HTML5 Publishing!

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@adent42 Yes , I just did, and added attachment , I hope it gets fixed.

Thanks

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I've been trying to clear up bugs in my game where rules that depend on "If ActorX [Overlaps or Collides] with Actor Y", then do ABC.

The way that [Overlaps or Collides] works seems to be different in the HTML5 system, and often just doesn't register.

I have been clearing up the problem by adding additional rules, like timers and things that keep checking it, but it's not too clear yet. It would be lovely if it worked consistently with the main GS system.

If I can't clear up the cases I'm experiencing, I'll write a bug in with a test case.

edited October 2015

Yea your right , the collision works different , in my case this is the GS/android/iphone version

and this one is the html5/arcade version

Now there are 2 weird things , the first one is that i have another actor tagged with the falling box actor , so they both share the same rule , the other actor works on html5 but the falling box doesnt as it is shown in the picture.

and the other weird thing is that if i remove the falling box collision with the ground , it works on html5.

I had a rule that says when game switch is on collide otherwise nothing , and it worked on device but it didnt work at all on html5 , so i had to change it to if color alpha is one collide other wise dont , and this occured. I thought that it was from interpolating the size width and height , since i read alot that it doesnt work well with collision , but when i remove the interpolate and replace it with a change attribute the problem is still there.

@Icebox1910 said:
    Yea your right , the collision works different , in my case this is the GS/android/iphone version

and this one is the html5/arcade version

Now there are 2 weird things , the first one is that i have another actor tagged with the falling box actor , so they both share the same rule , the other actor works on html5 but the falling box doesnt as it is shown in the picture.

and the other weird thing is that if i remove the falling box collision with the ground , it works on html5.

I had a rule that says when game switch is on collide otherwise nothing , and it worked on device but it didnt work at all on html5 , so i had to change it to if color alpha is one collide other wise dont , and this occured. I thought that it was from interpolating the size width and height , since i read alot that it doesnt work well with collision , but when i remove the interpolate and replace it with a change attribute the problem is still there.

I don't quite understand exactly what is happening in your example there, but it's interesting to see a test case of someone else having a similar/same issue.

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member, PRO Posts: 142

OK Im going to ask what is probably a stupid question, but can i just upload the folder that I download from publisher to my webspace on Godaddy? Ive done that and seem to just get a black screen and audio. http://jaguware.com/wp-content/uploads/apps/Asthma_Alley/sample-inline.html

@adent42 Are the html5 issues on your list for the moment ? or would it take months to get those bugs fixed ? Cause we didnt get any update on the issues lately.

Thanks

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

The team is working on some other cool stuff, I'll let them get that info to you when it's closer to done.

As for HTML5, I'm not working on it full time. I'll be looking at it once in a while (every Friday), but it will take a while to get it fixed as the game engine guys are all busy and it will take me a bit to learn the engine side of things. So I would not hold your breath for these bugs. Work with the engine as is and work around the bugs for now.

For my main line of work, I'm actually working on getting some much needed updates to our web pages and then I'll be getting back to improvements to publishing.

If I'm free on Friday's, I'm planning to cross check this thread and the bug database to see what are the most dire bugs. Though since I'm learning and I don't want to break things, bug will likely be fixed in order of how easy/hard they are and I'll just be using the publics priority as a guideline as to what subsystems I need to learn first.

So vote up the bugs in the HTML5 engine that are most important to you so help guide the work!

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

@adent42 Good luck with html5, your plan sounds sensible and efficient. I think it's a good approach to this.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@adent42 Change the day you work on html5, we all know nothing gets done on fridays, just lazy and rushed work :)

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@adent42 said:
    The team is working on some other cool stuff, I'll let them get that info to you when it's closer to done.

As for HTML5, I'm not working on it full time. I'll be looking at it once in a while (every Friday), but it will take a while to get it fixed as the game engine guys are all busy and it will take me a bit to learn the engine side of things. So I would not hold your breath for these bugs. Work with the engine as is and work around the bugs for now.

For my main line of work, I'm actually working on getting some much needed updates to our web pages and then I'll be getting back to improvements to publishing.

If I'm free on Friday's, I'm planning to cross check this thread and the bug database to see what are the most dire bugs. Though since I'm learning and I don't want to break things, bug will likely be fixed in order of how easy/hard they are and I'll just be using the publics priority as a guideline as to what subsystems I need to learn first.

So vote up the bugs in the HTML5 engine that are most important to you so help guide the work!

Thanks for the transparency.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@adent42 great , thanks !

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Any had success with the networking features under HTML5?

@adent42, I have not been able to get the networking to work, there seems to be an error in the network enabled version of gse-export.js (TypeError: i.replace is not a function)

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

@Hopscotch pm me a link to your project.

@adent42 said:
    Hopscotch pm me a link to your project.

Have done so, thank you for having a look!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited October 2015

@adent42 said:

Screen shot size requirements for Arcade that vaguely match typical project sizes please! :D

I've added this as a bug in the bugbase. It's quite a problem for me at the moment, across two projects... I'd love to see it fixed ASAP. (I haven't tested it in newer versions since 0.13.34 which is what I'm using currently). But I don't recall seeing any notes about it being fixed in any more recent release notes.

