Mac Creator Release 0.13.34 is available

Comments

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    That is nothing as to memory. If you are not preloading images that would be a reasonable increase as when the scene changes those images will be loaded.

Are you saying preloading images would decrease memory buildup?

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Socks said:
    The Actors window is another example, drag a white image asset in there and it effectively disappears into the white B/G.

All of that would be solved with a dark UI design. ;)

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited August 2015

If i put a border around the images would that address this issue?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2015

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I've actually really been itching for a complete UI re-design for GS. Darker, more modern and game/scene level options available wherever you are inside GS. Much like Adobe products.

Yep, that would be wonderful, but with so much on their plate at the moment something like this would serve as a temporary fix, surely it's-only-a-case-of-changing-an-RGBA-value** :tongue: ?

**runs to join Braydon under cover.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Socks said:
    **runs to join Braydon under cover.

I know it would be a huge task, but certainly would be worth the time and effort even if it took a year of on and off work. I don't know - it's just something that I've been wanting for a while.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited August 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    If i put a boarder around the images would that address this issue?!

My assumption would be no, as it would still just look like an empty box.

And my vote would be for any dark redesign to be a strictly optional change. I like things lighter :(

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

That is a IKImageBrowserView for reference

IKImageBrowserBackgroundColorKey to fix then?

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    GeorgeGS I tested this version in Memory Allocations through Xcode. So far it tests the same as a version published from previous builds. First level game is using about 24mbs and then goes up 1 MB after every scene change. I do not however know if this means anything since it is testing over a short period of time.
    My issue of choppiness always came after long long play periods where the app never shut down on the device. Hopefully I won't notice any of those issues now.

Instruments cannot give you an accurate count of the memory in use by the player anymore due to some of the changes made to support 64-bit on iOS. You could be using 500mb and it would show you somewhere between 20 and 40.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    All of that would be solved with a dark UI design. ;)

Agreed !

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@GeorgeGS and @Lost_Oasis_Games that makes sense, I guess the biggest test will be from seeing what me and my testers experience playing with it over time. This is really encouraging, hopefully none of this issues show up anymore!

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659
    edited August 2015

As for blurry images here is my game published with 3.4 (blurry)

Here is it published by 3.2 (Clear)

Pretty Bad, hopefully it is an easy fix, I double checked to make sure RI was checked

edited August 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    If i put a border around the images would that address this issue?

The issue is with white images assets - in a system that encourages the use of white image assets to control image colour - on a white background.

The issue is that in a lot of UI situations you cannot see the image you are working with (there are a few workarounds).

So, for example, if I have 26 image assets for an alphabet game, and I want the kids who the app is targeted at to be able change the colour of the letters, so I author them in white and import them - they disappear against the white B/G of the Image assets window (as well as in animate, change image, actors window and so on) - so in a situation like this having a boarder would make no difference, as I am still unable to visually scan the Image assets for the asset I need, instead of 26 'invisible' images, I would have 26 black boarders, neither offer a way of differentiating the images.

@Socks Where's the colour in B_13-B_25 coming from?

@Armelline said:
    Socks Where's the colour in B_13-B_25 coming from?

From magicland :smile:

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

When you say "Fixed memory leaks with published apps", does that mean memory leaks are not fixed when just previewing a game in Creator itself, or in the iOS viewer, for example?

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    No way! So pumped to give this a try!

Super Duper Luper excited... Hope this works so bad!

Would love to know more, too.

@GeorgeGS said: Tables weren't any part of the problem. It's possible they were in the past, but I didn't see any issues with them now.

The biggest problem was that actors weren't always being cleaned up completely when the scene changed. If you had a lot of actors or they were large for some reason like they had a lot of attributes then the leftover memory accumulated faster until eventually you ran out and the app was closed by the operating system on the device.

We use Lua in our engine which uses a garbage collector to clean things up when they aren't referenced anymore, so the fix was to make sure all of the references were broken or that they were "weak" so that they wouldn't stop something from being cleaned up.

The flipside is that we then needed to fix some things to not unload unexpectedly inside Creator for the Mac or in the native previewers which delayed things a couple of days.

I'm hoping that this fixes all of the memory issues you guys have been seeing, but if you think you've got a memory problem in the future we're happy to look into it.

Fingers are all broken into pieces because they are crossed so hard.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483
    edited August 2015

@BlackCloakGS @GeorgeGS @dgackey Still i am getting this error in Amazon...first time i published Successfully,and Released app one month back with 0.13.32,now i am updating with some minor changes now it is giving this error...please help me in this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Hymloe said:
    When you say "Fixed memory leaks with published apps", does that mean memory leaks are not fixed when just previewing a game in Creator itself, or in the iOS viewer, for example?

Preview works differently. It is undesirable to unload anything.

The viewer should use less memory.

@GeorgeGS said:
    The viewer should use less memory.

I've never had a problem with the Creator Viewer anyway, because my Mac has tons of RAM and whatnot anyway.

But great to hear that you've really gotten somewhere with these memory issues. You're a superstar George. :) Really hoping my projects come back to life!

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

anyone else experiencing blurry images with this new build?

@supafly129 said:
    anyone else experiencing blurry images with this new build?

Two or three users above have mentioned it.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited August 2015

@Socks said:

Geez it worries me if something as simple (the need for a grey background),as this improvement is not immediately recognized - maybe GS guys are tired today so I will not jump too quickly.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@socks what about grey images?

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

i having the problem that when i scale a image.
    if i press shift to constrain the shape it starts scaling proportionally but then it stop and the image didnt finish proportionally.

edited August 2015

@Lovejoy said:
    socks what about grey images?

Flat grey (single colour) images on a grey background will of course disappear if they have the exact same RGB values as a grey background - in the same way white image assets currently disappear.

Any single colour background** will cause an image asset of the same colour to effectively disappear, the trick is to avoid using the same colour that the software encourages users (through the way colour control works within GS) to author their images in. (**Adobe circumvent this issue by using a checkered pattern).

Additionally there is no real need to import flat grey images when we can import white images and set them to whatever colour we want (including grey) within GameSalad - but you cannot import and then set a grey image asset to white (or any other colour without it being effected by the RGB values of the image asset).

Ideally we could set the Image assets window's background with a preference setting or slider (light to dark), but that's drifting too much towards a reworking of the interface (or at least it sounds like a lot of work to me) at a time when GS have their hands full, my hope in suggesting a B/G colour change was that it was a 'simple fix' (!!??).

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@lycettebros said:
    Geez it worries me if something as simple (the need for a grey background),as this improvement is not immediately recognized - maybe GS guys are tired today so I will not jump too quickly.

Actually it's not that simple. @BlackCloakGS, @GeorgeGS and I spent about 15 minutes looking into this today and the long and the short of it is, we're using a native Mac UI control that likes its background white and doesn't offer us an easy way to alter it.

Can it be changed? Of course. With enough time, anything can be. But it's not a 30 second change that you might think, and as such, not as high of a priority as lots of other issues as a result.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

edited August 2015

@GeorgeGS Did you happen to notice, was there any correlation between this fix, and the "slow table import" / slow Copy Table behaviour issues? Or no apparent connection?

Anyway, I'll test that as well when I get home and try the new build. :) Juts thought I'd ask, in case any new light was shed over the past few days.