Mac Creator Release 0.13.34 is available

Comments

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Accepted @dgackey no disrespect intended to you guys and your hard work.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Hymloe said:
    GeorgeGS Did you happen to notice, was there any correlation between this fix, and the "slow table import" / slow Copy Table behaviour issues? Or no apparent connection?

I didn't need to change any table code, so I doubt it's any different. I'll try and take a look at it soon, but I have a few things on my plate atm.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@lycettebros said:
    Accepted dgackey no disrespect intended to you guys and your hard work.

No worries, just wanted to let you guys know we didn't just dismiss the idea.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Did some testing tonight. My game that hasn't been able to run on ipad 2/mini first gen for awhile seems to be performing fine. 0 crashes. Memory usage is down enough it doesn't give warnings anymore on instruments.

One issue though, I also have the blurry image issue like others in this thread.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• macc_arenamacc_arena Member, PRO Posts: 6

Does anyone have a problem at Request Purchase Data with this update? I tested this function yesterday and worked well, but after I update it seem doesn't work.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

Great to hear the fixes with memory @AlchimiaStudios ! I am very pleased with the insane amount of hard work the GS staff has been putting in as of late. @BlackCloakGS @dgackey @GeorgeGS Sounds like blurry images and IAP functions are the two bugs with this build, perhaps we can look into this further and put the image library BG color on hold?

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219

Blurry images for me too.

Please fix.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@GeorgeGS said:
    Instruments cannot give you an accurate count of the memory in use by the player anymore due to some of the changes made to support 64-bit on iOS. You could be using 500mb and it would show you somewhere between 20 and 40.

Are you talking about the viewer? You should be able to see what a native app is drawing with instruments.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@dgackey said:
    Can it be changed? Of course. With enough time, anything can be. But it's not a 30 second change that you might think, and as such, not as high of a priority as lots of other issues as a result.

That's what I was thinking, if it takes focus away from more pressing issues then now is probably not the time to be addressing these sorts of things, like I say above my hope was that because it was 'only' a background colour change (!) it would be something that could be looked at without distracting GS away from the more important stuff, but I appreciate you (and @BlackCloakGS and @GeorgeGS) taking a look.

Workaround for people with lots of white actors, click in the Image assets window and then select-all (Cmd + A), this will place a grey box around each actor making it easier to see what you are working with.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Not being arsey, genuinely interested - but if it's a IKImageBrowserView then what makes it so difficult to change? Those can be recoloured with a single line?

edited August 2015

@dgackey said:
    Can it be changed? Of course. With enough time, anything can be. But it's not a 30 second change that you might think, and as such, not as high of a priority as lots of other issues as a result.

Now maybe we can all agree here things are not a five minute change as is the supposition so often. It's clear the creator architecture was not designed with any forward thinking. If they had originally used interface designer pointing to .nib files UI mods would he easy and could even be third party developed. The current creator requires, to me anyway, the constant shoe horning of things. This is why I was a big supporter of Graphine. That software contained a forward thinking adaptable codebase. We as a community need to except the fact that this will need to happen at some point period. It's a shame the current situation caused this work to stop. I hope at some point they will have a stronger ledger to hire more talented coders.

Also, I want to acknowledge that the current staff is not to blame for the architecture of creator. That was formed long ago.

I half agree with what @Lost_Oasis_Games says, but I'd prefer see a ground-up rewrite of GameSalad, keeping the same general principles and methods, just allowing more flexibility and additions of new features quicker.

edited August 2015

@Armelline said:
    I half agree with what Lost_Oasis_Games says, but I'd prefer see a ground-up rewrite of GameSalad, keeping the same general principles and methods, just allowing more flexibility and additions of new features quicker.

The question is, "is that a feasable assumption?" I'm no expert in software architecture, nor do I play one on television, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I ask questions in this regard. Although, in principle, I do agree with you.

• clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    edited August 2015

@macc_arena said:
    Does anyone have a problem at Request Purchase Data with this update? I tested this function yesterday and worked well, but after I update it seem doesn't work.

@macc_arena I assume I'm having the same issue. I updated my Android versions of a production game that doesn't use the deprecated IAP behaviours and suddenly none of my IAPs are working in production. Stupid of me to just throw an update up like this I know, but I here I am...

@GeorgeGS a little help please? I logged http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1324

• clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194

Confirmed that in 0.13.32 build, the IAPs work as expected. Issue seems to only be in the 0.13.34.0 build.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@BlackCloakGS @GeorgeGS @dgackey Still i am getting this error in Amazon...first time i published Successfully,and Released app one month back with 0.13.32,now i am updating with some minor changes now it is giving this error...please help me in this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@NimbleBug we can't reproduce this issue you will need to get the exact reason from amazon before i can help

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Are you talking about the viewer? You should be able to see what a native app is drawing with instruments.

I'm talking about published apps and specifically the allocations instrument which is what I've seen screenshots posted of in the past when y'all were pointing out memory issues.

