GameSalad and Steam -- let's make this happen!

Comments

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Socks Yes. That's the idea. :)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

NICE!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@CodeWizard said:
    @Socks Yes. That's the idea. :)

Cool ! :)

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@CodeWizard very cool!
    BTW, how's the Greenlight campaign doing?

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• JanobeJanobe Member, PRO Posts: 46

VOTEDDD!!!! Of Course we support this! Our games on Steam??? woowwww Awesome!

Greetingsss!

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Received an email from Stephan...... Voted.

• BenSawyerBenSawyer Member, PRO Posts: 37

Voted as well. Good luck!

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Thanks everybody! You rock!

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Glad to see the email prompted so much activity!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• pjburnhillpjburnhill Brighton, UKMember Posts: 18

Wasn't even aware of the Greenlight push until I saw the email! Glad you sent it - voted!

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2015

@CodeWizard said:
    So, we've been working on some cool tech that will allow you to export actors, scenes, and behaviors from your project. And, then, import them into another project. When you export something, the exported package includes everything needed to make that item work (behaviors, images, attributes, sounds, etc.) Our goal is to use the Steam Workshop to empower the sharing of these creations. So, getting us on Steam is double plus good!

This sounds awesome, but I have to say, it always felt like a huge handicap not to be able to do this anyway - I would have liked this functionality to be available without having to go through the steam workshop - ie. a selectable list of actors, scenes, etc, that you elect to export from your project, built right into the GS editor?

I bought DB's and GSH's excellent external utils, which are a life-saver, but a couple of the export/merge apps can throw a hissy fit or fail to export properly for reasons unknown to me, for certain projects. I don't think it's wholly down to DB's code either, as the issues I had trying to fix huge problems with my PC projects missing attributes, etc, etc, when moving to Mac, almost made me give up!

Hence, In short, this sounds great to have INSIDE GS @CodeWizard, and I've voted for this (and @quantumsheep's Greenlight too... ;) ), but in all fairness, I really feel that development has been massively held back by not being able to just share and re-use (by importing, rather than copying and stripping (then realising you needed extra bits from the donor or other) donor projects.

The massive amount of time to do this sort of otherwise straightforward mundane work (and don't get me started on manually creating custom fonts, STILL, then the resulting custom code and routines to display the (otherwise) simplest things like scores and help screens etc, with those resource-hungry, cobbled together bunch of character images) has eaten up literally WEEKS of my time, and is a perfect example of what should be fixed before GS can be really considered a fully-featured, 100% professional product - I took twice as long to get my game finished as I would have done without the migration, font, etc overheads and issues! :(

BTW, I say this out of LOVE for GS, guys - I truly think that it's fantastic DESPITE the 'quirks' and huge holes in functionality, but it really, really does get on my proverbials, spending sooooo much time manually doing what should be do-able with an extra menu option or two (yes, with a lot of cool code behind it, I don't doubt that, but by the sounds of it you guys are close on solution this anyway!)...

Let's get it in there in GS for us paying supporters, and not dangle it like a carrot, you teases! - you know we'll vote anyway ;) , like I say, I have (and left a GS-defensive comment back to someone who'd got it completely wrong about GS's pricing tier! - $299 a month?! - that's a damaging, blatantly incorrect comment to have on the Greenlight page) :( )

One last thing before I get too excited.... ...This Windows/Steam native EXE thing? - is it with the core native GS engine functionality that runs so well on Mac, and pretty well on PC? ....as opposed to yet another clunky and buggy HTML5 wrapper, massively affected performance on smooth scrolling games etc? - Please tell me it's NOT a speed/compatibility impaired option, and I'll be behind you 110%...

Cheers, phew!

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

Just voted you YES and left a nice comment. It would be nice to see you on Steam and especially the ability to share actors/scenes/etc... although how the copyrights are going to work on that.... ugh... I hate to think on it.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

I was on Steam today with both my Mac and Pc Laptop. I searched for GameSalad in Steam Greenlight and I cant even find it. Im not looking for a link...Im just saying it looks like to me unless its us in the community or some other forum/website or whatever...people on steam cant even vote for it. Not only that....there are 4800 other creators/tools/softwares in green light. This quickly made me feel we are going to be waiting a very long time to not only get the creator on steam...but any game we make cuz there are some way kick A$$ looking games that GS cant make...just sitting there.

:-(. Very discouraging. Sorry to be a poopy pants but...well there it is. I would love for it to be available though for sure.

edited November 2015

We're not sure what's going on with that but are looking into it.

What we do know is that we are in the Top 15 now, but we need to keep going, so please make sure you share the link with your friends and family who use Steam and are eligible to vote.

http://j.mp/GameSaladOnSteam

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257
    edited November 2015

@Thunder_Child said:
    This quickly made me feel we are going to be waiting a very long time to not only get the creator on steam...but any game we make cuz there are some way kick A$$ looking games that GS cant make...just sitting there.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/news/?appid=765
    It's weird that the last batch release news was so long ago, but the TL;DR is that they greenlight maybe 25-75 projects every 4-6 weeks. And say this:

"Votes in Greenlight give us a hugely valuable point of data in gauging community interest along with external factors such as press reviews, crowd-funding successes, performance on other similar platforms, and awards and contests to help form a more complete picture of community interest in each title."

Given the throughput rate of projects, and the fact that it's more than just raw votes to get greenlit, I figure it's still possible to get onto Steam, but the crux will be success on other platforms like Kongregate, or winning local awards.

Very interesting link about the challenges of getting on Greenlight from Devs who have, includes their suggestions on how to improve your chances of being greenlit

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/203994/revisiting_greenlight.php?print=1

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435
    edited December 2015

We're Greenlit! Thanks everyone for voting for us!

Now the fun begins!

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Awesome! Congrats GS!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Great news!

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

This is incredible news, grats!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Woohoo!

• Waiting for Steam integration.. this opens a new world!!

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

So I guess now my questions to the GS Team are:

1) Does Greenlighting mean Game Salad now has the option to integrate and offer API tools like Steam Cards?
    2) If so, when would be appropriate for us to start requesting and voting on Steam API features?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Congrats!

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@Moik said:
    So I guess now my questions to the GS Team are:

1) Does Greenlighting mean Game Salad now has the option to integrate and offer API tools like Steam Cards?
    2) If so, when would be appropriate for us to start requesting and voting on Steam API features?

Yes, and now. It would actually be extremely helpful to know how important the community ranks things like Steam achievements & cards, etc vs, say, Apple TV or other highly-requested features.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Whoo congratz!

Follow us: Twitter - Website