Coming Real Soon Now (tm): Polygonal Collision & App Store GS Viewer

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    Really all I need is the ability to make rectangles smaller than the actor, so I can do enemy collisions the way they should be.

The implication here is that you can. Will need confirmation though.

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314
    edited October 2015

@RossmanBrothersGames you can do it don't use collisions,
    I use 2 actor for 1 object do it in my game Roll Turtle,1 is collisions,1 is image :smile:
    they overlap,
    every obj in my game there are 2 actor for 1 obj.

I think collisions may use create complex terrain is more useful.
    we can create complex terrain use 1 image !

• @kirafu said:
    RossmanBrothersGames you can do it don't use collisions,
    I use 2 actor for 1 object do it in my game Roll Turtle,1 is collisions,1 is image :smile:
    they overlap,
    every obj in my game there are 2 actor for 1 obj.

I think collisions may use create complex terrain is more useful.
    we can create complex terrain use 1 image !

that is what I currently do for the main character but isn't very doable for me with enemies. One that is a ton of constraints. Also I have multiple of the same enemy on screen and many of the enemies are spawned.

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

Great stuff! Having the GS viewer on the APP store allows us to not pay the 99$ apple fee until we are ready to release a game right?

If so, that is awesome too!!

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@dgackey said:
    Box2D theoretically supports adding/removing parts to a collision volume on a per-frame basis, but it would be low bang-for-the-buck feature at this point.

Correct.

@Armelline said:
    The implication here is that you can. Will need confirmation though.

Yes, the collision shape can be smaller than the actor. Or larger, if you want it.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@stevej said:
    Yes, the collision shape can be smaller than the actor. Or larger, if you want it.

Fantastic stuff, this will open up all sorts of possibilities, even beyond accurate collision shapes.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

@Socks said:
    I've made you a quick modification, with this project (attached) you can position your actor and the pivot point however you like, and then when you hit play it will show you the three constrains you need to place in your actor, it basically does the special maths for you like before, but now it shows you the values it is using, so you can use those values in your project.

Can't edit my post above, ignore that attachment (there was an error in the angle readout) and use this one instead:

Whoa. This is different than the method I used lol I made my vectorToAngle in the pivot actor then I used a move rule. OOPS

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

This is literally one of the best things to happen to GameSalad. Man, I'm way more excited than I should be. Great job GameSalad Team!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Would this allow us to have multiple collision shapes per actor?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

edited October 2015

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Would this allow us to have multiple collision shapes per actor?

Depends what you mean. The collision polygons don't have to be connected, so you can have "holes" in your actor. But you can't change the collision data from a behavior, so they can't be changed while your game is running. And as mentioned above, you can't have separate collision shapes for each frame of an animated actor.

edited October 2015

@stevej said:
    The collision polygons don't have to be connected, so you can have "holes" in your actor.

Cool, auto trace a maze layout = instant maze !

You could, in theory, in certain circumstances, do your layout (using the maze example) in Photoshop !?

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

Amazing stuff! Can't wait until this is rolled out.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Wow. Amazing. Excellent. Magical. Great work! :)

Can't wait to get it.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

OMG YES YES YES

nice work guys, I can now continue with my golf game :D really happy

@Socks said:
    You could, in theory, in certain circumstances, do your layout (using the maze example) in Photoshop !?

If you can create a Photoshop plugin that creates the correct JSON file, yes.

@stevej said:
    If you can create a Photoshop plugin that creates the correct JSON file, yes.

You wouldn't need to create a plug-in as you are only working with standard image format files in Photoshop.

Layout your (for example) maze in Photoshop.
    Import image into Physics Body Editor.
    Auto Trace.
    Export data for GameSalad.

Any chance there's a test build going to be offered for this? SO MANY PLANS! I also have a game I was going to make a tutorial for that I got bored of but will be perfect for highlighting the new collision shapes on the Academy.

Yes, I did just do that. Will it work? Probably not but attempted bribery never hurt anyone! (Except that time in Poland which really didn't go well for me.)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Armelline said:
    Any chance there's a test build going to be offered for this? SO MANY PLANS!

Statistically "Coming Real Soon Now (tm)" is after 2 filled forum pages, so it should be about now! Not moving from my desk in anticipation.

@Armelline said:
    Any chance there's a test build going to be offered for this? SO MANY PLANS! I also have a game I was going to make a tutorial for that I got bored of but will be perfect for highlighting the new collision shapes on the Academy.

Yes, I did just do that. Will it work? Probably not but attempted bribery never hurt anyone! (Except that time in Poland which really didn't go well for me.)

No test build. We're hoping to get it out sometime next week. Although currently we're all rained in here in Austin, so that may slow things down. :)

Sounds good! I have several projects just raring to go!

• Spalding004Spalding004 Member, BASIC Posts: 89

@stevej said:
    No test build. We're hoping to get it out sometime next week. Although currently we're all rained in here in Austin, so that may slow things down. :)

The tornado in San Marcos touched down near me this morning. Stay safe guys!

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited October 2015

@dgackey "Box2D theoretically supports adding/removing parts to a collision volume on a per-frame basis, but it would be low bang-for-the-buck feature at this point."

I think if your adding polygon collisions... then it would be counter-productive NOT to have it changeable on a per frame basis. Per-frame would mean that accurate collision can be used for things like fighting games, or games where the object actor changes shape while it moves. Otherwise its a only half complete solution... and will still lead to inaccurate collision on many animated objects.

Better than previous collision (for static shaped objects)... but still not as complete or as useful as it could/should be. Why only do it half baked...? If your going to tackle long overdue features, lets do them properly, we've waited long enough... :)

• That's amazing :D 2 Quick questions:
    -Is the touch area of an actor linked to the hit box?
    -Spriter can make custom hit boxes that changes during the animation. Will that be supported if we extracts the frames?

edited October 2015

@trashdinner@hotmail.com said:
    That's amazing :D 2 Quick questions:
    -Is the touch area of an actor linked to the hit box?

Very good question ! I'm putting my money on yes, the touch area will be defined by the collision shape.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@Socks said:
    Very good question ! I'm putting my money on yes, the touch area will be defined by the collision shape.

I am saying no. Physics engine is separate from touch input handlers.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Honestly i don't care about animated hit boxes! at all! ..

heres why:

The most important thing to me and i expect many people, is having the ability to create scenery actors i.e. platform / level elements that have proper collisions! this will make many games a lot more professional. currently I'm spawning collision actors where i need slopes and various shapes. being able to make my own collisions really keeps me using game salad! rather than moving to competing software. which is almost happening with 2 of my games! but because of this news! I'm staying with GS for them now :)

@scottharrrules43 said:
    I am saying no. Physics engine is separate from touch input handlers.

I based my guess (it really was only a guess) on how circular / rectangular collision shapes work.

• I can't wait to get the answer because my game is about throwing ninja stars on monsters by swiping your finger on them to aim so I'd love the hit box to match the shape but if it means it will be harder for the user to grab the stars it's not good :P

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Socks said:

Not too sure about that. Collision shapes in box2d are based on points Of contact and their are different parts to the system. It could he attached to the rigidbody, fixture or the shape.