HTML5 Publishing!

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@Hymloe said:
    For my information:

How does one test their HTML5 version of a game, on their web host, without it keeping their previous session data?

How do I clear out my session data?

I'm having bugs, and other issues related to just trying to "start a fresh game".

I just tried playing my game in an Incognito session, and that may have helped with at least letting me start a fresh "player profile" each time I play. I shall experiment more!

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

@Hymloe Have you tried force refresh?

Windows: ctrl + F5
    Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R
    Linux: F5

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Way to represent, @adent42 !

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Hymloe said:
    Also, on Windows in Chrome, my project doesn't have "American Typewriter" at all. It appears as some sort of default Arial or something.

Shouldn't "American Typewriter" also appear in GS projects when viewed on HTML5 in the browser on Windows?? (Whether it's on the local systems' font collection, or not)...

Are you testing on Windows 10?

Windows has never had the American Typewriter font by default. I don't know what the html5 engine does for sure, but I'd guess it does the same thing Windows preview does which is to substitute msmincho for it. The problem is msmincho was removed from Windows 10 so you get Arial because we know it'll be there all the time.

Thanks GeorgeGS.

I'm on Windows 7.

It may be MSMINCHO that I'm seeing.

Whatever the case, it's not American Typewriter. Is there any chance that GameSalad could just embed the fonts with the game, so they work on every platform?

Should we ever expect to see American Typewriter supported on Windows by default? Or, should I just accept the idea that it'll never be that way?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Hymloe said:
    Thanks GeorgeGS.

I'm on Windows 7.

Whatever the case, it's not American Typewriter. Is there any chance that GameSalad could just embed the fonts with the game, so they work on every platform?

Should we ever expect to see American Typewriter supported on Windows by default? Or, should I just accept the idea that it'll never be that way?

They are working on custom fonts right now so you'll be able to embed whatever font you can get soon.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@Hymloe said:
    Thanks GeorgeGS.

I'm on Windows 7.

They are working on custom fonts right now so you'll be able to embed whatever font you can get soon.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Sounds promising.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Hymloe said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@Hymloe said:
    Thanks GeorgeGS.

I'm on Windows 7.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Sounds promising.

Read the 1.24 thread. We have been talking about this for weeks now...lol

• tmanntmann Member Posts: 278

@Hymloe but you will be responsible for licensing so you would probably want to find an alternative to American Typewriter

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

@Hymloe the font we list are mostly fonts found on iOS/Mac. We can't include them because we don't have licenses for all of them.

There was a risk in enabling more fonts in GameSalad since it would mean that other platforms like Android and HTML5 would not display correctly. We felt it was worth trade-off (more fonts for iOS users).

We're in the middle of reworking the font system, but if you put in a bug, I can see if I can get the current engine to choose better alternative fonts from the google fonts repository and at least get something closer to what you are looking for.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

Also, since they were relatively easy, I fixed two more bugs today.
    1) The number pad on larger keyboards didn't work on HTML5.
    2) When non ASCII characters where being rendered with color, they would show up as black on Chrome on Windows instead of the proper color. This has now been fixed.
    3) A bug introduced with the visibility fix that can be seen during change scene was fixed.

The fixes have been deployed for Tizen, HTML5, and Arcade. (Windows 8 requires some extra testings).

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited December 2015

I finally messed around with index, inline, and frame files of the html5 export, and tried various things with the loading icon, for example, I used translate to get it to move around the screen, and increased the rotation speed by adjusting numbers in the css file for it, but eventually I went for a full screen, actual load screen, check it out, it's glorious.

http://www.rayburst.net/game/index.html

The first screen I used as a test, showed only a 1/5th of the image since I randomly and accidentally grabbed a big file. I went and made a purposeful loadscreen, with the words "Now Loading" to remind the viewer of what was transpiring :p {jk} , and set the attributes of width and height to 100% so that it would scale to the screen size of the window.

@Adent42 #2 was plaguing some of my menus, I was planning to submit a bug, but thanks for taking care of it so swiftly.

There is a strange bug, that wasn't present before, I don't know if its due to 1.24, as I didn't have it in any export from 1.23. In the game example above, if going to any menu after the main one, then hitting the ESC key, loading will stay indefinitely. This does not occur in creator, and has been going on since before I adjusted the loadscreen image. I'm gonna check my project again before reporting it, to make sure it isn't code that got maladjusted when I switched some menus.

