GameSalad and Steam -- let's make this happen!

Comments

• digitalzerodigitalzero Member, BASIC Posts: 639

So how do we do this now... Is there a place I can find some research this?

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@Japster The windows engine is fully native. No more clunky HTML5 wrapper.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257
    edited December 2015

For everyone's voting needs:
    Steam Cards - http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1520
    Steam Achievements - http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1521
    Friend Data Access - http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1522
    In-App Purchase - http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1523

At the moment, no other Steamworks API-specific feature requests seem to be in, only requests for Steamworks API support in general. So if people want Matchmaking, VAC, Leaderboards, Steam Cloud, Inventory Access, Workshop Creation, or whatever; those can still be added. These are simply the four I specifically want.

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

Good job GS!!! B) It'll be fun seeing all the great things that come of this. I love collecting steam trading cards and getting badges with random profile wallpapers and emojis! So much cool stuff to hope for. :)

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Ok so now that we are "lit up" :+1:

What will this mean?

1.Does this mean the Creator will be available on Steam?

2.Does this mean games made with Mac creator and PC creator can be put on Steam?

3.Does this mean only the creator downloaded through steam can make games available for Steam and only playable through Steam?

4.Can Steam creator made game be piblished to mobile devices?

5.Is this a seperate creator and need to be purchased seperately from our current version?

6.Will Steam creator users be part/merged with oir lovely community?

I hooe these are legit questions and not been covered...I feel Ive lost touch with what all was going to happen with this.

Thanks TC

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Thunder_Child said:
    Ok so now that we are "lit up" :+1:

What will this mean?

1.Does this mean the Creator will be available on Steam?

Yes. We'll be working on getting it launched there soon.

2.Does this mean games made with Mac creator and PC creator can be put on Steam?

Yes, eventually -- we have to integrate their SDK, and your games still have to be approved by Steam the same as games made by any other tool. But the doors are now open.

3.Does this mean only the creator downloaded through steam can make games available for Steam and only playable through Steam?

No. Once we roll out Steam-enabled publishing targets, you will be able to create Steam games with GameSalad regardless of whether you purchased GS from us or on Steam.

4.Can Steam creator made game be piblished to mobile devices?

Yes. You will be able to publish mobile games with any GS Creator you purchase. Nothing changes for mobile apps.

5.Is this a seperate creator and need to be purchased seperately from our current version?

If you already have GS, you will not need to purchase anything, and your experience will not change. People who don't have GS and learn about it via Steam will be able to purchase it from Steam once we launch it there.

6.Will Steam creator users be part/merged with oir lovely community?

Steam has its own community, and we'll probably have to maintain a presence both there and here.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• BenSawyerBenSawyer Member, PRO Posts: 37

@dgackey Congratulations! Nice execution on this. Excited for you guys.

Thanks Ben! We couldn't have done it without you guys! Sincere thanks to everyone who voted for us and shared with their friends. The strength of our community really tipped the scales in our favor here. It's something we should all be proud of.

I wonder if GamerDNA forums would be a good forum for the Steam version...even though its not a game I bet it would be available...just a thought. Our gaming clan had a gamerDNA for [51/50]. Me and two other are admins there for the clan but it hasnt been active for a couple of years since HL2DM days have come and gone...:-(

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Great work !! :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

This is really great news! Congrats to the GameSalad team! Hope this brings in lots of new subscribers!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited December 2015

I dream for the day where jobs for senior level gs devs are as plenty as unity/unreal developers :)

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@jonmulcahy said:
    I dream for the day where jobs for senior level gs devs are as plenty as unity/unreal developers :)

So do we. :)

@Thunder_Child thank you for asking my question more properly... Now, I'm working on a mobile game... How difficult would it be to make my mobile game into a pc game that steam can have because although I love working on mobile games...mi think a pc game on steam would be the way to go because when I do my Kickstarter I would love for ppl to have steam keys to play at their leisure... @dgackey can you please explain this?

@digitalzero

The most time-consuming part about what you're describing is going to be simply building a game that is designed for desktop users, if you've been designing entirely for mobile up to this point.

Steam users are going to be playing your game with mouse and keyboard, though there are lots of benefits to having a game that can be controlled entirely with joystick (Steam Big Picture mode / Steambox support, etc).