=====

Bug 1462: HTML5 - In GS 0.13.34, Angular Velocity is about 3.3x less effective when published to HTML5 than in Creator/iOS/etc

~DETAILS~

HTML5 - In GS 0.13.34, Angular Velocity is about 3.3x less effective when published to HTML5 than in Creator/iOS/etc

(I'm assuming it's in the latest versions as well)

This value should be consistent, so as to not have to do weird special-case things to make an actor turn in the same way on HTML5 as on the other platforms.

Please bring it in line with the other platforms.

Thanks.

EG:

Make an actor, and let the user press left and right to add AngularVelocity to the object, so it spins faster when you hold down a key.

Have some Angular Drag on it, so it slows down again if nothing is pressed.

Now try it in Creator Viewer, versus HTML5 preview, and you'll see that the HTML5 version turns much slower.

I have found (in two separate projects) that I need to multiply the Angular Velocity added to an actor by about 3.3x to make it feel the same as usual.

Please fix.

PS: Please add HTML5 as a PLATFORM in the drop down menu for "Component" when adding bugs in Bugzilla. It's not listed there, so it's hard to report bugs for it properly.

Thanks!

HTML5 update:

Thanks to help from @Hopscotch, I was able to pinpoint a bug in the HTML5 network behaviors and they should now work for tables from the network that are bigger than the original table in the game. I've pushed the update, so let me know if you have problems.

I also experimented with upgrading the version of Box2D used in the HTML5 engine. I was hoping that the upgrade would fix a few of the physics related bugs. Unfortunately, the update was not a success so I'll be playing with it throughout the week.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@adent42 said:
    HTML5 update:

Thanks to help from Hopscotch, I was able to pinpoint a bug in the HTML5 network behaviors and they should now work for tables from the network that are bigger than the original table in the game. I've pushed the update, so let me know if you have problems.

I also experimented with upgrading the version of Box2D used in the HTML5 engine. I was hoping that the upgrade would fix a few of the physics related bugs. Unfortunately, the update was not a success so I'll be playing with it throughout the week.

Any update on the serious table bugs? They would seem to be the most pressing issue with HTML5 :( Glad to hear the networking ones are fixed though, thanks!

Nice one @adent42 !

I'd also love to see the Play Sound behaviour more fully supported, specifically allowing the PITCH and POSITIONAL parts of the behaviour to work. Currently they don't work, and all sounds are played at full volume at standard 1:1 pitch.

Cheers! All the best.

It's another HTML5 Friday! I haven't started any new work on the engine yet, but while I was helping with a support ticket, I found a few ways you could interact with the HTML5 player and I documented them here:

http://help.gamesalad.com/knowledge-base/does-the-html5-engine-have-any-apis-i-can-interact-with/

TL;DR: You can pause, resume, and reset the player. You can set volume. You can hook in behavior for when scenes change, banner ads are shown, and tweetsheet is invoked. Now you want to go read it, don't you?

Enjoy!

@adent42, seen, read and excited! Cool stuff!

Getting closer and closer to being compatible with Kongregate or Desura!

There were some stubs for the Platform / GameCenter behaviors, but they weren't properly hooked up (none of the attributes were being passed). Once I get some bugs out of the way, I may get around to implementing them.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

How and what do you do with the functions @adent42 ?

edited November 2015

@adent42 said:
    TL;DR: You can pause, resume, and reset the player. You can set volume. You can hook in behavior for when scenes change, banner ads are shown, and tweetsheet is invoked. Now you want to go read it, don't you?

Basically in the sample-index.html file there's a hash table where you can define these callback functions in javascript. What you do with them is up to you, but I can see implementing a post to twitter behavior, displaying banner ads, and sending analytics calls to a server to see how far users are getting into a game.

Here is the code I used to test if these functions worked:

var playerDelegate = {

onLoadingBegin: function() {
        engine.showOverlay();
        loadingElement.style.visibility = 'visible';
    },

onLoadingEnd: function() {
        loadingElement.style.visibility = 'hidden';
        engine.hideOverlay();
    },

onWindowResize: function() {
        engine.relayout();
    },

onCurrentSceneChanged: function(sceneKey, sceneName) {
        console.log("Scene Changing to " + sceneName);
    },

onShowBannerShow: function(position) {
        console.log("Show banner ad on " + position);
    },

onTweetSheet: function(message) {
        alert("Tweet: " + message);
    }

};

edited November 2015

For instance, here's a simple twitter behavior:

onTweetSheet: function(msg) {
    var link_to_my_game = encodeURIComponent("http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/39479");
    var twitter_intent_url = "https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?via=gamesalad&url="+link_to_game+"&text=" + encodeURIComponent(msg);
    newwindow=window.open(twitter_intent_url,'name','height=420,width=520');
    if (window.focus) {newwindow.focus()}
    return false;
    }

Nice one! Keep it up. :)

Still keen to see the Play Sound behaviour more fully supported, too.

My game heavily uses positional sound, and the car you drive needs the engine to pitch up and down depending on speed. So I'd love to see those things working. :)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@Hopscotch said:
    @adent42, seen, read and excited! Cool stuff!

Getting closer and closer to being compatible with Kongregate or Desura!

What do you mean with compatible with Kongregate, i got games there

It'd be good to get proper sound support in there soon.

While you're in there, add the ability to specify which sound to play with an expression that gives the sound name.

Needed urgently, so I can finish off my project using proper data driven sound implementation.

• GlooferGloofer Member, PRO Posts: 18

I have experienced the following sound problem when exporting to html5: Pitch settings made in GS are ignored when exporting to html5.