Coming Real Soon Now (tm): Polygonal Collision & App Store GS Viewer

Comments

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

This is great news!
    Definitely a game changer!

I look forward to seeing how this is implemented in GameSalad. And I really look forward to seeing how this bumps everyone's skill-set up to another level.

GameSalad wins the internets today!

• patateChaudepatateChaude Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2015

!!!!!! nice !!!!!!
    May I suggest PhysicsEditor (https://www.codeandweb.com/physicseditor).
    It's not free (but cheap). Probably the best collision editor right now.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@patateChaude said:
    !!!!!! nice !!!!!!
    May I suggest PhysicsEditor (https://www.codeandweb.com/physicseditor).
    It's not free (but cheap). Probably the best collision editor right now.

Yup, I've been playing with it and the auto-trace in it is brilliant. I'm reluctant to install Java, so I'll probably go with this one, though will definitely try them all!

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

COOL!!! SO COOL!!! By reading this so far I can see that we can make our own custom collision shapes?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@jamie_c said:
    I noticed on that page they mention 'joints' as well. I wonder is that actual joints or something just related to collisions?

Box2d is capable of both so it is possible with the current physics engine.

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@jamie_c said:
    I noticed on that page they mention 'joints' as well. I wonder is that actual joints or something just related to collisions?

We currently do not support joints, although we'd like to in the future.

Will we be able to make new centers?! That would mean a pivot point, right?! Right?!

@jdlcrater said:
    Will we be able to make new centers?! That would mean a pivot point, right?! Right?!

No, for the moment, the center cannot be changed.

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

YEAH! So sweet!

@stevej said:
    No, for the moment, the center cannot be changed.

Still a great step forward though! Can't wait!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@jdlcrater said:

with some special math you can change the rotation point of an object. @socks has put out a few demos over the years.

@jonmulcahy said:
    with some special math you can change the rotation point of an object. @socks has put out a few demos over the years.

Yes. I know how to make a pivot point just fine but I don't like special math lol And @Socks is awesome for showing that pivot point demo

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@patateChaude we are going to release the file format that we expect for custom shapes so if there is another tool you want to use to create the shape you can.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@jdlcrater said:
    Yes. I know how to make a pivot point just fine but I don't like special math lol And Socks is awesome for showing that pivot point demo

good, just wanted to make sure you knew about it. I wish in the actor we could define an X/Y coordinate for the center. maybe time for a feature request?

@jonmulcahy said:
    good, just wanted to make sure you knew about it. I wish in the actor we could define an X/Y coordinate for the center. maybe time for a feature request?

Hint hint

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2015

@dgackey Maybe this is a silly question, but I presume that squares, rectangles and circles will still behave the same old way? :) I was confounded when I contemplated how many points would be needed to make a circle. :confused:

I know some smart-arse is going to answer, "It depends how big you make the circle!" :D

edited October 2015

For those wanting to get a head start on creating collision shapes for their actors, here's a link to the preliminary doc for custom collisions: link. Note that this is still somewhat a work in progress, but the general information should be good.

[edit: updated link]

@stevej said:
    For those wanting to get a head start on creating collision shapes for their actors, here's a link to the preliminary doc for custom collisions: link. Note that this is still somewhat a work in progress, but the general information should be good.

Looking good! Can you elaborate a bit on this, though:

Note 2: Although more than one image/rigid body can be imported into the tool for a project, only the first object’s data will be imported into GameSalad Creator. You will need to create a separate project file for each actor you want collision data for.

edited October 2015

@Armelline said:
    Looking good! Can you elaborate a bit on this, though:

Note 2: Although more than one image/rigid body can be imported into the tool for a project, only the first object’s data will be imported into GameSalad Creator. You will need to create a separate project file for each actor you want collision data for.

The tool lets you define multiple objects/actors to create collision data for. So in theory, you could have a single json file that had the collision data for every actor in your game (this is why the "rigidBodies" json element is an array, not an object). But at the moment we don't support that; we will only import one actor's data per file into GameSalad Creator.

@stevej said:
    The tool lets you define multiple objects/actors to create collision data for. So in theory, you could have a single json file that had the collision data for every actor in your game (this is why the "rigidBodies" json element is an array, not an object). But at the moment we don't support that; we will only import one actor's data per file into GameSalad Creator.

Doesn't sound like that will be a problem at all then! Can't wait!

@PhilipCC said:
    dgackey Maybe this is a silly question, but I presume that squares, rectangles and circles will still behave the same old way? :) I was confounded when I contemplated how many points would be needed to make a circle. :confused:

I know some smart-arse is going to answer, "It depends how big you make the circle!" :D

Squares, rectangles, and circles have not changed, you can still use them as is.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2015

See post below //

edited October 2015

@jdlcrater said:
    Yes. I know how to make a pivot point just fine but I don't like special math lol And Socks is awesome for showing that pivot point demo

I've made you a quick modification, with this project (attached) you can position your actor and the pivot point however you like, and then when you hit play it will show you the three constrains you need to place in your actor, it basically does the special maths for you like before, but now it shows you the values it is using, so you can use those values in your project.

Can't edit my post above, ignore that attachment (there was an error in the angle readout) and use this one instead:

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@stevej said:

So we will need a separate Json file for each actor what about animations, does each frame need a json file?

edited October 2015

@BBEnk said:
    stevej said:
    So we will need a separate Json file for each actor what about animations, does each frame need a json file?

It will be actor based, rather than image based.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@Socks said:

It will be actor based, rather than image based.

So if I have a Animation I will still be limited to one shape?

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@BBEnk said:
    Socks said:

@stevej would have to weigh in for the definitive answer on how doable this would be in the future, but for now, the answer is "one collision volume per actor".

Box2D theoretically supports adding/removing parts to a collision volume on a per-frame basis, but it would be low bang-for-the-buck feature at this point.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

@BBEnk said:
    Socks said:

There are all sorts of tricks you could employ if you wanted an animated collision shape, and now with polygonal collision shapes there are even more.

• Really all I need is the ability to make rectangles smaller than the actor, so I can do enemy collisions the way they should be.