The allocations tracker will never show the actual total memory use because it doesn't seem to see allocations from lua or textures that are in use. That's generally 50-80% of the memory in use at any time.

The Real Mem stat in the activity monitor is closer to accurate, but still looks a little lower than what I'd see in Xcode if I turn off the fancy lua allocator that is required for 64-bit. It's also possible that the fancy allocator is a little more efficient or that a release build is just a bit smaller since most of my testing while figuring out what was going in was in a debug build.

The bottom line is you're probably never going to see the same picture I would see since it requires a source code change and isn't something we would ever be able to publish. What you should see in the activity monitor is most likely close enough and you'll be able to see that as you change scenes the memory may ramp up a bit as some things are cached but it will plateau and have some dips on scene change as the old data is discarded and the new data is loaded.

The two test games I was using would easily hit 550-600mb after just a few scenes and because of that they would be terminated. Both of those games now plateau at 200-230mb and can be played through hundreds of scene changes while the memory remains stable.

@Armelline said:
    Not being arsey, genuinely interested - but if it's a IKImageBrowserView then what makes it so difficult to change? Those can be recoloured with a single line?

Curious about this too. Seems fairly straight forward. Are the ikviews tied together in some cases, so it messes with other views in the creator when it's changed?

• VGXVGX Member Posts: 796

About to submit my game and when I do a testflight and adhoc its all blurry. How can I downgrade? Previous releases have been removed http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

@VeiraGX said:
    About to submit my game and when I do a testflight and adhoc its all blurry. How can I downgrade? Previous releases have been removed http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

It's going to take some time for us to research the cause. You could consider unchecking resolution independence in your project before you publish which makes the same art be used on all devices. Resolution independence generates 2x and 1x images from your original art, and if I had to make a wild guess about the issue it would be that only the lowest resolution art is being used.

Are you seeing this on all actors or just some actors? I am only seeing it on some of them as I'm researching the problem.

@GeorgeGS This burry images issue happened with a previous update a year or so ago, also seemingly at random. In that case people just had to uncheck resolution independence and it stayed that way for months (iirc) before the issue was finally acknowledged and fixed. Perhaps someone remembers what caused it last time!

• VGXVGX Member Posts: 796

@GeorgeGS All the art was blurred. Luckily I still had gs version .33 in my downloads folder. This version my art is crisp, so clearly theres an issue with .34

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited August 2015

@GeorgeGS said:
    You could consider unchecking resolution independence in your project before you publish which makes the same art be used on all devices.

What exactly do the following effect:

• Resolution Independence in Creator
    • Legacy Retina Independence on publishing

The info on this is from before the Legacy Retina Independence was actually implemented, just announced.

My impression was the following:

• that the (3x?), 2x and 1x images get created at publishing, if the LRI option on the publishing page is not checked. Checking this, leaves the art as delivered by the developer.
    • that RI in creator just scales the actors according to the art used (128x128 art dragged onto the actor panel creates an 64x64 actor), or not, depending on its selection. But has no effect on the different resolutions of art created during publishing.

Any clarification on this?

@GeorgeGS said:
    The Real Mem stat in the activity monitor is closer to accurate, but still looks a little lower than what I'd see in Xcode if I turn off the fancy lua allocator that is required for 64-bit. It's also possible that the fancy allocator is a little more efficient or that a release build is just a bit smaller since most of my testing while figuring out what was going in was in a debug build.

Good to know.

@GeorgeGS said:
    It's going to take some time for us to research the cause. You could consider unchecking resolution independence in your project before you publish which makes the same art be used on all devices. Resolution independence generates 2x and 1x images from your original art, and if I had to make a wild guess about the issue it would be that only the lowest resolution art is being used.

Are you seeing this on all actors or just some actors? I am only seeing it on some of them as I'm researching the problem.

Very possible, but im using resolution independence and even on non-retina ipad's it looks worse (as in worse then 1x in general).

On retina devices it does seem to be using lower resolution assets potentially. Activity monitor puts the mem usage at almost exactly the same usage as nonretina.

Here's how I understand it works for iOS Universal. I needed to have it explained to me this morning too. :)

Resolution Independence only: Original images are used as 3x and resized to provide 2x and 1x.
    Resolution Independence + Legacy Retina: Original images are used as 2x and resized for 1x.
    Nothing checked: Original art is used for all resolutions and the renderer/opengl just handle it.

iPhone 6+ uses 3x.
    Other retina iPhones and iPads use 2x.
    Non-Retina Devices use 1x.

Does that help at all? I assume actors are scaled based on the ratio of the actual device resolution versus the size you used in your project.

We've identified the issue with blurry images for Resolution Independent projects. We were loading the lowest resolution images in all cases.

It'll be fixed in the next version which should be released early next week.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Still experiencing frequent crashes seemingly unrelated to each other. BugSplat is sending reports automatically, correct?

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Still experiencing frequent crashes seemingly unrelated to each other. BugSplat is sending reports automatically, correct?

Yes, but I don't see any Mac crashes with your e-mail on them.