HTML5 Publishing!

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Hymloe said:
    Oh, and I am using Game Salad 0.13.34 still. Does it require a newer version?

There is currently an issue with sound files and html5 export. @tatiang commented on it a few pages back, something about converting the sound files to .wav 16 bit 44.1 and reimport to game salad project.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited October 2015

Trying with 0.13.44 now.

Hey, does HTML5 version support Gamepad support?

I've still never tried it in any of my projects, but this HTML5 business has got me much more excited about a desktop version of the game I'm working on.

And suddenly Gamepad support would be great! So yeah, has anyone tried that?

edited October 2015

"Something went wrong configuring your app. Please check your configuration and try again. If the problem persists contact us and reference publish request [a465cd9f-3085-4c6f-8e63-e989051b9ae9]."

Same thing. Quite frustrating, as I have no idea what it wants me to do.

I want to see my game on the web! :)

Any suggestions, help, ideas?

@Lovejoy said:
    There is currently an issue with sound files and html5 export. tatiang commented on it a few pages back, something about converting the sound files to .wav 16 bit 44.1 and reimport to game salad project.

Thanks, maybe that's it.

Hope this gets fixed soon, as I don't really want to have to convert all my sounds unnecessarily. They're working just fine for iPad just now, so I don't want to mess with them.

Well, I have to give up on HTML5 for now, sadly. Hope there's some more progress in the next few days.

I tried another one of my games, and that one worked. So I'm not sure why my other one isn't working. Both projects would have OGGs and MP4s in them. So perhaps the audio thing is not the issue.

Anyway, I've entered a BUG for GS, so we'll see. Hopefully I can make my other one into HTML5 soon.

I've now got one of my projects output as an HTML5 project.

It looks to me like someone could hack the URL and grab all the unprotected sounds and images from the game with very little effort.

Are there any sorts of security measures to avoid this? Is that ultimately how it will be?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Hymloe said:

Try publishing it as an arcade game, it should give you a list of bad sound files.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Hymloe basically you have too many sounds. I'm gonna see if I can adjust the transcoding sleep time to match the rate amazon allows.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

We're still talking to amazon about removing limits, but basically, @Hymloe, your app has so many sound files that we hit the API limit just checking on whether the files are done! I should have a fix in shortly.

As for the error message, the key is "If the problem persists contact us", basically, that error message includes a code we can use to find problems and usually means we've hit an unexpected issues.

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

@Hymloe
    about audio file you need to reconvert all audio files in "Wave 44100 Hz Stereo, 16-bit"
    i've used a simple converter program, and brought it back into GS and picked if they were sound or music files.

@adent42 said:
    We're still talking to amazon about removing limits, but basically, Hymloe, your app has so many sound files that we hit the API limit just checking on whether the files are done! I should have a fix in shortly.

So, do you mean there is too many KBs of sounds, or too many separate sound files?

Like, would I literally need to delete some sounds? Or, would making some files a smaller bitrate, or a shorter duration, perhaps fix the problem?

Also, are you saying you're going to put in a fix/improvement at your end, anyway?

Also, if there's a hard limit in the number of sounds, what is the number that is allowed?

PS: My other project works, but because the assets load "on demand" (which seems like a cool idea, to speed up the initial load time), my map tiles take too long to load, because they're all 256x256. If GS supported "hard edge art" (without any smoothing or interpolation), I could make my tiles 32x32, like they're meant to be, and it'd all run great!

So, another double vote for that feature to be put into GS, from me, thanks. :)

edited October 2015

I have 247 audio files (including music and sfx) in the project that I'm having trouble exporting.

@adent42 said:
    We're still talking to amazon about removing limits, but basically, Hymloe, your app has so many sound files that we hit the API limit just checking on whether the files are done! I should have a fix in shortly.

What API are you speaking about here?

Is there a specific HTML5 API that you're using?

I don't really see any reason why there should be a limit on the number of sounds in an HTML5 project. There should be able to be thousands, right?

:)

@Hymloe it's the number of files, but it should be fixed now. The API is Amazon's Elastic Transcoder API. Basically we queue all your audio for transcoding and then poll Amazon to see if it's done yet. We make an API call to the for each file. They have a max burst of 100 files in a second and since you have 200 files it broke. I put some code to slow down the polling if there are more than 100 files waiting for transcoding.

