Coming Real Soon Now (tm): Polygonal Collision & App Store GS Viewer

Comments

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@owen_dennis said:
    How will the system deal with "position x" then? Will positions be the center of mass or still the center of the actor?

Position is still based on the center of the actor. COM only affects the physics simulation (which controls rotational movement).

Note that changing the COM doesn't affect the scene editor; if you rotate the object there, it still rotates based on the center of the actor.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

You guys are on fire!!! Can't wait!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

I was away for a while, but man, I got so excited when I read this!

• KremelKremel Member, PRO Posts: 51

Was just thinking when GS is going to work on this and then this happened! Great news!

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

@stevej said:
    Got it working, there will be a new attribute under the "Motion" attributes called "Center Of Mass". Your actor will rotate around this point. Note that physics behavior will also be affected by this, since the Box2D physics engine rotates objects around their COM. The default value of x=0, y=0 is the center of an actor, so no change is needed to keep the current behavior.

Oh. My. You guys...

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236

@stevej said:
    Note that changing the COM doesn't affect the scene editor; if you rotate the object there, it still rotates based on the center of the actor.

Oh okay, so to turn something on a different point without physics we would still have to use the formula @Socks brought up?

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

OH! We could do rpgs a lot easier with the custom collisions!

edited November 2015

To those who don't want to deal with Java, we are adding support for the physics shape editor PhysicsEditor, which has a cleaner interface than Physics Body Editor. The down side is that a) the program isn't free (current price is $20), and b) it requires downloading an exporter plugin from us so that the program can write out a file GameSalad can import. You can get the plugin and find instructions on how to use it on the custom collision help page here.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited November 2015

@stevej said:
    To those who don't want to deal with Java, we are adding support for the physics shape editor PhysicsEditor, which has a cleaner interface than Physics Body Editor. The down side is that a) the program isn't free (current price is $20), and b) it requires downloading an exporter plugin from us so that the program can write out a file GameSalad can import. You can get the plugin and find instructions on how to use it on the custom collision help page here.

So I assume since there is already a Cookbook tutorial live, we should be seeing this feature soon, right? :D

EDIT: Like maybe today? :D

More EDIT: Or maybe NOW!? PLEASE? ;)

I'm itching to get my hands on this and do a video tutorial!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@stevej said:

Awesome! I'd have used the Java one if needed, but really glad you're supporting that one too! I tried it out and it's a really easy little app!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Armelline said:
    Awesome! I'd have used the Java one if needed, but really glad you're supporting that one too! I tried it out and it's a really easy little app!

Did you manage to get the GameSalad exporter plug-in to work ? I followed the instructions, but haven't managed to get 'GameSalad' to appear as an option in the exporter pull down ?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@stevej said:

thats great. I think the more options the better.

edited November 2015

@Socks said:

@Armelline said:

Did you manage to get the GameSalad exporter plug-in to work ? I followed the instructions, but haven't managed to get 'GameSalad' to appear as an option in the exporter pull down ?

If you are on Windows, put the "gamesalad" plugin folder under a separate folder (that has nothing else in it), and point the plugin to that folder instead of gamesalad.

Edit: this also works on Mac, so it is now suggested that you create a "PE plugins" directory, extract the "gamesalad" plugin directory under that, and set the "custom exporter directory" to "PE plugins". Make sure you restart PhysicsEditor after that, since it only reads the custom plugins on start-up.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Nice, I had already bought that editor. Haven't played with it yet but getting ready. Will have to mess with it tomorrow!

@stevej said:
    . . . create a "PE plugins" directory, extract the "gamesalad" plugin directory under that, and set the "custom exporter directory" to "PE plugins". Make sure you restart PhysicsEditor after that, since it only reads the custom plugins on start-up.

@stevej

Thanks ! That solved it (I'm on a Mac),

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited November 2015

Now we can have the collision box of an actor smaller than their image. :smiley: And levels with precision collisions. Thank you, Gamesalad.

• HappyKat78HappyKat78 Member, BASIC Posts: 173

When will this be released? I feel like we get teased with no dates. ;-)

@HappyKat78 said:
    When will this be released?

Real Soon™

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks said:

@HappyKat78 said:
    When will this be released?

Real Soon™

At yesterday's Meetup they said next week! ;) How to use the PE was also also demonstrated. Check out the Meetup video when it's up.

The Guru's in depth look at some of the Physics attributes was also very informative.

• patateChaudepatateChaude Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2015

@stevej +1000 for PhysicsEditor.
    Good job on this feature. Can't wait for the release!

Is it next week yet ?

• BellowBellow Bartender Member, PRO Posts: 227

OMG we want it now ! Please please

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

Lots of new ideas popping up. This will be very interesting.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@dgackey said:

@BBEnk said:
    Socks said:
    So if I have a Animation I will still be limited to one shape?

@stevej would have to weigh in for the definitive answer on how doable this would be in the future, but for now, the answer is "one collision volume per actor".

Box2D theoretically supports adding/removing parts to a collision volume on a per-frame basis, but it would be low bang-for-the-buck feature at this point.

The work around for this might be to create a collision shape for each frame and use a change image animated sequence instead of the animation behavior.

@HappyKat78 said:

Barring any unexpected issues, some time this week.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited November 2015

@stevej said:

@HappyKat78 said:

Barring any unexpected issues, some time this week.

I hate Mondays...Let's get on with the week!

• HappyKat78HappyKat78 Member, BASIC Posts: 173

Alright, let's do this! :-)

XmasComesEarlyThisYear

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@HappyKat78 said:
    #XmasComesEarlyThisYear

@Armelline

Purlease ! There are children who view this forum ! :p