HTML5 Publishing!

15678911»

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@adent42 said:
    Trial members do not have access to HTML5, it's a Pro only feature.

A Pro Only feature that has cost me $40 a month for the past year or more, and which doesn't support the basic features my game needs to actually make use of HTML5 output.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Hymloe said:

@adent42 said:
    Trial members do not have access to HTML5, it's a Pro only feature.

A Pro Only feature that has cost me $40 a month for the past year or more, and which doesn't support the basic features my game needs to actually make use of HTML5 output.

you choose the tool according to the features it already has not the ones you wish it to have. They are working on updates but your $40 a month (less actually) is for the current features. If your game needs other features right now that are not supported then perhaps you chose the wrong platform. html5 has always been buggy and you can search the boards for the list of performance issues regarding it. One of those is collisions shapes. Hopefully with the new tool all of that is fixed.

I didn't subscribe to Game Salad for HTML5.

But if they're going to support a platform, and propose that it works with the feature set of the engine, then it should do that.

And if I report BASIC bugs about a platform (like "the collision systems works" and "the sound system works" and "the font system works"), then those bugs should be fixed in a timely manner.

2 years is most definitely not a timely manner.

I'm not proposing brand new features, or increasing the scope of the engine.

I'm expecting that the basic functionality of the engine work on the platforms they claim to support.

By and large, Game Salad works quite well these days, especially on iOS.

But IT SHOULD work properly on all the supported platforms.

That is surely just an irrefutable statement.

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

I would just like to know if HTML5 is going to have these same bugs in the new version. If not, we could use NW.JS and have it run .exe. I have asked in another thread. Hope to get some response. The Steam community is huge. Would be great get on there. I know one game was ported over, but had some issues that had to be fixed.

@crestwoodgames said:
    I would just like to know if HTML5 is going to have these same bugs in the new version. If not, we could use NW.JS and have it run .exe. I have asked in another thread. Hope to get some response. The Steam community is huge. Would be great get on there. I know one game was ported over, but had some issues that had to be fixed.

Yep. Are these bugs already fixed in the new version of the editor? I kinda doubt it.

@adent42

Very quiet with no responses from anyone at Game Salad, which makes me think... nothing has been done, nothing will be done.

Any news to the contrary? @CodeWizard @GeorgeGS @GameSalad @QASalad

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

Your not going to get any response from at least 2 of the people your tagging.

George hasn't worked at Gamesalad for around 2 years, and its at least a year ago or more that Codewizard left too.

@adent42 has been responding to most stuff of late...

@adent42 has been responding to most stuff of late...

Unfortunately, "most stuff" does not seem to cover anything to do with long-standing HTML5 bugs, it would seem.

@adent42

Could I please get a reply from you about the state of these bugs... Is it unreasonable for me to expect a response about these issues, as a paying Pro customer of your product, and as the reporter of these bugs now 2 years old? I'd just like to know the status of these issues. Thanks.

Q: Does positional sound work on HTML5? If not, can it be addressed?

Q: Do collision rules work properly on HTML5? If not, can it be addressed?

Q: Does the text corrupt on HTML5 builds, when displayed at larger text sizes? If not, can it be addressed?

Let me know if you need more info or sample projects beyond the info provided on the bug reports themselves.

Whatever I can do to help you get these bugs fixed, so I can ship my game on HTML5 (and hopefully in turn, Windows).

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited August 2017

I would love to make a co-op local multiplayer steam game :/
    But a list of all none functional behaviours would help.

Well, as long as you don't really want to use much of the functionality of the SOUND system, the PHYSICS system, or the TEXT system, you should be set!

And who needs physics, sound or text in games anyway?

OK, as you can tell from my posts, I get frustrated when things seem to sit around unfixed for years.

In an attempt to help make the reproduction of these issues as easy as possible I've made a demonstration project to show the bugs clearly.

Hopefully this can result in some quick fixes for these problems, so the HTML5 output works correctly...