Once this is done, the primary thing you'll be waiting on us for is native Windows publishing with full-screen support and some of the other goodies that are expected of a typical Steam game. You could, in theory, already develop a native Mac app that could be submitted to Steam. But most Steam products are PC first or PC and Mac. So we want to get that done.

Steam's SDK supports all kinds of things like Achievements, IAP, in-game virtual item drops and trading cards, and so on -- we'll be looking at all of these and integrating them next.

Ultimately, though, to get a game onto Steam, you need to be Greenlit or otherwise approved by Valve, which means you're going to need to have a game that is designed for, and works well on desktops, and it's something the Steam community wants. Once you are approved, you get a product ID and can log in and sign all your publishing documentation with Valve.

You'll set up your IAP, Achievements and virtual items using Steam's web interface -- eventually, when the corresponding behaviors are ready in Creator, you'll just reference the item to be purchased or achievement to be unlocked and it'll "just work" when your Steam build is played.

Omg so @dgackey you're telling me I am going to have to start all the way over? Would this include resizing and everything? Geese please tell me it's not so.... I got over 120 scenes already!!!

Also... Getting your games on steam does that mean that we would be able to submit our games to ps4 and whatnot too... How do ppl do that?

Do I change it to a legacy web game?

Than also what happens when I wanna preview.... Could I still do that on the Mac? Sorry I'm freaking out right now because is will be verrrrrryyyyy time consuming!

• @digitalzero said:
    Omg so @dgackey you're telling me I am going to have to start all the way over? Would this include resizing and everything? Geese please tell me it's not so.... I got over 120 scenes already!!!

no you won't need to start over, you'll just need to make sure your game plays well with keyboard controls. For some type's of games this won't be too hard.

I think he was just making the point the getting a game on steam requires a very well designed game to get greenlit. A decent mobile game with not very well ported keyboard controls probably wouldn't make it. It is going to be much different than just submitting a game to the app store.

• @digitalzero said:
    Also... Getting your games on steam does that mean that we would be able to submit our games to ps4 and whatnot too... How do ppl do that?

no, Gamesalad would need to get approved by sony to get the right data to make this possible, and you as a developer would need pre approval from sony. This probably wouldn't happen until a GS user makes a game that does really well on steam and sony wanted it on the ps4.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@digitalzero said:

Depending on the resolution your assets are, the resolutions you wish to support, the way your camera logic (universal build or targeted) is set up, and if you have any keyboard controls in place will greatly change how long it takes to make a game steam ready.

With the right camera logic and iPad sized art assets it shouldn't be too hard to get the visual side down quickly i'd imagine. After all, resolutions and aspect ratios don't change too much between whats standard in mobile and desktop.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

so it looks like im going to have to resize everything too right?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@digitalzero said:
    so it looks like im going to have to resize everything too right?

what is your project size now? I would not count on portrait games being greenlit, they scream mobile port, and the steam community is very against those.

i started on a damn iphone app lol hahahaha... you know... i wanted to make my levels more interesting anyways i guess this is a nice push... my game is not really a mobile type of game anyways... which is what my boyfriend tells me... but i have been sizing my images and going off of the 480 by 320 dealio... i see its much bigger when it gets switched to desktop version... what would be the math in that, making them bigger because i can just go into each actor and size it a little bigger and replace them... GOD. thats a lot of work! but it will totally be worth it in the end... i need advice though... is doing all of this work really worth it? would having something on steam be more lucrative than having it as a mobile app? it would be a damn big mobile app but i really think i have something solid here! And also, i am still thinking of using my 480 by 320 method because i dont want EXTREMELY clear images and then some more pixelated images... which im ok with because its kind of an old school game... i have over 40 levels, 8 bosses, 8 mini bosses, 30 guns, 9 playable characters... the whole list of other things!

its a horizontal game

Well it appears this Steam thang is going to be great for GameSalad and us and new users....I can really appreciate the effort put into making this happen. Im very excited about it.

so i figured out the math i just gotta times it by 1.5... is there an easy way to do this to all of my images because i was thinking about just adding all of them into photoshop and throwing them back into gamesalad...

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Awesome! Congrats GS!

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    I think he was just making the point the getting a game on steam requires a very well designed game to get greenlit.

Haven't watched much Jim Sterling, then? His "best of Steam Greenlight" is an exercise in horror.