem

Contains all the fixes from 0.13.33

Get the build now

Comments

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

Whoever did the new icons, good job! They look beautiful... whoever did this should get the rest of the day off an hour of freedom to check their Facebook account. >:)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Installed it the moment the notification popped up. Looking great!

• GameAlchemistGameAlchemist Member Posts: 106

Cool update, well does it mean that there will be less load times and minimum lag(if there is any)? Because that would open more capabilities for bigger games.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Very nice looking. Great job again!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@QASalad said:
    Fixed memory leaks with published apps

No way! So pumped to give this a try!

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

:# Not good. The images in my portrait game are blurry and the purchase callback doesn't work. Testing on an iPad Air 2 and comparing to build .33

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Love the updated icons! It's the simple UI changes that really get me excited! :D

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited August 2015

@QASalad said:

Mac Creator Release 0.13.34 is available

Fixes:

Fixed memory leaks with published apps

So, is there a more detailed release notes on this one? My curiosity has me, well, ...curious as to what exactly changed.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios Apps, especially larger games, have been experiencing memory build over time especially in changing scenes. This has resulted in choppy gameplay when during longer play sessions. I believe this is the fix they are referring to.

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    AlchimiaStudios Apps, especially larger games, have been experiencing memory build over time especially in changing scenes. This has resulted in choppy gameplay when during longer play sessions. I believe this is the fix they are referring to.

I just meant more specific. Such as what behaviours ended up causing/what ended up being fixed. I know tables were thought to be the culprit, but I read they seemed to be fixed a couple of iterations ago.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    So, is there a more detailed release notes on this one? My curiosity has me, well, ...curious as to what exactly changed.

@GeorgeGS can elaborate a little more but it's the culmination of several weeks of finding & fixing long-running memory leaks that were plaguing larger projects.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

edited August 2015

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Love the updated icons! It's the simple UI changes that really get me excited! :D

+1 The little UI changes are starting to add up!

@dgackey said:

Thanks!

edited August 2015

@BlackCloakGS - I'm finding that the animate behavior does not fire in a timer with the "every" condition selected. I think I remember seeing this reported a while ago. This bug is still present in this latest version.

@Braydon_SFX is this in Bugzilla?

The closest one I could see was: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=901 but wanted to make sure. If this looks like your issue, could you attach a sample project that reproduces the bug?

@dgackey said:
    Braydon_SFX is this in Bugzilla?

The closest one I could see was: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=901 but wanted to make sure. If this looks like your issue, could you attach a sample project that reproduces the bug?

Don't think that's the issue - my animation behavior won't even run in the "every" timer.
    I'll create a new bug and attack a demo project.

@Braydon_SFX thanks!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2015

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Don't think that's the issue - my animation behavior won't even run in the "every" timer.

It works if you wrap the animation behaviour in an 'After 0 seconds' timer - of the two versions below, the top one runs as expected, the bottom one doesn't work at all (like Braydon_SFX says).

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    I just meant more specific. Such as what behaviours ended up causing/what ended up being fixed. I know tables were thought to be the culprit, but I read they seemed to be fixed a couple of iterations ago.

Tables weren't any part of the problem. It's possible they were in the past, but I didn't see any issues with them now.

The biggest problem was that actors weren't always being cleaned up completely when the scene changed. If you had a lot of actors or they were large for some reason like they had a lot of attributes then the leftover memory accumulated faster until eventually you ran out and the app was closed by the operating system on the device.

We use Lua in our engine which uses a garbage collector to clean things up when they aren't referenced anymore, so the fix was to make sure all of the references were broken or that they were "weak" so that they wouldn't stop something from being cleaned up.

The flipside is that we then needed to fix some things to not unload unexpectedly inside Creator for the Mac or in the native previewers which delayed things a couple of days.

I'm hoping that this fixes all of the memory issues you guys have been seeing, but if you think you've got a memory problem in the future we're happy to look into it.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited August 2015

Why do you need to run an animation in an 'every' timer? What kind of effect are you trying create?

