New Release 1.25.61 is Available

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Hopscotch said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Is it the former or latter you all are having issues with?

We are probably talking about the same thing. The issue we see is this:

Clicking on a large actor to open, will show the beach-ball for a long time, before actually opening and displaying the rules. Navigating the rules or opening collapsed behaviors is also extremely so. Same thing when backing out of the actor back to scene view.

Ah gotcha, yep sounds like what I was talking about.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207

have you guys tried adding more Ram? i realize that problem is gone once i added more ram than the system needs. decided to try that when i saw GS use up 1-2.5GB of ram at one point. something that of illustrator size.

and i work with large actors too.. opens up much slower on my laptop of 4gb memory than desktop.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

I have 16 Gb of ram and the fastest CPU currently available on MacBook Pro, so that is not the problem.

edited June 2016

obviously not the most cost effective way to solve the problem. i also had 16gb on my mac pro and it was lagging, just upgraded to 64 and the lag is gone, in fact i was able to work so much more efficiently just scrolling and copying expression. But i suppose macbook pro max out at 16? i don't know how much ram it needs. looking at memory pressure it certainly doesn't use anywhere close to 16 so i'm not sure where the performance came about, i only upgraded the memory for CAD use. GS was just the little nudge i need to see if it worked.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@ultima said:
    obviously not the most cost effective way to solve the problem. i also had 16gb on my mac pro and it was lagging, just upgraded to 64 and the lag is gone, in fact i was able to work so much more efficiently just scrolling and copying expression. But i suppose macbook pro max out at 16? i don't know how much ram it needs. looking at memory pressure it certainly doesn't use anywhere close to 16 so i'm not sure where the performance came about, i only upgraded the memory for CAD use.

I've only got 8GB and have never experienced any of the slow down issues.

edited June 2016

so maybe the hard drive? maybe it's using swap ? random guess. just trying to be helpful. large memory bank was just to avoid using swap when you have other programming running or when hard drive is almost full, OS X runs not at it's optimal and GS suffers significantly. but of course ideally the problem is solved at it's source.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

I have 880 Gb available on a 1Tb Flash Storage drive, so I don't think that is the problem either. When I am using GameSalad with more complex actors it is using about 3 Gb of Ram and that does not fluctuate a lot when I go in and out of heavy actors, so that should be fine as well. However, the CPU goes from around 5-10% usage to 110-160% usage when I open the complex actors and scroll down. It stays above 100% for more than a minute and then returns to normal levels.

sounds like CPU might be the bottleneck in your case? everyone has different system setup and, well laptop and cpu. nothing you can do for now =( it would be nice if it's further optimized on GS end, i work on laptop quite a lot too. it's seriously under powered for this version to work smoothly.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

I have the cheapest mini mac & not much slowdowns

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

My main actor is fairly large and complex, and will crash 95% of the time. If I go into the actor, then back out, then back in again....then preview it crashes.if I don't preview it just locks up with a black screen.

Is anyone else having this problem. Here is a vid of the problem I am having

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i3w2rx46hed281/crash.mov?dl=0

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@quinn221 I'm having that problem with some projects and some actors but not others. The size of the actor doesn't appear to be the main factor, as I can go into some huge actors with no problems and can't with other, small ones.

@Armelline said:
    @quinn221 I'm having that problem with some projects and some actors but not others. The size of the actor doesn't appear to be the main factor, as I can go into some huge actors with no problems and can't with other, small ones.

@Armelline said:

It is so frustrating...not sure what to do. I even rebuild the actor...still crashes.

i've found this version to be a bit less forgiving to logic(script) error, i've made some changes to my logic and previewing will crash on device, and I couldn't find the culprit.

• TobyToby Member Posts: 478

Seems even snappier than before, good work - All projects running really well!

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I think it has trouble with the gamesalad viewer on ios, does that mean we have to wait for an update to the viewer?

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

anyone?

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278

@smurfted if you have issue on GS viewer that when u preview on mobile it crashes, there is a workaround for it, open GS viewer on mobile, open recent games and leave this page, and on PC hit Preview on mobile, then it will load whole game on GS viewer with out crash, once fully loaded you will see frame rate on your PC, then you need to close GS on your mobile, and then reopen GS viewer and open the game from recent games, it will not crash this time but it will not be connected to your PC

• WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91

Thanks @Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) - worked for me :)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Worked a while with this build now and i love it
    no crashes and almost no slowdowns :) happy

@freneticz said:

Wait until you see how fast the next one is!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Armelline said:

@freneticz said:

What? It goes fast in all gears... including reverse! Reincarnate old projects. :o

@Armelline said:

@freneticz said:

Crazy Fast And fixed all my problems!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Did the GS team submit a build for testing ?

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@icebox seems so. I wonder what features were added. I suppose this is the education push they have been working on.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    edited July 2016

I may have found a Bug and made a report. Be careful with the Play button, see below.

• Add one or more game attributes for example a boolean.
    • Make a new actor
    • Add in this actor a change attribute and change a game attribute. Example change boolean to true.
    • Place the actor on the scene and hit the Play button (not the preview button but the one just above the scene)
    • Open the game attributes tab
    • See the actor is changed
    • Hit the Reset scene button or stop the playing scene any other way.
    • Look at the game attributes now and see that the game attributes are still changed and did not go back to there default value.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

I'm using the new build and while it is much better I'm still seeing the problem where the media and behaviors in the bottom left window disappear from time to time and the only way to get them to show is to exit and re-open the actor. Sometimes this needs to be done several times.

And occasionally the green play button is grayed out and the only way I can activate it is by closing and re-opening GameSalad. Don't know what's causing that.

@KevinCross said:
    I'm using the new build and while it is much better I'm still seeing the problem where the media and behaviors in the bottom left window disappear from time to time and the only way to get them to show is to exit and re-open the actor. Sometimes this needs to be done several times.

And occasionally the green play button is grayed out and the only way I can activate it is by closing and re-opening GameSalad. Don't know what's causing that.

Be sure to submit bug reports! Both are issues that have been present in the past, so there might be bugs already. If so, add any information you can. If there aren't any reports already these are probably bugs that have cropped up again due to the extensive under the hood work being done at the moment.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@KevinCross said:

That is usually caused by some kind of communication delay between your computer and GS servers. When you start up GS, it needs to authenticate your Basic or Pro status and that grays out the play button. Once it successfully logs you in, it should become green, but not always does. What usually work for me is opening up an actor and then pressing the home button.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@pHghost said:

@KevinCross said:

That is usually caused by some kind of communication delay between your computer and GS servers. When you start up GS, it needs to authenticate your Basic or Pro status and that grays out the play button. Once it successfully logs you in, it should become green, but not always does. What usually work for me is opening up an actor and then pressing the home button.

Thanks, that would make sense as I've been having intermittent problems with my broadband over the last few days