You can see the problems demonstrated (except the Angular Velocity issue which I'm still trying to narrow down) in this Game Salad project (made in the latest Windows version of the editor)...

You can download the project here:
    http://www.muzboz.com/Games/HTML5Bugs/Build10/HTML5-Issues-Project-015.zip (75kb)

And you can play the HTML5 version of the project here...
    http://www.muzboz.com/Games/HTML5Bugs/Build10/

Here are the issues / bugs that the project illustrates...

COLLISIONS

On Windows or Mac, if you play the game in the editor, the car (driven with arrow keys) will correctly collide with the trees - even when they change size at runtime. This is as it should be.

BUT on HTML5, the car will not collide with the tree actors unless the car hits the original 32x32 size of the trees. (Interestingly, once the collision registers, the car is then pushed OUT to the extent of the actual size of the actor. So it's partially working, but the actual collision itself is not detected unless it hits the original 32x32 size. This trigger collider should update any time that the actor width and height updates at runtime!

Desired result: Collision size of objects should always update to match the runtime width and height of the actor. [Need this to be fixed!]

SOUNDS

The bird actor in the middle of the level should play a tweeting sound positionally, and with a randomised pitch.

On Mac and iOS, these things both work properly. But not so on other platforms.

The project shows how on HTML5, Positional and Pitched sound does not work.
    Sounds cannot be pitched. And sounds cannot play positionally.

On Windows, pitch adjustment works correctly, but Positional audio doesn't seem to work (in the Windows editor preview).

Desired result: On HTML5, the Positional and Pitch features should both work properly! [Need these bugs to be fixed!]

TEXT

If text is displayed at a large size, there are unwanted "corruptions" of certain letters.

Letters all look fine on Windows and Mac and iOS, but if displayed on HTML5, there are artifacts on some letters, such as "i" and "g" in the case of the font chosen in this demo project.

Desired result: All fonts should display cleanly and properly on all output platforms, including HTML5. [Please fix!]

@adent42

If anyone wants to download the project and have a look for themselves, I'd very much appreciate any input into how these things might be fixed, or confirm in a message below that these seem to be engine bugs that need to be fixed at Game Salad HQ before any of these things can be resolved.

Thanks!

All the best.

The bugs can be found in more detail here.... these are absolute show-stoppers for me.

MAKE SOUND FEATURES "POSITIONAL" and "PITCH" work on HTML5 output.
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1432

MAKE COLLISION SHAPE OF ACTOR UPDATE APPROPRIATELY AT RUNTIME on HTML5
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1450

TEXT DISPLAYS ARTIFACTS ON CERTAIN LETTERS, ESPECIALLY AT LARGER FONT SIZES
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1501

@adent42

Let me know if you have any confusion or doubt about the existence of these issues, or any trouble reproducing them, and I will help you to understand them more fully and clearly.

But I think the sample project I've provided shows these issues very clearly and obviously.

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

I agree that fixing this on the old engine is a waste of time right now. I am wanting to know if this will be fixed in the new web version.

Thanks!

@crestwoodgames said:
    I agree that fixing this on the old engine is a waste of time right now. I am wanting to know if this will be fixed in the new web version.

Thanks!

Will my current project be fully compatible with loading up in the new engine, and exporting to HTML5 (or even Windows EXE)?

If so, that would at least help to get the game out on Windows and HTML5 platforms some time...

It's a bit sad that Game Salad has a complete "0 response" rule relating to any and all of these issues.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Since the new Creator is made in HTML 5, that should hopefully mean much better support for the technology.

Yes, all of your current projects should work alright, the .gameproj format is not going away yet.

It would be wonderful if one day, the HTML5 output of my game actually worked, as I'd love to make a web version of my game, to put on my website, Kongregate, etc.

I am actually paying Game Salad for a Pro subscription, which includes HTML5 output.

Haven't tested it in a few months, but for the past few years, it has engine level bugs that mean my game doesn't work in HTML5.

Maybe one day.

I should test it out again some time soon.