All my images are blurry in this version as well.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Looking great guys!

@GeorgeGS I tested this version in Memory Allocations through Xcode. So far it tests the same as a version published from previous builds. First level game is using about 24mbs and then goes up 1 MB after every scene change. I do not however know if this means anything since it is testing over a short period of time.
    My issue of choppiness always came after long long play periods where the app never shut down on the device. Hopefully I won't notice any of those issues now.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    GeorgeGS I tested this version in Memory Allocations through Xcode. So far it tests the same as a version published from previous builds. First level game is using about 24mbs and then goes up 1 MB after every scene change. I do not however know if this means anything since it is testing over a short period of time.
    My issue of choppiness always came after long long play periods where the app never shut down on the device. Hopefully I won't notice any of those issues now.

That is nothing as to memory. If you are not preloading images that would be a reasonable increase as when the scene changes those images will be loaded.

edited August 2015

I like the new icons, very nice, it's a small change, but it looks much cleaner / more modern !! :)

What would really make a difference to the interface (visually at least) would be able to better see your image assets than we currently can . . . the way GameSalad works encourages the use of white image assets, white image assets can be recoloured within GameSalad, so if you want flashing colours or user defined coloured fonts or any graphic elements that take advantage of GS's colour capabilities - like a painting app where you would import the brush shapes as white images on a transparent B/G and allow the user to select the colour they paint in - (and so on), for all this stuff you need to author your assets in white . . . it's a great system, it works really well, and allows a ton of flexibility where white authored actors can be manipulated in all sorts of useful ways . . . . but, the problem is you can't see white image assets in the Image assets window, if the Image assets window background colour could be changed to something more forgiving (for example a pale neutral grey) users would be able to visually scan through their image assets, at the moment if you are taking advantage of GS's capabilities with white image assets you are effectively limited to a text display as the images disappear, which makes locating images in a large project very difficult - it's hard enough not having folders, but then having your images invisible only compounds the issue !!

See my images below, you can see the difference changing the background colour would have.

Current:

Neutral Grey:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Socks said:
    I like the new icons, very nice, it's a small change, but it looks much cleaner / more modern !! :)

What would really make a difference to the interface (visually at least) would be able to better see your image assets than we currently can . . . the way GameSalad works encourages the use of white image assets, white image assets can be recoloured within GameSalad, so if you want flashing colours or user defined coloured fonts or any graphic elements that take advantage of GS's colour capabilities - like a painting app where you would import the brush shapes as white images on a transparent B/G and allow the user to select the colour they paint in - (and so on), for all this stuff you need to author your assets in white . . . it's a great system, it works really well, and allows a ton of flexibility where white authored actors can be manipulated in all sorts of useful ways . . . . but, the problem is you can't see white image assets in image assets window, if the image assets window background colour could be changed to something more forgiving (for example a pale neutral grey) users would be able to visually scan through their image assets, at the movement if you are taking advantage of GS's capabilities with white image assets you are effectively limited to a text display as the images disappear, which makes locating images in a large project difficult - it's hard enough not having folders, but then having your images invisible only compounds the issue !!

See my images below, you can see the difference changing the background colour would have.

Current:

Neutral Grey"

Me likey!

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Socks really really good point! Having white or bright images in the image library can be really annoying, same goes for the animate and change image behavior. A grayish tinted background would be a great solution.

@Socks - Like it!

I've actually really been itching for a complete UI re-design for GS. Darker, more modern and game/scene level options available wherever you are inside GS. Much like Adobe products.

*Runs behind cover

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Me likey!

@Approw said:
    Socks really really good point! Having white or bright images in the image library can be really annoying, same goes for the animate and change image behavior. A grayish tinted background would be a great solution.

Agreed, the Change Image behaviour actually already does have a pale grey background, but it's so subtle as to be barely distinguishable from white, but yes all the places where images are displayed would really benefit from a background that allows users to see white image assets.

The Actors window is another example, drag a white image asset in there and it effectively disappears into the white B/G.