HTML5 Publishing!

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@DigiChain said:
    Looks like Steam has got my dollar then...

The good/bad thing with steam is that other users vote if your game should be allowed. Which keeps most of the trash out, but they also have a huge negative reaction towards mobile games

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@jonmulcahy said:
    The good/bad thing with steam is that other users vote if your game should be allowed. Which keeps most of the trash out, but they also have a huge negative reaction towards mobile games

Yeah I've seen how negative the Steam community can be towards mobile ports and don't overly expect my current games to be successful, but will be an interesting experience either way!

• willkeslingwillkesling Member, PRO Posts: 123

perfect timing. We have a game prject that came up at work and now I have a solution. :)

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

I would love to be able to submit my game to Steam for Windows (and Mac would be nice too).

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172

@adent42 said:
    So sometime near the end of last year (2014) I said something to the effect of:

"My goal is to get HTML5 publishing done by the start of the 3rd quarter, the end of the year most likely and the beginning of next year at the latest."

In the words of Douglas Adams: "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."

That's a good sense of humor. You remembered the disappointment of last year, but you didn't give up.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I'm just waiting for Photics to pop in and rejoice with us!

After years of disappointment, I'm skeptical.

It seems I missed the news by almost a week. I've been working on a new book project. Ironically, it's HTML5 related. (I've gotten much better at development.) I was wondering what to do with my iBooks, as I got a strange email from Apple about Japan. I was looking at my GameSalad book and I started wondering if things got better around here.

This news was surprising!

@adent42 said:
    But the long awaited time is upon us and now, available to all, is HTML5 publishing! You can now download the copy of a complete zip file that will allow you to host HTML5 games on your own website, completely bypassing Arcade! (Though we still hope you publish to Arcade).

What does that mean exactly?

• Do HTML5 games have metrics gathering?
    • Can the source code be edited?

@adent42 said:
    On the plus side, this means your games should work on all modern browsers with their varied sound formats requirements!

Which sound formats are you using? Are you using MP3?

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

@Photics said:
    •Can the source code be edited?

The files seem to be editable in a text editor, and the index.html appears to be heavily commented. It looks like the purpose of it is for being able to adapt the app to the target webpage. Other files don't have any comments that I noticed, but they were legible in notepad.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

@photics, while you do get the source, the engine is obfuscated and the gameproj is in json format. So not much in the way of hacking there (or rather, any changes would require real hacking). Most of the ability to change things is to allow for embedding the app in different scenarios. I'm hoping to get a chance to work on the networking code sooner than later, so that leaves some room for interacting with one of the node.js based app shells. Otherwise, much like GameSalad it's meant to be a black box there your gameproj goes in and a game comes out.

one thing i've noticed is that when the window does not have focus, the gameplay is paused but the sound continues. it doesn't really matter in my games, but figured i'd let everyone know.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

i am currently using this equation in my game to add font to the score and coins, i dont really understand the equation or how it works got it straight from a video tutorial , but it does work on android devices.

change attribute self.image to floor( game.Coins % self.div )/( self.div /10)

this seems to work on every device but it doesnt work on html5 , when i test my game on arcadeor on other html5 websites , i dont understand html5 , should i report a bug ? or is it something that has nothing to do with gs engine ?

@uptimistik this looks better but its a bit hard ill need time to understand it , thanks alot i was planning to re do everything but this is way better

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Change game.Coins % self.div to mod(game.Coins, self.div)
    I think... basically the % is the mod function for lua, but isn't available on javascript. So we included mod() in order to support both platforms.

@adent42 I did now , and did a test but it still doesnt work , only one digit works the other digit doesnt , same as before , i have the "%" on other rules and it works perfect , only this one doesnt on html5, thanks !

I can't tell you more without having time to look at the project, but the % operator is not supported on HTML5, so use the mod function instead (that will work on both).

Alright ill keep that in mind , and thanks alot

• LucasJG1994LucasJG1994 Member Posts: 28

Would this be available for Basic too?

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited October 2015

@LucasJG1994 said:
    Would this be available for Basic too?

Only for PRO members.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• LucasJG1994LucasJG1994 Member Posts: 28

@NipaDidIt
    Thanks

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

So incase anyone is interested and uses Wordpress. I have been able to successfully run Gamesalad HTML 5 apps in a separate popup window using the WP plugin Lightbox Plus Colorbox.

• iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310

Dear Lost Oasis can you post the link to the WP with the games embedded?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    So incase anyone is interested and uses Wordpress. I have been able to successfully run Gamesalad HTML 5 apps in a separate popup window using the WP plugin Lightbox Plus Colorbox.

It's on my new site I'm working on but I will do a video for you guys to show you how to do it.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    It's on my new site I'm working on but I will do a video for you guys to show you how to do it.

Sounds great. Keen to check it out.

And if anyone else has their game running "online", it'd be cool to see some more game links, to see what people are up to, and how a variety of things work in HTML5 presentation format. :)

@Hymloe said:
    And if anyone else has their game running "online", it'd be cool to see some more game links, to see what people are up to, and how a variety of things work in HTML5 presentation format. :)

I have two online:

Building jumper on kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/tinystarship/building-jumper

A Long Way Home Demo on my website: http://www.tinystarship.com/html5/ALWH/

@jonmulcahy said:
    A Long Way Home Demo on my website: http://www.tinystarship.com/html5/ALWH/

Cool. I like them both. Nice presentation.

I see on "A Long Way Home", it says "Please vote for it on Steam Greenlight".

So, how do you plan to deliver the game to Steam currently? Or would that rely on some more changes and advancements at Game Salad's end.

Or is it as the "Windows 8" platform?

@adent42 Any luck with the standalone .EXE version of the HTML5 project? :)

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Hymloe said:
    So, how do you plan to deliver the game to Steam currently? Or would that rely on some more changes and advancements at Game Salad's end.

html5 export opened up a whole lot of possibilities for GS, but to answer your question, you can create a exe using html5 export and node webkit from github. The GS staff also mentioned bringing out a quick exe export to GS soon.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

I tried Publishing to HTML5, but it error'd twice, the same way both times, saying...

"Something went wrong configuring your app. Please check your configuration and try again. If the problem persists contact us and reference publish request [ae2f46d7-ff66-4a25-b386-c95b26fe6c6b].".

Any ideas what causes this anyone?

It says "Check my configuration", but what does that mean? Where can I check my configuration?

It runs OK in HTML5 Preview from the creator, and if I click "play in Chrome", that works too (and plays much smoother than the Creator Preview of it).

But when I publish, it's a no go.

Please help. Keen to try this out, and maybe put up a playable build of my game for feedback, etc.

@Lovejoy said:
    html5 export opened up a whole lot of possibilities for GS, but to answer your question, you can create a exe using html5 export and node webkit from github. The GS staff also mentioned bringing out a quick exe export to GS soon.

Thanks!

I haven't added a Custom Loading Wheel. Do I need to do that for it to work at all?

I figured it'd just put the default loading wheel in, if I didn't add my own custom one.

Oh, and I am using Game Salad 0.13.34 still. Does it require a newer version?