EDIT: Yeah, nothing wrong with the behaviors, it looks like it might be a loading bug. I don't know if it has something to do with scenes previously visited before not reloading again?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@adent42

Here a small bug in the HTML5 / Arcade version.

The detection of the initial MouseButton state is wrong on HTML5, and inconsistant with the behavior in Creator and on iOS/Android.

Here is the bug with a project attached:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1510

Great work on getting HTML5 so closely aligned! Thank you!

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2015

Why doesn't HTML5 preview on creator play the same why Native Preview my game is all messed up when I preview with HTML5?

Ok I understand, the HTML5 is still a work in progress and it works a bit different.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

does HTML5 now allow network behaviors? if not, will it ever?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@fmakawa said:
    does HTML5 now allow network behaviors? if not, will it ever?

Network behaviors do work in HTML5.

The network behaviors were moved into the main HTML5 engine sometime in December (I'd have to scroll back in this thread to find when). So if you see earlier post about copying a -experimental engine, you don't need to do that anymore. It should just work out of the box. You will need to set up CORs header handling in your API though if you choose to host your game on a domain that's different than were your server code is.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@adent42 said:
    It's another HTML5 Friday! I haven't started any new work on the engine yet, but while I was helping with a support ticket, I found a few ways you could interact with the HTML5 player and I documented them here:

http://help.gamesalad.com/knowledge-base/does-the-html5-engine-have-any-apis-i-can-interact-with/

TL;DR: You can pause, resume, and reset the player. You can set volume. You can hook in behavior for when scenes change, banner ads are shown, and tweetsheet is invoked. Now you want to go read it, don't you?

Enjoy!

so I was looking at the onCurrentSceneChanged function, do you have any sample code I can look at? I tried adding the function to the playerDelegate section but it breaks the project.

Do I have it in the wrong spot or bad syntax?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@jonmulcahy said:

@adent42 said:
    It's another HTML5 Friday! I haven't started any new work on the engine yet, but while I was helping with a support ticket, I found a few ways you could interact with the HTML5 player and I documented them here:

http://help.gamesalad.com/knowledge-base/does-the-html5-engine-have-any-apis-i-can-interact-with/

TL;DR: You can pause, resume, and reset the player. You can set volume. You can hook in behavior for when scenes change, banner ads are shown, and tweetsheet is invoked. Now you want to go read it, don't you?

Enjoy!

so I was looking at the onCurrentSceneChanged function, do you have any sample code I can look at? I tried adding the function to the playerDelegate section but it breaks the project.

Do I have it in the wrong spot or bad syntax?

uggh amateur hour over here. I was missing a comma @(#$(.

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member, PRO Posts: 142

Anyone have an html5 font issue where apostrophes don't show correctly? doesn't seem to matter what font i use

• forthebirdsforthebirds Member, PRO Posts: 16

@adent42
    HTML Publishing is really exciting. Is there any metrics gathering from GS or third party involved when I publish the generated game folder on a web server?
    I'm asking this, because then I would probably have to overhaul the according website privacy details.
    Thanks for an answer :)

@Jeffm2 said:
    Anyone have an html5 font issue where apostrophes don't show correctly? doesn't seem to matter what font i use

I find that using fonts at larger sizes often results in them coming out all jumbled, like the font pages are not atlassed correctly, or something...

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089

For some reason I don't have html 5 in a list of platforms, but editor does have HTML5 preview. Was html 5 publishing removed?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited March 2017

@imGua, the 'Platforms' are really nothing more than suggested pixel dimensions for your project. If you want to create something for HTML5 you would likely use custom pixel dimensions for the project size. When you publish from the publishing portal you should be able to choose HTML5 there as an output option.

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089

@jamie_c said:
    @imGua, the 'Platforms' are really nothing more than suggested pixel dimensions for your project. If you want to create something for HTML5 you would likely use custom pixel dimensions for the project size. When you publish from the publishing portal you should be able to choose HTML5 there as an output option.

@jamie_c https://i.gyazo.com/48e9e7cbc1248953e87982efb4c3a58c.png

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@imGua, hmmm, I see. That's odd, I wonder if it has been removed for some reason? @ForumNinja

Trial members do not have access to HTML5, it's a Pro only feature.

• loyaltyappsloyaltyapps Member Posts: 29

@adent do network behaviours work with HTML5? I'm trying to create a leaderboard using the info on various threads here. It works fine on Android and in the GS Preview, but not with the HTML5 version

Does positional sound work on HTML5?

Do collision rules work properly on HTML5?

Does the text corrupt on HTML5 builds, when displayed at larger text sizes?