GameSalad and Steam -- let's make this happen!

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Great idea guys, voted. All the best! It'd be great for us all to be tied more closely with Steam, and to be part of that massive gaming ecology! :)

• een2drieeen2drie Member, PRO Posts: 30

Voted

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Steam has been reluctant to allow us to distribute their SDK inside GameSalad for very odd reasons. We're hoping that the Greenlight data will convince them that having GS and GS users' games) on Steam will be a great thing for everyone.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

the link doesnt seem to be working for me. can you please confirm that it's still valid?

edited October 2015

@TWO.E it sounds like you're not a big fan of the software, and that's fine, but I'm not really sure what you're hoping to accomplish with that post.

There are great games made with GameSalad and there are not-so-great games. It may surprise you to learn that there are also great games made with Unity and not-so-great games. Ditto Unreal, GameMaker and everything else out there.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

My assumptions would be that they're wary of putting a mobile-centric game development system on their PC-centric platform. Especially when it can't really publish to PC. The similar software they do have, like Construct 2, is definitely more PC-centric, though it seems strange they'd allow that on and not GameSalad.

Yep! Most of the competitive software they have already allowed on Steam has as much mobile capability as GS does. :*

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@dgackey said:
    Steam has been reluctant to allow us to distribute their SDK inside GameSalad for very odd reasons. We're hoping that the Greenlight data will convince them that having GS and GS users' games) on Steam will be a great thing for everyone.

What "odd" reasons?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

I agree there are many good games made with GS , jump jack , get fiquette , heavy sword / super heavy sword , Roll turtle till it comes out , steam punks , a long way home , orcs , sufors adventure , and more i cant name them all :D . Gamesalad is a good engine , and its improving from time to time. I hope Steam gets convinced , it could be a good opportunity to everyone.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@dgackey said:
    Yep! Most of the competitive software they have already allowed on Steam has as much mobile capability as GS does. :*

But more PC/web capacity, which might be the key. Once native Windows publishing is included they may well look more favourably upon GameSalad!

Construct 2 is primarily an HTML5 game making system, with mobile options. GameMaker supports Windows as a key feature. Fusion is a bit more of a mystery, as it supports fewer platforms than GameSalad and is pretty mobile-centric, but they have a very long pedigree.

@Armelline said:
    But more PC/web capacity, which might be the key. Once native Windows publishing is included they may well look more favourably upon GameSalad!

Yeah, we've had this talk with them, it's a bit of a chicken-and-the-egg thing. They're well aware of our commitment to PC going forward. The game now is to show them the demand is there.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited October 2015

The great thing is that there is a substantial, but silent user base of professional users/studios using GS.

These hardly ever participate on the forums, since they don't have questions to ask, and happily develop with what GS offers at the time.

It would be great for these users to also rally behind this effort to allow GS to make a big leap forward for all of us!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Hopscotch said:
    The great thing is that there is a substantial, but silent user base of professional users/studios using GS.

These hardly ever participate on the forums, since they don't have questions to ask, and happily develop with what GS offers at the time.

It would be great for these users to also rally behind this effort to allow GS to make a big leap forward for all of us!

yea, methinks it's time for a newsletter going out to all the opted-in users of GS

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

Voted! Hope Steam has a change of heart.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

I would suspect Valve wants to see a 'marquee', serious, non-casual, definitely-not-a-mobile-game submitted and passed through Greenlight. A lot of the early comments on A Long Way Home were basically "Eugh, a mobile game? How pedestrian. I'd rather uninstall Steam than associate with such things. PC Master Race 4 lyfe."

A disproportionately vocal sub-group of Steam users have that entrenched 'Gamer' cliquish-ness where don't like when people like what they don't like, and they kick up a stink. Valve gets a lot of flack over basically anything that isn't triple-a hardcore releases, or even is simply a port. Those users feel disrespected when something isn't specifically tailored to them, and loudly object.

If they unlock things for us, there will be a similar unlocking of complaining about having unlocked things for who the users consider an 'out-group'. There's elitism in a corner the customer base that likely will need to be won over before Valve will be won over, because of how disruptive they can be. We may not be the problem, but our presence could cause a problem.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Going beyond drumming up support, even though Valve is aware of your intentions for .exe export, wouldn't it be more likely to be approved for sale if this was in there 100% right now?

