HTML5 Publishing!

Comments

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

@pinkio75 said:
    adent42
    is possible to add AdMob in html5 games?

If google is correct, it looks like AdMob themselves don't serve ads to websites (only mobile apps). But, given that Game Salad is publishing a stand-alone for you, you could toss the game up on your own website and add ads to the site. This would also open up any possible provider, like Google Ads.

• RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272

it works at dropbox

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@freneticz said:

Make sure to set the folder to public and then click on the share button and grab the ID

Then type it in the link below with your ID

https://googledrive.com/host/YourFolderID

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited September 2015

@freneticz said:
    Thanks its work but its Little slow and the adress change to
    Do i really need a so long adress?
    And should the best times really get saved for ever?

Time for bitly.com , go there and paste that long address in and see if they can shorten it.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
    edited September 2015

Thanks

A Little bit shorter :)

http://bit.ly/1VhF4DE

My link stops to work after a while :( i must do something wrong , my best times saves , should they really do that

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

So since we have html5, I guess that also brings us closer to Wii U releases also (only thing i'm not sure would work is controller support). Since they have the Nintendo Webkit which is similar to node webkit and supports html5/javascript etc. I think I'm going to sign up for the program and see how it all works.

https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

Daaang. That makes me wonder about Xbox One and PS4 now.
    I found this related to Wii U brower/web controls
    http://www.lostdecadegames.com/wii-u-browser/

•A: mouse click or enter/return key equivalent
    •B: history.back()
    •Y: open bookmarks
    •X: toggle TV visibility
    •d-pad: arrow keys
    •Left stick: pan
    •Right stick: zoom
    •-: zoom out
    •+: zoom in
    •L/R: history.back/forward
    •LZ/RZ: previous/next tab

So most of it can probably be covered by the Key behavior.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited September 2015

@adent42

Great! Do you have a sample project with the basic workings of an HTML 5 game available?

Like, I guess I'm just wondering about any HTML5 specific stuff you need to do to make sure it plays correctly from a webpage, etc.

It'd be handy to have a working project, with the HTML5 embed code, and the working game, just to see how it all hooks up. The game itself isn't that important, more the surrounding pieces that need to be put in place. :)

Thanks!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Icebox1910 I'd say the engine is partly at fault, but there's probably stuff you can tune in your game.

Most HTML5 games you see on the web have engines tuned for the games it's built for. Our engine is very general purpose and has a lot of functionality in it that may not be necessary for your game and this can slow it down (for instance, all movement in the engine is processed through Box2D, whereas many games have much more simplified physics models or no real physics at all).

That being said it's also a matter of tuning. Because our engine takes away a lot of the lower level coding, it's easy to build a game that might not be the most optimal. You may need to make the games for a lower resolution with fewer actors and smaller assets to tune your game for the web.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Hymloe just hit publish on HTML5 for your game and you'll get a project with instructions in the comments. I'll need to make a pass at documenting everything externally some time, but if you view the source for the sample HTML files that are provided it will go a long way towards explaining how to use the files.

@adent42 said:
    Hymloe just hit publish on HTML5 for your game and you'll get a project with instructions in the comments. I'll need to make a pass at documenting everything externally some time, but if you view the source for the sample HTML files that are provided it will go a long way towards explaining how to use the files.

Awesome, thanks! Sounds like its simple and straight forward! Cool. :)

So you just have to be a pro subscriber to make it?

I assume it doesn't have a GS logo or anything?

I assume it just runs like any HTML5 game would, unlimited, standalone goodness?

Out of curiosity, while we're waiting for a proper Windows executable target, how would everyone feel if I just threw together a HTML5 Windows EXE target as an "experimental" feature?

@adent42 said:
    Out of curiosity, while we're waiting for a proper Windows executable target, how would everyone feel if I just threw together a HTML5 Windows EXE target as an "experimental" feature?

Love it!