@adent42 said:
    Hymloe it's the number of files, but it should be fixed now. The API is Amazon's Elastic Transcoder API. Basically we queue all your audio for transcoding and then poll Amazon to see if it's done yet. We make an API call to the for each file. They have a max burst of 100 files in a second and since you have 200 files it broke. I put some code to slow down the polling if there are more than 100 files waiting for transcoding.

Awesome!

Great that you are so on top of this @adent42 ... responding very quickly to any issues with the platform. Nice!

I'll give it another go now...

Looks like it worked! Thanks @adent42 :)

I just noticed, looking through the actual files that are output... there is an OGG and an M4A version of every sound in my project.

Surely there doesn't need to be both versions of all files??

My sounds folder is 102mb. The rest of my game is about 12mb.

I do have a fair few music tracks and stuff, and that's fine if sound takes up a fair bit of my project. But I think there's perhaps twice as many MBs of sounds as I need (duplicates).

Can I delete one or the other sound format, before uploading?

I literally have 147 oggs and 147 M4As.

I thought, traditionally in GS, sfx were OGGs and music was M4As. Is that true?

How does the HTML5 version work? What file formats does it use?

edited October 2015

Correction... I have...

246 OGGs
    246 M4As

1 CAF (how did you get in there, you cheeky devil? This must be from about 2012... :)

That was not what I was expecting to find.

I was expecting to find about 12 M4As (the music tracks), and about 230 OGGs (the sfx).

I would guess that this has been done just to make sure all the files are there, when needed by GS. But it does result in a bloated upload bundle, with a whole lot of files that aren't needed by the game.

Also, I like the way stuff loads in on demand, like images and things.

But can I ensure they are preloaded by ticking the PreLoad art box for that actor?

Or will that not work in all cases?

edited October 2015

I find positional audio doesn't work correctly.

On iPad, the sound of my helicopter (at my drop-off point) usually only travels "about as far as the player goes before the helipad goes offscreen).

In HTML5, that sounds pervades the whole level at full volume.

Could you look into that, @adent42 ?

It would seem that all audio is being played as if they are in the middle of the screen, and that the positional feature is not currently working.

edited October 2015

Also, I find that Display Text behaviour can result in "munched text". Like, sort of corrupted letters, as if the textures got a bit jumbled up, or offset a bit wrong, so you can see the edges of some characters appearing above, or beside some other bit of text.

This seems to actually come down to certain letters in the font. I'm using American Typewriter, and the "i" seems to have a problem. Weird thing is, the "i" looks fine in some places, but not others. Perhaps gets stuffed up when using larger font sizes, like 50. It seems to work OK when displayed at smaller sizes.

edited October 2015

Also, how do SAVE GAMES work on HTML5?

Like, on the iPad, my save game system works fine, saving attributes and tables manually to achieve whatever result I want.

How does that translate to HTML5? Can these things be saved to the user's cache, or something, so if they come back another day, and load the page, their data is still there?

Or is there no way to really do this?

--> It does SEEM to be saving correctly, right now, which is sweet.

Any caveats or things I should be aware of?

I guess if the user clears their cache, their save game progress is gone. :)

This HTML5 feature is the sweetest feature in a while. So great now having a totally different mindset, of being able to quickly and easily share my build in an immediate and accessible fashion, over the web, to anyone with a desktop computer.

It's got me totally re-thinking how I can get my games out there. Love it!

Does anyone have any suggestions about places on the web where they've shared their HTML5 games, that have provided lots of players, exposure, money, etc?

Places like Kongregate, or Itch.io, others...?

edited October 2015

I have one issue where all my cars steer at only about 1/3rd of the "strength" as they do when I play the game on iPad or in the Creator Preview, etc.

In the HTML5 build (played in a browser, or in the creator HTML5 Preview mode), the steering is very weak.

I apply my steering to the angular velocity of the car.

Is the physics system perhaps different on HTML5?

edited October 2015

Also, it would seem that the PITCH feature of Play Sound does not work on HTML5.

The sounds just all come out at pitch "1". Could this be looked into?