Currently it doesn't seem like it being on steam benefits Valve much, since looking at Gamesalad from the outside, it appears only capable of making crappy mobile games (which I know to be false from developing a fully featured and handpainted RPG for several years now).

It's essentially only appealing to people who are already using Gamesalad, and are active on the forums. Not new users interested in software or Valve themselves. Then again, the software section of greenlit isn't exactly the most visited area of steam.

Anyway, I really do hope this gets greenlit, and I agree with the sentiments about the newsletter and getting more people who don' normally visit the forums involved.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

Actually, yeah. That makes more sense. Given the lack of explicit .exe support, Game Salad is basically only capable of directly feeding Steam's 'competitors', like Kongregate. Game Salad's current state does abjectly nothing for Steam. You could say Game Salad would divide and disrupt Steam's maker community more that it would aid it since they can't directly feed inward to Steam, but only outward to non-Steam.

• app_sauceapp_sauce Member, PRO Posts: 206

I have never bought a game on Steam. I know it's a big deal for pc gamers but I am not a pc gamer. I always thought of steam as a launching ground to the consoles. If someone's indie game did well enough on Steam you would eventually see that game on ps/xbox. But, I don't think gs will be offering console exports anytime soon. I'd rather have all of the standard mobile features to monetize,share and network but guess having the ability to sell on steam would be a great feature to get more devs using gs. Just a quick question though, does gs need Steams support for us to sell our games on steam? Or can gs just make exe exports available and then we could submit to Steam. Is the gs steam campaign just for gs to sell gs subscriptions on Steam?

SocializeTwitter , **My Site ** **Play Loop Zen Free **iOS HERE, Google Play HERE

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Voted, and seeing as I have Air Supply SOS on Greenlight already, I'm looking forward to having full Steam capable games via GS.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493295359

The audience is very different for sure.

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited October 2015

@bktennis12 said:
    I have never bought a game on Steam. I know it's a big deal for pc gamers but I am not a pc gamer. I always thought of steam as a launching ground to the consoles. If someone's indie game did well enough on Steam you would eventually see that game on ps/xbox.

For Fez, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Braid and many others it was the other way around. They launched on consoles and ported to steam. And they earned much more money on Steam compared to consoles.

Here's an interesting article from Braid creator http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.315476-Console-Ports-Are-Not-Worth-It-Says-Braid-Dev

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180

I tried to vote but Steam doesn't let me vote gives me an error

"Your account does not meet the requirements to use this feature. Visit Steam Support for more information."

:(

A lot of other things, like trading and event eligibility, requires the account to be at least two weeks old and over level 5.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

@quantumsheep said:
    Voted, and seeing as I have Air Supply SOS on Greenlight already, I'm looking forward to having full Steam capable games via GS.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493295359

The audience is very different for sure.

QS =D

Hi Quantumsheep, how have you do to make PC version of steam? It has been GS? Thanks

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@casualevolution said:
    Hi Quantumsheep, how have you do to make PC version of steam? It has been GS? Thanks

The game is definitely made in GameSalad - Greenlighting a game can take a while though - I figured the GS Team might be ready by the time it gets through!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• NalycanNalycan Member, PRO Posts: 96

Voted!

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

Voted!

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Voted and commented: "I have worked with GameSalad for years. It's an awesome tool and lately the development of the tool itself got a lot better. They update often and listen to there community (which was a problem in the past). The community itself is awesome too. Lots of great people helping noobs and each other."

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

So, we've been working on some cool tech that will allow you to export actors, scenes, and behaviors from your project. And, then, import them into another project. When you export something, the exported package includes everything needed to make that item work (behaviors, images, attributes, sounds, etc.) Our goal is to use the Steam Workshop to empower the sharing of these creations. So, getting us on Steam is double plus good!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2015

@CodeWizard sounds really interesting !!
    Would this be able to handle actors with animated sequences (not using the animation behaviour) ? For example an actor whose image is constrained to its own X position, so you might have - say - 102 images and the image is constrained to X/10 (on a 1024 pixel landscape iPad project), so as it moves left and right the image changes accordingly.

Would this system be able to look that far into the actor and know that it needs to include the 102 images as part of the exported package ?