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@adent42 And i need a HTML publish guide for dummies ;)

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

@adent42 said:

That would be very cool ... :wink:

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@adent42 said:

so we can submit to windows 10 phones also ?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@adent42 said:

That would be great. I used nwjs to create my exe file and it worked great, but it did require some use of the command prompt which I know scares people

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211
    edited September 2015

@Moik said:
    If google is correct, it looks like AdMob themselves don't serve ads to websites (only mobile apps). But, given that Game Salad is publishing a stand-alone for you, you could toss the game up on your own website and add ads to the site. This would also open up any possible provider, like Google Ads.

Yes is possible, but my games could be embedded to other websites with other advertisement... with losses of revenues...
    i mean... is possible to add AdMod inside our html5 games?

About .EXE that would be very great feature!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited September 2015

@freneticz said:
    adent42 And i need a HTML publish guide for dummies ;)

Open the index.html file in a program like text wrangler. There are instructions in there. The idea is to experiment and study on your own. Read about HTML 5 learn about GS. Not everything can be a tutorial as we find ways to do things with stuff even the GS staff don't consider when the make features. Half the fun is the experimenting and learning. Most of the techniques you use now were created by members and not the GS staff. These people don't wait for tutorials they go out and explore and learn and then share it with the community.

I'll do a basic video today as I've been playing with this and can show how to do the basics of getting it on a site.

@pinkio75 said:
    About .EXE that would be very great feature!

inside the game, no.
    but you could wrap the game in a web view and tack admob on top of it... but since GS already supports admob, why bother?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

The performance of HTML5 is curious. I have a game that really pushes GameSalad to its limits. Dozens of actors on screen at once, all moving and containing extensive logic, hundreds of calculations being done every cycle, lots of continuous spawning and destroying, tons of graphics.

It play great on device, but in Creator preview it's essentially unplayable. There's just too much going on. However, if I use the HTML5 preview, it plays amazingly. So HTML5 can handle A LOT, far more than Creator preview can. If you're having performance issues with it, there's a high chance it's your logic.

That said, I have noticed there are some things HTML5 preview handles badly, and it flat out doesn't work for some of my projects, but I've never found time to troubleshoot why.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Armelline said:
    The performance of HTML5 is curious. I have a game that really pushes GameSalad to its limits. Dozens of actors on screen at once, all moving and containing extensive logic, hundreds of calculations being done every cycle, lots of continuous spawning and destroying, tons of graphics.

It play great on device, but in Creator preview it's essentially unplayable. There's just too much going on. However, if I use the HTML5 preview, it plays amazingly. So HTML5 can handle A LOT, far more than Creator preview can. If you're having performance issues with it, there's a high chance it's your logic.

That said, I have noticed there are some things HTML5 preview handles badly, and it flat out doesn't work for some of my projects, but I've never found time to troubleshoot why.

Yeah i'm seeing about the same. One of my projects handles just fine, about as well as on an actual device vs in the HTML5 preview.

However my largest project literally won't display any images. But all display text and actors without images seem to work fine. Quite strange.

I'm super excited to see how actual .exe works though! And to get more improvements to HTML5.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@Hymloe yes, unlimited standalone goodness, no branding (except I think the actual engine file has our copyright info on it, which needs to be there).

Cool! Sounds promising. I'll have to check out a build of my game in HTML5 some time!

Great stuff!

• iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310
    edited September 2015

I just published my Kim Kardashian "Tower of Booty" game in HTML5 and it works well.
    [Here's the Link.](http://www.ikandygames.com/towerofbooty/ ")

• iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310

When you publish the games on the web does that mean anyone can steal the source code?

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@jonmulcahy said:
    I'm quoting this because i don't feel enough people realize what I did :)

@jonmulcahy - great stuff!
    So would this exe. be suitable for the likes of Steam / GOG.com etc??

@DigiChain said:
    So would this exe. be suitable for the likes of Steam / GOG.com etc??

i don't see why not, I'm investigating it myself. a native exe would be better, and probably support a lot more features like networking and stuff, but i figured it was a good way to get the ball rolling.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@jonmulcahy said:

Looks like Steam has got my dollar then...